Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Manual
Occupation
A&P
Hey guys

Recently picked up a JT and had some questions regarding undercoating. I am looking to get some kind of paint on the bottom of the tub and frame rails for long term protection (I live in a sandy and salty area). I've already got a couple scrapes down to the metal on the portion of the frame rail right behind the cab (not sure how this happened as I haven't done any serious wheeling yet) and want to get a secondary coating on there to cover those areas and reinforce the rest. I was looking for more of an actual "paint" solution rather than just an oil based spray on undercoating. I was considering picking up some spray on bedliner and masking off components and going at it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
If you use an actual enamel and not a "rubber undercoat" than you can later use Fluid Film in the future. Rustoleum Rust Reformer is pretty solid primer then a topcoat of regular enamel is a good option.......Problem with undercoat is once rust is under it, the cancer will spread an you will not know until the entire sheet of rubber comes off.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I see months of harsh salt abuse almost daily. My last truck did two winters and every spring it looked like new. I swear by Fluid Film! Yes you need to reapply every fall but it seriously takes 30 mins tops with maybe 3 cans. Its worth it.

Reactions: Mac

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys

Recently picked up a JT and had some questions regarding undercoating. I am looking to get some kind of paint on the bottom of the tub and frame rails for long term protection (I live in a sandy and salty area). I've already got a couple scrapes down to the metal on the portion of the frame rail right behind the cab (not sure how this happened as I haven't done any serious wheeling yet) and want to get a secondary coating on there to cover those areas and reinforce the rest. I was looking for more of an actual "paint" solution rather than just an oil based spray on undercoating. I was considering picking up some spray on bedliner and masking off components and going at it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

If salt and sand is a thing, I think you may want to consider those oil based treatments. Salt and water will eventually get under and through the paint undercoat, as the sand will sandblast the coating. Then you get corrosion happening behind the rubberized paint. It "looks" good, but it can be nefarious.
The oils while need to be recoated, will ensure greater protection. And I won't lie, you can be kind of messy with the fluid film application as its essentially clear so you wont have to paint and mask everything. It all gets covered and protected. Dirt sticks to it, but ultimately its fine as it just means the oil is sill there and its protected.

It took like an hour to do and 6 cans or so. But a 12 pack is like $100 and so got enough for next year and touching up. Its not as horrible to do as you would think.

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Here in VT there's salt on the roads 4-6 months of the year, with wet salt slush spraying everywhere during much of that, and the unpaved back roads have calcium chloride dust control in the summer - very hostile corrosion environment. I have tried a variety of things on various vehicles, Fluid Film stands above them all, by a very long measure, in how well it goes on, stays on, and protects. It's also pretty benign stuff - main ingredient is lanolin, a main ingredient in a lot of lip balm, skin care, etc. There's another similar product called "woolwax" https://www.woolwaxusa.com/

OP
OP
guitarshredder7

guitarshredder7

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Manual
Occupation
A&P
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Definitely gave me some good insight. Food for the brain :)

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
In Canada. Third vehicle using Fluid Film. Once spring rolls around and i get a good power wash in, the frame and axles look near new. The spots you miss can be obvious. Highly recommend.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I had my truck sprayed with fluid film right after I picked it up last year. And it was Re-applied this year.

I also live on the seashore—everything around me rusts like crazy. The local gas company has to replace my meter more frequently—technicians comment that after 5 years, my meter looks like it’s 25+ years old.

So far, FluidFilm has done the trick—undercarriage looks great (I mean no rust, even though it does look like someone rolled a stick of butter through an ash tray, but whatever).

OP
OP
guitarshredder7

guitarshredder7

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Manual
Occupation
A&P
Hey guys. Thanks for all the input. Decided to go with LineX’s offering here in Daytona as they’ve already done my truck bed. It’s a “bedliner” type material but not as aggressive and designed as an undercoating. Applied by the good guys there at LineX. They have a little chat with you before you get it done about what you want and don’t want painted. Will post pictures when I get it done!

Sponsored

Speedy_12139

First Name
Kenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500, 2011 BMW 335i, (Potental) '21 Rubicon
Occupation
Construction & Renovations
Hey guys. Thanks for all the input. Decided to go with LineX’s offering here in Daytona as they’ve already done my truck bed. It’s a “bedliner” type material but not as aggressive and designed as an undercoating. Applied by the good guys there at LineX. They have a little chat with you before you get it done about what you want and don’t want painted. Will post pictures when I get it done!
Honestly, I would very much personally steer clear of hard coatings like that... As they offer zero level of breath ability.

Same goes for those rubberized undercoatings, sure they look pretty, but I've always told people, the second it's sprayed, you've sealed the fate of your vehicle, and it WILL rust, from the inside out. You just wont get to watch it happen, till it's too late.

I've seen it on countless vehicles, and i pity those who were unknowing, prior to application.

Stick with a lanolin based undercoating product.

I HIGHLY recommend, Fluid Film. And considering they offer a new version in black, you honestly cant go wrong.

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Fluid Film ALL the way!
With my other vehicles I have done it all - I tried every single product you can think of.
All others failed.
If you live where they salt the streets in the winter and you want to keep your truck as free of corrosion as possible you have 2 choices:
1 - Keep your truck in a dry garage , preferably heated. Never drive it all winter.
2 - Use Fluid Film.
Yes it does get greasy and filthy. But SO worth it! It just wipes off if you have to work on something, then reapply after.
Your first treatment will be the largest. Every fall touch up as needed, especially in high wash areas / wheel wells.
Buy the full kit on Amazon. And also get spray cans as you want to spray inside your doors and tailgate drain holes to coat the inside.
Works great as a lubricant, awesome on cables too.
* don't forget to apply a film of it on all your door, hood and tailgate seams - Just keep it off your door gaskets as they can swell up.

dreston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Fluid Film is a good choice. Cheap yet effective.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
I know you want paint... The option of Fluid Film or NHOil is MY way to go.
We use both products at work in the NHDOT, they both proved over time to be the real thing. Actually self heals scrapes. GHOul actually kills the oxidation process.
Sponsored