Sponsored

TSB steering box review

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I’ve had a 2013 JK, a 2017 JKUR, and this new gladiator. I’m well versed in the handling of solid axle vehicles. The gladiator’s steering is horrible from the factory. Mine had a significant deadzone, and constantly pulled to the right.

I dropped my Jt at the dealer with a 3.5” lift, including control arms, and 37s. Originally the TSB says to just replace it upon complaint, but that’s either updated or it didn’t happen. They test drove mine, and also noticed the pull. They inspected the suspension on the rack and did not notice any problems. They confirmed the steering box sucked, and replaced it: box, bolts, software, and fluid. The tech stated the pull was gone.

As soon as I got inside and before I turned on the ignition, I could feel the deadzone was gone. Not rack and pinion gone, but exactly as I remember it from my JK. Driving home was simply amazing. No pull, no deadzone. I still had to make corrections as a solid axle will require, but the pull is definitely gone.

If you haven’t done this yet— do it. If you think “eh I can live with it, it’s not that bad”— do it. It’s a hassle to ever deal with a dealership service department, but man, what an upgrade. The gladiator driving experience was always meant to be this way and I’m extremely happy with the results.

Unrelated pics just to have pics.

E12E7663-9FDA-48F0-BA34-84EAB1348323.jpeg

39D45AF8-7063-4973-BF12-0607FB81F5F5.jpeg

38562A1B-256E-4849-97CA-F542AE811CA0.jpeg
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I still don't understand the constant reference to "Solid axles" having steering or handling issues. That disappeared years ago.
There's no reason for these to not handle like any truck with IFS and many cars even.
If solid axles were a problem in any way, then the Grand Cherokee would have never survived. It was solid axle for years - and handles fine - NO corrections needed, nor should they be needed.
Mine drives and handles about like my Chevy did. It's actually a bit better than one of my cars.
However - lifts and big heavy tires - that's a different animal. But stock, there's no reason for any need for steering corrections. IF it's necessary on a stock Jeep, then there's a problem.

Once I had the TSB performed, the need for "corrections" on my JT fully disappeared.

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
Mine never had any steering issues at all. Tracks straight , can let go of wheel at 75 and stays straight. Can easily drive it with one hand...no dead zone....Have stock aluminum steering box.

I've had several new trucks and cars over the past 10 years, including 2014 jku. The steering is just as good if not better than some of those.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I still have have the old steering box after inspecting mine again but I don't have any dead spots or pulling, mine drives perfect. Are some just bad or is it just a matter of time before mine goes bad. I'm lifted on 35's for 13,000 of 13,500 miles and mine still drives awesome. I'm just curious as why some are failing and some not.

tsyj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I still have have the old steering box after inspecting mine again but I don't have any dead spots or pulling, mine drives perfect. Are some just bad or is it just a matter of time before mine goes bad. I'm lifted on 35's for 13,000 of 13,500 miles and mine still drives awesome. I'm just curious as why some are failing and some not.
That's the question I have. Mine isn't bad, but my Wife definitely noticed it on a long drive so I took mine in to get the parts ordered before I did my lift and tires. Who knows how well that aluminum part will hold up in 50,000 miles?

I'm not fond of having to have a critical part replaced on a new vehicle with 500 miles on it, but it is what it is.

Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
I still don't understand the constant reference to "Solid axles" having steering or handling issues. That disappeared years ago.
There's no reason for these to not handle like any truck with IFS and many cars even.
If solid axles were a problem in any way, then the Grand Cherokee would have never survived.
Agreed, 110%. Where does this solid axle stuff come from? My old YJ drove like it was on rails... I drove that thing all over the place, steered with my knees, while huffing down Subway sandwiches...rolled dead straight ahead.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'm in the same camp, pretty much anyway. I do feel a slight pull to the crown of the road, but I've had my hands off the steering wheel on the highway for 10+ seconds and stayed in my lane. I'm also a left hand driver at 12 o'clock most of the time and been comfortable, not white knuckling like I've seen others say. So my issue is subtle at best. I do want to get the new steering box though, because like you're asking, is mine just doomed to fail eventually, or make me more prone to a death wobble down the road?? That's enough for me to want to get it taken care of, bit haven't gotten around to it yet, because it does drive nicely as is.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's interesting that you mentioned software.

I too have owned many Jeeps. ZJ, WJ, YJ, 2 of the JKUs, and a JLU as well as the JT if we're talking only sold axle Jeeps. They all drove exactly the same, and wonderful, EXCEPT the JLU. It was TERRIBLE. Constant input into the steering wheel just to maintain a straight line. I drove it like that for months hoping the bushings or steering stabilizer would wear in or maybe the steering box would loosen up. Never happened.

Then one day I had to take the JLU in for an airbag recall. The recall advised the technician to reflash ALL of the onboard computers and upload the latest calibrations. Took about an hour.

As soon as I left the dealership... WOW. Totally different Jeep! Steering was NORMAL. That Jeep drove perfect after that. I didn't even take it in for the steering issue, but the steering was resolved immediately with a simple software update.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the same camp, pretty much anyway. I do feel a slight pull to the crown of the road, but I've had my hands off the steering wheel on the highway for 10+ seconds and stayed in my lane. I'm also a left hand driver at 12 o'clock most of the time and been comfortable, not white knuckling like I've seen others say. So my issue is subtle at best. I do want to get the new steering box though, because like you're asking, is mine just doomed to fail eventually, or make me more prone to a death wobble down the road?? That's enough for me to want to get it taken care of, bit haven't gotten around to it yet, because it does drive nicely as is.
I guess the other question I have is how do you go about getting the new steering box. Is it a request it and get it type thing or do you have to have problems. Mine has no issues like others have said they have. My doesn't pull at all and it has zero play in the wheel and I can drive it with one figure and not feel like I'm going to loose control.

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
If your Jeep is "driving fine" then you're lucky! Mine wasn't too bad (I didn't think) but it did wander around in it's lane...tended to almost dart between the lines and I felt like it was always needing a correction. The steering felt really lite. My wife refused to drive it.

According to the tech at my dealership that fixed it, the software update is critical as it calms down the electric power steering. This update combined with the heavier steering box is what fixes the problem. Okay...

Once I had it done...HOLY CRAP! What a difference! I truly had no idea how bad it was until it was gone. It really is a whole new experience. Tracks straight, no wander, doesn't dart, steering is comfortably heavy - much more like a car.

If you're on the fence about having this done, try and find someone who's had it fixed and, if they'll let you, test drive their truck. If you can't find anyone who trusts you ( :LOL: ), maybe driving a 2021 with the new box and software will demonstrate the change for you. Regardless, don't just dismiss it as too much trouble and not worth the effort - you won't be sorry.

Just my $.02.

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Had the box replaced last week ....... still have a dead zone. Approximately 1.5-2” of steering wheel movement Before anything happens. .....FML....

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I guess the other question I have is how do you go about getting the new steering box. Is it a request it and get it type thing or do you have to have problems. Mine has no issues like others have said they have. My doesn't pull at all and it has zero play in the wheel and I can drive it with one figure and not feel like I'm going to loose control.
So I believe you do need to be at least exhibiting the symptoms of wander or pull, etc that are listed on the TSB. I think this is why many dealers want you to bring it in so they can test and confirm the symptoms. Though reading through the extensive thread on this forum, it seems some dealers will schedule the fix sight unseen as long as you describe the symptoms.

Again mine seems subtle at best, but it took really paying attention when I was driving to really notice how much I'm correcting. It's not hard by any means, but I am correcting, and if I drive my wife's car for a minute and then come back, it's a lot easier to notice. You're saying you have no symptoms, but maybe you're like me and they're subtle, especially when you're used to it.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If solid axles were a problem in any way, then the Grand Cherokee would have never survived. It was solid axle for years - and handles fine - NO corrections needed, nor should they be needed.
Mine drives and handles about like my Chevy did. It's actually a bit better than one of my cars.
However - lifts and big heavy tires - that's a different animal. But stock, there's no reason for any need for steering corrections. IF it's necessary on a stock Jeep, then there's a problem.

Once I had the TSB performed, the need for "corrections" on my JT fully disappeared.
Solid axles will always handle worse than IFS beacuse the steering box doesn't allow for the tolerances a steering rack is capable of on a longer timeline; there will always be more play unless you want to throw durability to the wind.

The ZJ survived because steering in general was vague and mediocre on every SUV at the time. It's a very different world 25 years later where SUVs barely still exist and people have updated expectations.

I'm not saying the JL/JT is acceptable because I have an appointment in about 3 hours to get mine taken care of but let's not kid ourselves and think this truck is going to handle like a Tacoma or something... it's just not going to happen.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Solid axles will always handle worse than IFS beacuse the steering box doesn't allow for the tolerances a steering rack is capable of on a longer timeline; there will always be more play unless you want to throw durability to the wind.

The ZJ survived because steering in general was vague and mediocre on every SUV at the time. It's a very different world 25 years later where SUVs barely still exist and people have updated expectations.

I'm not saying the JL/JT is acceptable because I have an appointment in about 3 hours to get mine taken care of but let's not kid ourselves and think this truck is going to handle like a Tacoma or something... it's just not going to happen.
Whoa! This is not about racks vs gears/sectors. Mine does handle about as well as my ifs chevy did.
Sponsored