Sponsored

underbody protection suggestions

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
looking to see what is out there for underbody protection.....is there anything that is one piece that does a decent job at protecting the underbody/ vital components of the JT, or would I be searching for each bolt on piece to protect my purchase from rocks and such?
Sponsored

OP
OP
booneja

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Invictus Off Road

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.invictusoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JT, CJ, XJ
Occupation
Entrepreneur
OP
OP
booneja

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, only grip is you have to have it powder coated or painted. Other than that its the one I am going with.

Dave
lots of $$$$, but I guess you are paying for the gauge of steel

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
don't forget the Motobilt diff covers!

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I have the motobilt skid's... No regrets at all. Yes you have to paint or powdercoat them, but given that its on the underside your doing it for corrosion resistance & looks dont really matter. Rattle can would look as good as powdercoating as long as you keep the shiny side of the jeep pointed up.

I did powdercoat mine, but I got a very good deal on it. Called around & found a local place that did it for 200 bucks. I had to wait until they were running something else of the same color so I didnt pay any setup fee's or anything extra. First run out I tore up a bunch of the powdercoating, but again... its on the bottom & if your getting your moneys worth out of the skids thats going to happen.

@booneja you may wanna look at the Asfir plates.. they are coming from isreal if I remember right & getting shipped to the US at good prices so I cant imagine they would get you for too much more or less on the shipping. That or the Rubicon Express since they are available at some of the big retailers where you can avoid a border markup.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Jesus... 240 lbs? That's adding like 160lbs extra weight on the truck. Probably makes sense if you wheel super hard but I can't help but feel that if I wanted to do that, I'd be in a JL instead.

Metalcloak looks like my front runner right now at about 160lbs or maybe Artec aluminum if I can get myself to drop $2k. If you want to wheel hard and drop the truck on the pan then Motobilt or Rock hard are probably the better choice but I'm not about to give up 10% or more of my payload when I can get away with much less. I'm just not beating on the truck that hard.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Jesus... 240 lbs? That's adding like 160lbs extra weight on the truck. Probably makes sense if you wheel super hard but I can't help but feel that if I wanted to do that, I'd be in a JL instead.

Metalcloak looks like my front runner right now at about 160lbs or maybe Artec aluminum if I can get myself to drop $2k. If you want to wheel hard and drop the truck on the pan then Motobilt or Rock hard are probably the better choice but I'm not about to give up 10% or more of my payload when I can get away with much less. I'm just not beating on the truck that hard.
I went through that same dilemma. The extra weight is definitly a big factor, but its also as low as possible & spread out everywhere so its not like adding another passenger where the weight is high & on one side.

There is another brand to look at. Azinof or something like that. They are israeli if I remember right. The look good, and the cost is very good. I wanna say it would of been like 1200 for the aluminum.

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
looking to see what is out there for underbody protection.....is there anything that is one piece that does a decent job at protecting the underbody/ vital components of the JT, or would I be searching for each bolt on piece to protect my purchase from rocks and such?
I went with rock hard off-road. I have bought other products from them for my LJ. They make good product. Family owned. I always stop by their booth at off-road shows. Always remembers me. Good people. They not only make the full skid plate for my Gladiator, also for the lower control arms and lower shock mounts

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
There was a thread where a guy compared having both motobilt and Metalcloak skids, and he bent the motobilt oil cover and messed up his exhaust pipe. No issues with Metalcloak ones.
I would look at MC or rock hard.

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I went with rock hard off-road. I have bought other products from them for my LJ. They make good product. Family owned. I always stop by their booth at off-road shows. Always remembers me. Good people. They not only make the full skid plate for my Gladiator, also for the lower control arms and lower shock mounts

Have you installed them yet? Their bracket for the resonator skid doesn't work with the JT, waiting for them to figure out a new mounting solution for it.
Sponsored