Sponsored

Turbo advice- worth it?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
So I’m assuming I’ll be trading in my 2018 for a 2020 as soon as the sarge color comes out. I have had the 3.6 on the last three wranglers. I see now that the 2.0 will be a cheaper option than the 3.6 in the future. I’ve driven both, consider them about equal, but am curious how the Current owners are liking it. Have you had any issues related specifically to it? When I bout my current JL, the 2.0 was delayed because they caught fire randomly. So this is where my fear starts... thoughts?
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I love mine. I have been wheeling in 11,000 foot altitude slight turbo lag right off idle. On highway I passed an Audi A6 that was passing a truck up a hill at 9300 feet ( that felt amazing )

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
When I bout my current JL, the 2.0 was delayed because they caught fire randomly. So this is where my fear starts... thoughts?
The fires were related to the BSG system. The 2.0 w/ BSG is only available on Sahara staring 2020.

So just select any other trim level and your good.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I’m more than happy with my 2.0, it does all I ask of it, which is drive on highways!
My Mercedes is rarely driven these days, the Jeep is my go to car now.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

just note the 2020 turbo is loosing the e-torque assist on all models except the Sahara ( which it is an option for the e-torque if i remember correctly. please correct me if i am wrong. but if they do i would debate the turbo on the next jeep purchase

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I've had mine for 2 months now. I love everything about it except the exhaust note. I live at altitude so the 2.0 was faster than the 3.6 when I test drove them both. So far I am getting really good fuel econ, about 2-3 mpg better than the Tacoma V6 I had before this. I really like the torque around town, makes it enjoyable to drive. Took it off road already and it did great. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine for 2 months now. I love everything about it except the exhaust note. I live at altitude so the 2.0 was faster than the 3.6 when I test drove them both. So far I am getting really good fuel econ, about 2-3 mpg better than the Tacoma V6 I had before this. I really like the torque around town, makes it enjoyable to drive. Took it off road already and it did great. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
I agree 100%...I love everything about the 2.0 turbo except the sound of the damn thing. I came from a Grand Cherokee SRT 9 months ago and I still haven't gotten used to the sound of the buzzy 4-cylinder.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
The fires you mentioned were related to a heat shield issue that was quickly resolved. So far so good with my 2.0, it's got plenty of power and provides decent mileage. Granted no one buys a Wrangler to get good gas mileage, but it doesn't hurt. As others have said it does well both on and off-road, and really shines when driving in the mountains at altitude. I would not hesitate to get a 2.0T but have no idea how this engine will fare w/o the e-torque. I have no real feel for how much help that system actually provides.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I'll echo everyone's positive sentiments- I love mine, although the exhaust note is more tractor than cool Jeep. The turbo power is great here in high altitude-Denver, and when up wheeling in the mountains- many trails here over 13,000' msl. Sometimes initial throttle tip-in is a little laggy, but disabling that damn ESS "feature" helps with that.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The E-Torque , or lack thereof, is NOT a performance issue, it's A front mounted ESS starter, and generator for the 48v lithium ion battery . Check out the European 2.0T export models with "standard" ESS, no loss of HP or torque without the BSG...

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
So I’m assuming I’ll be trading in my 2018 for a 2020 as soon as the sarge color comes out. I have had the 3.6 on the last three wranglers. I see now that the 2.0 will be a cheaper option than the 3.6 in the future. I’ve driven both, consider them about equal, but am curious how the Current owners are liking it. Have you had any issues related specifically to it? When I bout my current JL, the 2.0 was delayed because they caught fire randomly. So this is where my fear starts... thoughts?
I bet the 2.0L turbo without BSG/E-torque will not feel near as fast out of the gait. Personally I would not order it until I could drive one.

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
I agree, it may not feel as quick. But, I love the turbo. It is faster (a few outlets deny this, but most testing confirms it). Better torque, and you get it earlier. Better MPG. Now..... etorque. So far, I love it. It helps make up for turbo shortcomings, the initial lag. Without it, drive both and see......it may make a difference. Won't reflect in total numbers, but peak hp/torque only tell part of a story not all

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I'd get one if it could come with manual, since I love how turbos make power with a few mods.

Still, go for it and tune it for me

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I have both, though the 3.6 is in a Durango. The 3.6 is much smoother, much quieter, much more refined feeling, and the engine I prefer when Im on a long road trip.
The 2.0 is more fun, period. I do prefer the low rpm power of the 2.0 over the 3.6.
I like both engines, they each have their use for me.
IMO its not about one being better than the other, its about which one is better for the way YOU plan to use it.
Sponsored