Sponsored

Undecided new buyer... Is this a good deal?

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet Silver Gladiator Rubicon
I wanted a white or red... I have never been off-road (ride dirt bikes though)...

Found a 21 Silver Bullet Rubicon that I could get for $55k OTD price (taxes and all).
It's got silver flares and hard top, led, 8.4 screen, hard trifold cover, advanced safety pack, cold weather, tow, satin grille and hood and side decals (not sure about those), smoker pack, i dont smoke aux switches, auto transmission 3.6l.
MSRP with delivery is just under 60k according to the window sticker.

Missing are leather and spray on bed liner.

Now,
I don't need it... really just want if :(
I don't even drive to work these days though this could change.
I may need to tow (wife wants to get a small trailer camper, hopefully under 6000lb)
I have other cars and an old ram 1500 with a hemi.
I will want different wheels and tires l, just don't like the stock one. Thinking of a set of 35 with primm wheels, just not sure if lift would look better. 37 would be cool but I read mileage will take a bit and gearing may need to be changed.
I live in pa so I can't go overboard with tires sticking out.
Can I wait for a better deal... I'm sure.
Can I afford another car payment... I hate loans and stress associated with it but it should be manageable.
I'm not huge on the 3.6, wish this thing had a hemi. Acceleration was a bit underwhelming during my test drive but maybe that'll keep me under trouble.

Bottom line is that I can't make up my mind so tried to figure if this is a good deal or I should wait it out for a few months.
Sponsored

TARE4813

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20JTR
Occupation
Retired Shrink
Currently both new and used cars are in short supply primarily because of the ''chip'' shortage. So their prices are on the high side. They say the shortage should be under control by the end of 2022 yet some experts say it will take until 2025. If it takes that long many New & Used vehicle buyers will be paying ''top dollar'' for a long time.

I cannot tell from your post what sort of discount from MSRP you are receiving because I do not know the tax rates in PA. Nor do I know the total of the various fees you are being charged such as a DOC Fee, Tire fee and what tax/tags are running you.

From what I have read on this forum a discount of close to 10% below the dealer's invoice price is a good deal. I think that would equate to about a 15% discount from the MSRP. But that sort of discount takes into account the rebate offered on a Gladiator. Don't know about right now yet typically there are not any rebates on the Rubicon model just the others such as the Overland. However you may be able to get a ''discounted'' interest rate from Chrysler Capital on any Galdiator including the Rubicon.

I bought my Rubicon at ~ 10% discount from MSRP. Not a great deal nor a horrible one. I think I could have done a little better say 12-13% off of MSRP but live and learn. But I also got 48 month financing at 1.9% via Chrysler Capital-a pretty good rate. And this was back in February before the shortage of many new vehicles had taken hold.

I have not read specifically that the ''chip'' shortage has resulted in a short supply of the Gladiators so far. Yet even if that is not the case a shortage of other competitive mid-sized trucks will impact the pricing of all mid-sized trucks. At least in time it will.

So in my opinion if you are getting a decent discount from the MSRP and you really like the truck go buy it. Both the lack of leather and a bed liner can be addressed down the road in the future using the after-market.

As for the lack of power. There are all sorts of things one can do or have done which will improve the output in HP and Torque. That you can read about on this forum. Or it is reasonable to expect that some day in the future Stellantis will drop the HEMI V8 into the Gladiator as they did with the Wrangler. But expect it to be pricey; maybe close to $80,000 for a HEMI V8 Gladiator Rubicon.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
If you want one, that is what it is. You said you can wait. The one you found isn't exactly what you want.

You said you're in PA, so Gupton is likely your closest 8% below invoice dealer (assuming you're willing to travel a bit). Give them a call, do all the things, order exactly what you want, wait a month or two, then you'll get about the best deal going on exactly what you want. There's a thread in this sub-forum that's nothing but people doing this. I've read hints at people getting as low as 10% below invoice, but I'm not 100% sure how real or feasible that's likely to be generally. 8% below invoice seems to be the reliable low. 1% of that is Tread Lightly, and 1% is dealer finance. If you want to pay cash or use some other financing, take the deal, then pay it off or refinance after the dust settles.

OP
OP
samw5

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is price below invoice including taxes and fees or that's just the discount before all the fees?
From what I see the invoice price is usually a few Gs under MSRP so 8% under that with all included could be quite a bit more.

cooperjet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave 06 Mini Cooper S
Is price below invoice including taxes and fees or that's just the discount before all the fees?
From what I see the invoice price is usually a few Gs under MSRP so 8% under that with all included could be quite a bit more.
That’s before the fees

Sponsored

OP
OP
samw5

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so assuming an MSRP or closed to $60k, 7% sales tax for pa which is roughly $3500 on a $54k selling price, a d roughly $1000 of doc/tag fees.
Deducted from a $55k OTD price this would bring is to around $50500?

Is that math right?
OTD-tax-fees=what the vehicle was sold to me for and should be compared to invoice.

Would invoice price show on any of the final docs?

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
samw5

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MSRP$58,880.00
Invoice$55,408.00
So this is just about what is listed ...
Actually sticker MSRP is $59090 including destination.

Now according to the table if I use the drop down I get 9% below invoice at $50421...

$50421 + 3,529.47 (7%tax) = 53,950.47

OTD is $54924 so $973 in fees maybe?

Does that sound like correct math?
If so I suppose I am getting a pretty descent deal (vehicle being delivered as well from 4.5h away).

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I’d get the color I wanted if I were spending ~ 60000.00. You have other cars so you are able to wait. I’d order exactly what I wanted if I couldn’t find at least the right color on the lot

GCoop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave ( ̶O̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶)
Seems like you are closing in on your figures. If you calculated your invoice price correctly (which seems reasonable) and your OTD price is really the OTD price (i.e no dealer shenanigans) I'd say that is a pretty good deal in this market.

Sponsored

OP
OP
samw5

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I did verbally agree and submitted the credit info.. hopefully things on paper will look the same.

And if so I'm getting a 21 Silver Bullet rubi with satin black grill (silver flares and roof).

Now the real shopping begins... Gotta figure out what lift and wheels to get.

Jeepnut21161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0l diesel
Occupation
Sales Manager
Just bought a rubi with the 3.0 Friday, live just across the border from PA, very familiar with your zip code, I’m just south of you in MD. Which dealer you buying from?

OP
OP
samw5

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing local would bring me anything close... I ended up finding it down in VA near Norfolk...
What dealer did you get yours at? I work down in Timonium so might see it one of these days in 83... If we ever get back to the office ;)

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Well I did verbally agree and submitted the credit info.. hopefully things on paper will look the same.

And if so I'm getting a 21 Silver Bullet rubi with satin black grill (silver flares and roof).

Now the real shopping begins... Gotta figure out what lift and wheels to get.
if you really want leather, go with katzkin. Around here you can get it installed for $1400, which is kinda a no brainer on a 60k vehicle.

OP
OP
samw5

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually not really hot on leather honestly... It's definitely easier to keep clean but I can see my butt/back roaster without the top off on a hot summer day. Cloth might not hold up as well but probably won't hurt as much ;)
Sponsored