Tuners for Manual Transmission

DaytonOhioGladiator

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I can't seem to find out what options there are out there that will help manual trans Gladiators with the standard 3.6 V6. I'd like to improve throttle response and get some power gains, but almost everything I see talks about gains for automatics, mainly.

Have you guys had experience with the manual trans and tuners? If so, what brands have you tried? Thanks!
Sponsored

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I can't seem to find out what options there are out there that will help manual trans Gladiators with the standard 3.6 V6. I'd like to improve throttle response and get some power gains, but almost everything I see talks about gains for automatics, mainly.

Have you guys had experience with the manual trans and tuners? If so, what brands have you tried? Thanks!
As long as you tune the motor part you will be OK. Otherwise you have to go the import way - flywheel change, CAI, maybe a turbo and exhaust. but why??

OP
OP
DaytonOhioGladiator

DaytonOhioGladiator

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Why get better throttle response and get power gains? Because the throttle response is awful and Gladiator's are terribly under powered. I have owned many Jeeps in the past and this is the worst for being underpowered, except for my 4 banger YJ back in the day.

I am not looking for a sports car or even to make it fast, but if a simple tuner can make it more drivable, I would like info on them from people who have used them on their trucks.

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Why get better throttle response and get power gains? Because the throttle response is awful and Gladiator's are terribly under powered. I have owned many Jeeps in the past and this is the worst for being underpowered, except for my 4 banger YJ back in the day.

I am not looking for a sports car or even to make it fast, but if a simple tuner can make it more drivable, I would like info on them from people who have used them on their trucks.
Mine is mt as well and spinning that first gear is no better than my jk. It is a truck so i drive it like one. But it does suffer from lack of power at the wheels, although i think it is not because of the motor but due to too high transfer rate. I manage to stole trying to get out of mud when turning so watch out as in 4 x 4 you get rubbed on power 100%

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD

Sponsored

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is mt as well and spinning that first gear is no better than my jk. It is a truck so i drive it like one. But it does suffer from lack of power at the wheels, although i think it is not because of the motor but due to too high transfer rate. I manage to stole trying to get out of mud when turning so watch out as in 4 x 4 you get rubbed on power 100%

Ran into this too. Have to remind myself it drives different in 4wd. Last Jeep was a CJ5 with a 304 with some work and a 3spd so didn't have any issue switching from on road to off road. Just a learning curve with the JT

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Ran into this too. Have to remind myself it drives different in 4wd. Last Jeep was a CJ5 with a 304 with some work and a 3spd so didn't have any issue switching from on road to off road. Just a learning curve with the JT
I am not sure how to deal with this stalling out issue in 4x4. Will play with it coming spring on the beach, but it is annoying as hell. My JK with max tow did not do this, but when i tested a sport model it stalled out on parking lot with the wheel cut. If my suspicion is correct and it is due to the higher transfer rate then I totally do not understand why Jeep decided not to offer max tow in manual. I call BS on this one.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Back to regularly scheduled programming ...

this is partly a tuner question and partly a manual trans rating/review question
anyone out there do an engine swap or more tame chip/tuning, intake, exhaust to improve engine power with a manual trans and if so, how did the manual trans hold up? So far? Seems like chip, exhaust would give me around 20lb ft and 20 hp give or take and this would be well within the 6speed manual trans ratings and shouldn’t cause any issues. Thoughts? Anyone do this?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Posted this in a manual trans rating thread too. Any real world experience with adding engine power? Any negative/positive feedback on how the 6sp manual trans handled it?

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Seems like a dead thread but worth bringing back. Maybe I’m different, I could care less about adding more torque or horsepower, truck has enough. What i want is predictable throttle action. Thats all. I have an i-drive, I have it turned all the way down to E9 and thats the only way take offs have been smooth for me. The boosted settings all just turn into a jerky mess. I dont want instant wide open throttle, I want throttle plate movment thats close to pedal movement

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a dead thread but worth bringing back. Maybe I’m different, I could care less about adding more torque or horsepower, truck has enough. What i want is predictable throttle action. Thats all. I have an i-drive, I have it turned all the way down to E9 and thats the only way take offs have been smooth for me. The boosted settings all just turn into a jerky mess. I dont want instant wide open throttle, I want throttle plate movment thats close to pedal movement
I never ended up doing anything for a tuner. I went with a Borla exhaust (mostly to shift by sound) 5.13 gears and a Centerforce clutch. Throttle control still sucks but performance is better, even with a ton of extra weight and 37” tires.

coalcracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2007 2-door Wrangler X
The previous owner of my JT had a Pedal Commander. It wasn’t included in the sale but the only reason why I know is because the glove box had some stuff in it related to the Pedal Commander. Not sure how it worked or if the owner liked it, but I haven’t seen it mentioned on this thread yet.

The manual transmission is a bit … different … compared to my JK but I’m getting used to it. I don’t feel like throttle response is a problem. However I also had the JT regeared to 5.13 gears since I run 37s and it made a world of difference.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Just a warning on the I drive/ Ultimate 9. Mine died last week after about two years in. And it didn't die in a safe way. It caused the pedal to think it was floored all the way. I luckily was able to shift to neutral, pull to the side, and uninstall it.

Now I'm back to stock pedal response

kostik76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The problem is not throttle response, if you are not driving rubi you have crappy ratio which is good for when you are moving but not when you are starting to move. Best you can do for the jeep is regear down. There are some crazy options with supercharger, engine work or swap.. Short of that there is no way you are getting extra.

ReconGladiator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
I just bought a 2022 Mojave manual trans a couple of weeks ago with 12k miles on it and HATE it. I bought the manual thinking it would be a beast and it's an absolute DOG........ I was hoping to get some answers on here for a fix but it seems like everyone is stumped on why the manuals are such dogs. I agree with the previous statements on throttle response being NONE. I really wish I would have gone with the auto.........
Sponsored