Sponsored

UConnect Bluetooth Audio Connection Issue

RyCo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Having an annoying Volume issue with my 20' JT Gladiator. Whenever I start the Truck to listen to bluetooth audio (Spotify, Audible, etc...) I have to hit "Media" then Bluetooth, then manually hit play on my phone for anything to be able to play the audio in the UConnect.

To make matters worse, once the car shuts off the Uconnect automatically switches back to the radio from Bluetooth, which means if I didn't turn the volume down, the radio BLASTS next time I start the truck... Anyone else have this issue, or a fix?
Sponsored

Last edited:

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I find the volume being different between the radio and my Spotify on my phone VERY annoying. I don't know why it's like that but it drives me crazy when I forget. I usually don't listen to my music via Bluetooth so I can't help there. I plug my charger into the media port and run Spotify and phone calls through that way.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Having an annoying issue with my 20' Gladiator. Whenever I start the Truck to listen to bluetooth audio (Spotify, Audible, etc...) I have to hit "Media" then Bluetooth, then manually hit play on my phone for anything to be able to play the audio in the UConnect.

To make matters worse, once the car shuts off the Uconnect automatically switches back to the radio from Bluetooth, which means if I didn't turn the volume down, the radio blasts next time I start the truck... Anyone else have this issue, or a fix?
You sort of touched one of my "gripes" on the uconnect audio system. Mute it, shut down, get out, next day, remote start, unlock, open door, music fires up blasting you until you mute again.
Then at random starts - you have it muted, you have other people getting in with you, you start it and suddenly the music kicks on - unmutes itself. Why do they think I want it unmuted each time it starts or I get in it? It's not just JT - my wife's GCs have done this for years, too. I get into her Grand Cherokee, start it and suddenly I have country music blowing my ears off. She had it muted - why in the heck does it self-start all the time?
Is there a HACK to shut off the sound so that when you mute it it STAYS muted?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You sort of touched one of my "gripes" on the uconnect audio system. Mute it, shut down, get out, next day, remote start, unlock, open door, music fires up blasting you until you mute again.
Then at random starts - you have it muted, you have other people getting in with you, you start it and suddenly the music kicks on - unmutes itself. Why do they think I want it unmuted each time it starts or I get in it? It's not just JT - my wife's GCs have done this for years, too. I get into her Grand Cherokee, start it and suddenly I have country music blowing my ears off. She had it muted - why in the heck does it self-start all the time?
Is there a HACK to shut off the sound so that when you mute it it STAYS muted?
Mute is a temporary feature, like ESS disable. It always return to default position at startup. If you want it silent at startup, you have to use the radio power button to turn it off.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Having an annoying Volume issue with my 20' JT Gladiator. Whenever I start the Truck to listen to bluetooth audio (Spotify, Audible, etc...) I have to hit "Media" then Bluetooth, then manually hit play on my phone for anything to be able to play the audio in the UConnect.

To make matters worse, once the car shuts off the Uconnect automatically switches back to the radio from Bluetooth, which means if I didn't turn the volume down, the radio BLASTS next time I start the truck... Anyone else have this issue, or a fix?
There currently is no fix. Uconnect tries to startup in the same condition as when it was shut down, but it has to be internal or wired sources for audio. External wireless sources (bluetooth) don't maintain connection through a power cycle, and USB audio does not consistently reconnect. Some of it is by design, some of it is poor programming.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mute is a temporary feature, like ESS disable. It always return to default position at startup. If you want it silent at startup, you have to use the radio power button to turn it off.
I understand that - but then you power off the whole screen - including the gauges with off-road pages, nav and other features you DO want on.
It's stupid to have to have the music come on when you want the other features.
Radio is radio - music and gauges should not be tied together.
Music and nav should not be tied together.
Music and any other app should not be tied together.
It's not just JT - all uconnect devices are and have been this way since day one.
Who decided that if you want NAV, you want music? IF you want your GAUGES, you want music? If you want ANY uconnect feature, you want music? Isn't that a bit silly?
Seriously - Chevy gives me full gauges in the cluster, but Jeep says if you want gauges, you must have music, and on a tow vehicle of all things.
Even my son, a professional web and software developer for Gannet, says uconnect reminds him of something from a decade ago, still behind in appearance and functionality. Funny thing - he said that several years ago when he first saw it in one of my wife's GCs - and since they they have not changed appearance or functionality! LOL. He said its so "Duke Nukem".

OP
OP

RyCo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Wanted to update everyone, this is still a frustrating issue but I've found a partial work around to at least get the music to not blast after starting the truck.

If you press and hold "Media" for 2 seconds on the display, it will allow you to drag/ reorder the apps on the UConnect. If you drag media to be the first App on the bottom, it seems to designate this as the primary audio source. When the truck starts up the radio will not just start blasting if you had been streaming from your phone previously.

It does not make the situation better for restarting/ syncing audio on your phone the next time you get in, but at least won't blast your eardrums out of your head.

Xxtavixx

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Wanted to update everyone, this is still a frustrating issue but I've found a partial work around to at least get the music to not blast after starting the truck.

If you press and hold "Media" for 2 seconds on the display, it will allow you to drag/ reorder the apps on the UConnect. If you drag media to be the first App on the bottom, it seems to designate this as the primary audio source. When the truck starts up the radio will not just start blasting if you had been streaming from your phone previously.

It does not make the situation better for restarting/ syncing audio on your phone the next time you get in, but at least won't blast your eardrums out of your head.
Thanks for this - I've had my JT a few days now and this was the most annoying thing. This partially fixed it. It seems to sometimes still go to the radio.

If anyone has found a way to make it default to bluetooth, please share!
Sponsored