Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2006 TJ Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
spend money I dont have on my jeep
That is very similar to what I built for my first attempt at feasibility of the concept. The only thing that I did different from you is the size of the wire run from the battery and the Anderson plugs. I only used 6AWG and 60 amp fuses. My BCDC is the 40 amp model and at full power it only draws 50 amps. I also put fans and vents in my box to keep it cool. When I was in FL it was sitting in full sun all day and inside the box was about 9 degrees above ambient.
My new system has all of that except the DC-DC charger is only 30amps and my pure sine wave inverter is a full 2000w. All that AND it is in less than 1/4 the footprint of my first attempt. The two system sizes will be 120ah and 240ah. Still waiting on the final pricing and how soon I can get my prototypes for testing. But it will be a better system at a far better price point than Goal Zero is producing. I’m also working on a solar blanket panel for charging so I can package and offer a plug and play system.

I think i went with the 25 amp dcdc charger. That pure sine inveter must be sweet. I added a 1000w mod wave to mine. Pure sine is in the future..but ya know $$$.

I also added a bypass so I could pull from vehicle mounted battery if needed.
Sponsored

GladiatoRic

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wired 3 20 Watt panels in parallel with quick disconnects to a solar regulator connected to some large charging clips. The though bring you can move the panels around to keep them in direct sunlight. Good for trail and trailer camping camping, storing anything with a battery, but also if the power goes out. Im no doomsday’r but I think everyone should have a little back up power system.
Jeep Gladiator Ultimate Overlanding and Camping Power Source 62DDA1D9-33C8-4966-9B30-AB058DE4577A
Jeep Gladiator Ultimate Overlanding and Camping Power Source BEE9BB3F-A937-4525-B9B6-0B109994C9D7

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Backup power is an excellent idea for everyone! I have batteries and generators all around my house.

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
OK I am moving forward with the power supply thing but costs have started getting the best of me. I have created a gofundme page with one caveat. Anyone who donates will get double their donation back as a discount on a future product purchase up to $1,000. If anyone is interested you can read about me and the power supply I am developing here.

https://www.gofundme.com/new-eco-business-startup

Last edited:

Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
OK I am moving forward with the power supply thing but costs have started getting the best of me. I have created a gofundme page with one caveat. Anyone who donates will get double their donation back as a discount on a future product purchase up to $1,000. If anyone is interested you can read about me and the power supply I am developing here.

https://www.gofundme.com/new-eco-business-startup
You might want to consider a Kickstarter instead. If you can show a good prototype idea, you'll get some good backers.

May be a better place.

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
You might want to consider a Kickstarter instead. If you can show a good prototype idea, you'll get some good backers.

May be a better place.
Thanks for the tip!
I don't anything about any of that stuff so I just went with the one I had heard of before. To be honest I am getting enough interest in the system that I will probably just invest my own money that I have set aside and just grow as slowly as I need to to maintain my debt free lifestyle. If the product turns out to be as good as the idea then it will be self sustaining very quickly.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks for the tip!
I don't anything about any of that stuff so I just went with the one I had heard of before. To be honest I am getting enough interest in the system that I will probably just invest my own money that I have set aside and just grow as slowly as I need to to maintain my debt free lifestyle. If the product turns out to be as good as the idea then it will be self sustaining very quickly.
There is also Indigogo

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Well I have an update that I can offer on the power supply. I am currently working on a modular unit where a customer can choose to either just purchase a battery or a battery and all of the accessories. The battery will be a much slimmer and taller design rather than the standard battery dimensions. The accessory container will be the same dimensions as the battery and attach to the side of the battery enclosure. If you already own a battery all you would have to do is attach the cables to the battery lugs and plug in the anderson plugs and run the wires to the starting battery and install the fuse and plug it up to the power input. The accessory module will be very lightweight compared to the battery module so it will just strap to the battery module and the battery will be bolted down.

It will have all of the same features as what I am already talking about except it will be in a much more space saving and modular package. Each of the two modules will be about 18.5 inches long x 5 inches wide x 11.25 inches tall. So the full assembly will only be 18.5x10x11.25. The accessory module will have a removable lid so that the internal parts can be serviced and will be all weather rated so it can sit in the back of your truck during bad weather. I will go to my grave arguing that an "outdoor power supply" than cannot get wet is an indoor power supply that you can use under certain conditions outside.

bshillam

First Name
Bryrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.portlandres.com
Vehicle(s)
Over 60 prior. Current 2001 Isuzu Trooper, 2016 BMW 4 series convertible, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow Stingray
Occupation
Real Estate Broker and Yacht Broker, 503-781-9967
Following, like some out of box thinking!

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to this journey and where it leads you (to the market with a great product hopefully)!

CCCVagabond

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JTR
Well I have an update that I can offer on the power supply. I am currently working on a modular unit where a customer can choose to either just purchase a battery or a battery and all of the accessories.
It looks like from the rest of your comment that you will also be offering just the accessory module? I really like the modular approach. I have been waffling back and forth between all-in-one vs part-by-part for upgrades and fixability.

The modular approach hits both worlds... as I am not convinced the lithium battery approach can handle the abuse my jeep will give it. The marine hybrid battery approach is still something I am considering (i.e. yellow-top optima)

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Mark-

i applaud your jump into e business.
I am interested and wondering if you could offer a unit without the sine inverter and 110 volt plugs?

I don’t have more need than what the Jeep already offers and it should offer a lower price point.

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I’m not exactly sure what all I will offer yet. I honestly think you don’t need the inverter then you’ll be pretty well served with just a couple normal batteries, a dcdc charger and some marine grade 12V plugs. The main reason for the inverter is so that you can run your 110V stuff while the Jeep isn’t running.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
I’m not exactly sure what all I will offer yet. I honestly think you don’t need the inverter then you’ll be pretty well served with just a couple normal batteries, a dcdc charger and some marine grade 12V plugs. The main reason for the inverter is so that you can run your 110V stuff while the Jeep isn’t running.
Look forward to seeing your results...looks like the type of system I will need for extended overlanding...maybe arctic type conditions...Lithium.
Sponsored