First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
I have the Gladiator Rubicon with the 8.4" UCONNECT system, I have it all enabled with Guardian. I can lock, unlock, start, cancel, horn and lights etc. all works fine.

When I try and update the location of the vehicle it is hit or miss on if it will even update even after just driving it.

Also the "INFO" button on the lower left is kind of useless, the information is very dated and not clear on when/how it is updated. If you pull down on the screen it indicates it is updating "vehicle data updating" but often the data is hours old, some tomes several days even when it has been driven. I would like to see lock status, window status, current fuel level, etc.

Are others seeing this with UCONNECT?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Gladiator Rubicon with the 8.4" UCONNECT system, I have it all enabled with Guardian. I can lock, unlock, start, cancel, horn and lights etc. all works fine.

When I try and update the location of the vehicle it is hit or miss on if it will even update even after just driving it.

Also the "INFO" button on the lower left is kind of useless, the information is very dated and not clear on when/how it is updated. If you pull down on the screen it indicates it is updating "vehicle data updating" but often the data is hours old, some tomes several days even when it has been driven. I would like to see lock status, window status, current fuel level, etc.

Yup - open the app on my phone and the data is days old. Fuel level is from 4 days ago before I drove it until almost empty, or else it's days old and I've filled it and it still shows only quarter tank. Location is almost always hours if not days old. Mileage is dozens of miles if not 100 or more off from actual. It starts and such (after a 30 second delay or so but that's ok) but the data is always old, even after I've driven it around for a couple of hours.

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
Yup - open the app on my phone and the data is days old. Fuel level is from 4 days ago before I drove it until almost empty, or else it's days old and I've filled it and it still shows only quarter tank. Location is almost always hours if not days old. Mileage is dozens of miles if not 100 or more off from actual. It starts and such (after a 30 second delay or so but that's ok) but the data is always old, even after I've driven it around for a couple of hours.
Thanks, pretty useless compared to my other vehicle experiences with these features.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

The system is not meant to provide real time data. The Uconnect system relies on the AT&T cellular network for communication. Data updates will vary depending on the cellular network in the area. AT&T has a strong network here, and my info display usually shows up to date information on the days I drive the truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We knew that - hashed in another thread, but when you drive the truck for 2 hours covering a lot of miles and include two large metro areas and college towns, you'd expect it to be better than 3 days or so out of touch. Pretty hard to see it as useful if it only updates twice a week at best.
Can't say there's no AT&T coverage around Des Moines or Ames - there's something else up as I'm not the only one seeing this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
Screenshot_20191231-165916_Uconnect.jpg
The system is not meant to provide real time data. The Uconnect system relies on the AT&T cellular network for communication. Data updates will vary depending on the cellular network in the area. AT&T has a strong network here, and my info display usually shows up to date information on the days I drive the truck.
I am in the bay area with excellent ATT service, I would be ok if it was not meant for "near" realtime update. Indicating it is updating and it doesn't is frustrating, they should not add status that are time specific, showing the milage, fuel supply, and air pressure of the wheels form 6+ hours ago and two + trips makes it useless.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We knew that - hashed in another thread, but when you drive the truck for 2 hours covering a lot of miles and include two large metro areas and college towns, you'd expect it to be better than 3 days or so out of touch. Pretty hard to see it as useful if it only updates twice a week at best.
Can't say there's no AT&T coverage around Des Moines or Ames - there's something else up as I'm not the only one seeing this.
There are some issues with the way it updates. I notice, when I check the info screen in the app, the information is frequently updated about three miles before I arrive at home.

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
There are some issues with the way it updates. I notice, when I check the info screen in the app, the information is frequently updated about three miles before I arrive at home.
Says its updating, it doesn't, even while sitting in the car with the car running and UCONNECT connected, send and go working. some times the location updates when requested, sometimes the send&go doesn't go through, I assume the same AT&T would be the basis for the 4G WiFi service, this experience would sell me on upgrading to that.

lO3EEqssAqrZhGWsG1cN63zzdkQabStfF8Bg8MceOhYkmwPkpc0aeOk36NPB7qHTgMn4mJ1xLCvb0hNSmvk=w441-h904-no.jpg

AT&T coverage map for my ZIP:

upload_2019-12-31_17-9-56.png

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is what mine is currently showing. It is accurate. I last drove it two days ago. My passed systems does only show 12, and it used to be 13. Last month it was showing a failure in the Air Bag system, but I never got any warning lights on the dash.

Screenshot_20191231-171700_Uconnect.jpg

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
Slightly more accurate than the monthly report.

Remote starting, locking and unlocking are nice, and need to be semi real time.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Slightly more accurate than the monthly report.

Remote starting, locking and unlocking are nice, and need to be semi real time.
For me, the remote functions usually take about a minute. I have had the remote start fail a couple times. There are occasional issues with the cellular network. The remote functions were not working on my Nissan Monday afternoon, but started again a couple hours later. It also relies on the AT&T network.

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
For me, the remote functions usually take about a minute. I have had the remote start fail a couple times. There are occasional issues with the cellular network. The remote functions were not working on my Nissan Monday afternoon, but started again a couple hours later. It also relies on the AT&T network.
Agreed, but if they are offering the same service level to AT&T mobile users, there would be massive revolt. The amount of data in these interactions is extremely small, I would argue lower than MMS, and retries should ensure proper operation. I have AT&T support on our current Audi SQ5 and it is flawless, as was my Audi A6 I traded in. My previous Lexus used Verizon I believe and was flawless as well.

OP
OP
Seansmd

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
I'm willing to bet this has less to do with the mobile network, and more to do with the provisioning and SW in the mobile back haul to the UCONNECT or Gaurdian services, not sure which is which in the Jeep offering and who manages it Jeep, SiriusXM, or Uconnect.

the other possibility is where the mobile antenna is located in these vehicles and if it is poorly designed, again I am in downtown San Jose CA one of their better data areas, where 4G phones get veyr consistent high speed up/down data transfers.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think that taking days to update has squat to do with the cell connectivity. If it did it would update every time I leave home and go to town. Can't tell me Des Moines has no AT&T service - if that was the case, they'd have no customers in Central Iowa.
I think it's not totally service related...

It would also be nice if the uconnect app worked on Android devices - and not JUST cell phones. It won't function on either of my tablets or my chromebook. It will function on BlueStacks on my laptop PC - interesting as heck! Not on an Android table but will on a PC with an emulator. LOL
Believe it or not, mine actually says updated 5 hours ago now! Wahoo! That's the best I've ever seen it - and 5 hours ago it was parked under my all-steel lean-to out back by the woods. (MY guess is that time is wrong - I bet it happened when I was in Runnells to pick up the pizza)
That's the best and most current I've seen it.
Vehicle health report is 22 days ago.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
What I wonder is how they expect people to want to pay for this service after a year. It is so bad in terms of updates and when I run the functions its takes way to long for them to process. My guess is this thing only checks in occasionally to keep from draining the battery in the car, but still doesn't seem too useful with all of the delays in sending commands and stale data in the app.
Sponsored