First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Having a hard time thinking it's a coincidence.

DEAD dead battery, as in two different jumptstart battery boxes couldn't get it to crank. Full electrics and diagnostics freakout, windshield wipers etc.

The Group 94 Napa AGM I put in last year could have carried it through Friday (in my paranoid scenario) and it croaked last night, due to whatever gunk is leftover from that OTA upgrade.

I'm especially ticked I hurried up replacing the pony battery as soon as it went bad again, so the cascade effect wouldn't kill my new big battery. A year ago today, I replaced the pony battery weeks after it started acting up, and that subsequently lead to the main battery swap in early October. Having swapped the pony again at the end of January, RIGHT when it started acting up, I struggle to think the better-than-OEM main battery got smoked.

It feels like a firmware problem, but danged if I can find anything to do about it except "reboot again".

I'm trickle charging with an AGM aware unit, but this is extremely bad timing. My wife is now giving me the nervous side eye about our Mojave Road trip next week, QUITE understandably! I am so eager to go back again I'm considering buying a spare battery to lug in the trailer. I'd prefer not to have to sooth my wife's concerns, though.

Anyone else see this kind of thing?
Sponsored

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I went through 2 sets of oem batteries (warranty) once about 3 months after I bought it, the second about 4 months after that.

It was then fine until a month or so ago and it was dead just about every morning.. I got so annoyed I put in the Genesis system and it was still happening...

In my case I ended up tracking the issue down to my aftermarket head unit (the first 2 warranty replacements were crap batteries combined with very little driving)..
Now that I replaced it I don't have any issues anymore.

Not exactly apples to apples with your situation, but I think it's probably very likely your radio just didn't go to sleep properly after the update.

I would fully charge it and if it still dies then it's likely you'd need to have the dealer check it out. I doubt you killed the main battery.

OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Main battery is good, cut the pony battery out of the picture and pulled F42. No follow up issues except the nagging about the ASS being in failure mode. Made it across the Mojave no problem.

I went through 2 sets of oem batteries (warranty) once about 3 months after I bought it, the second about 4 months after that.

It was then fine until a month or so ago and it was dead just about every morning.. I got so annoyed I put in the Genesis system and it was still happening...

In my case I ended up tracking the issue down to my aftermarket head unit (the first 2 warranty replacements were crap batteries combined with very little driving)..
Now that I replaced it I don't have any issues anymore.

Not exactly apples to apples with your situation, but I think it's probably very likely your radio just didn't go to sleep properly after the update.

I would fully charge it and if it still dies then it's likely you'd need to have the dealer check it out. I doubt you killed the main battery.

Richgoat

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
Funny, i too received the update on Thursday and my battery is draining fast and will need replacement. Not a coincidence!

Literally same as you, update received Thursday around 6pm.

Following couple days my start stop stopped working with the charging battery message.

I have a tazer, so i thought maybe the new uconnect update and tazer don't play nice. Updated tazer to latest firmware (from January), and now the tazer doesn't save any settings.

Emailed zauto about it, maybe it's incompatible now? All i know is I'll need a new battery, hopefully tazer will work again before my trip this coming weekend.

Richgoat

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
I've also been having the same issue on our 2019 Pacifica for the past month. Batteries draining. I put in new batteries and auto start stop light never went away. Just checked and brand new batteries are also not holding a full charge.

Can't be a coincidence!
Sponsored