Sponsored

Unpopular Opinion? Aluminum/Metal Inner Fenders -> Stupid?

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Curious what everyone's thoughts are on aftermarket aluminum inner fenders. Seems like 90% of aftermarket inner fender options are some sort of metal. This blows my mind as I would assume the noise this creates is highly annoying off road (or on-road) when rolling over any type of gravel, loose stone, etc that would kick up. Not to mention, some don't come painted which IMO looks unfinished.

What am I missing? How do the pros out weigh the cons?

Why aren't there more plastic/composite/kydex? type options out there?

I have been holding off on fender mods for this reason because I can't find an inner fender that's basically like the stock ones just for super high clearance of an aftermarket fender flare.
Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Curious what everyone's thoughts are on aftermarket aluminum inner fenders. Seems like 90% of aftermarket inner fender options are some sort of metal. This blows my mind as I would assume the noise this creates is highly annoying off road (or on-road) when rolling over any type of gravel, loose stone, etc that would kick up. Not to mention, some don't come painted which IMO looks unfinished.

What am I missing? How do the pros out weigh the cons?

Why aren't there more plastic/composite/kydex? type options out there?

I have been holding off on fender mods for this reason because I can't find an inner fender that's basically like the stock ones just for super high clearance of an aftermarket fender flare.
I personally don’t understand it myself. Unless you just have money burning a hole in your pocket.

I guess if you’re gonna pull your fenders apart for more clearance I see the reasoning but I’m not going to do it just to do it and I’m not at the point where I have to do it.

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
I could see a use for the diesels, as the ones I have seen are vented and would let more air into the engine compartment, which would greatly help overheating issues while towing.

OP
OP
Gladiator_92

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
I could see a use for the diesels, as the ones I have seen are vented and would let more air into the engine compartment, which would greatly help overheating issues while towing.
Good point, and I have a diesel so I can relate. BUT you could still have ventilation without making the inner fender out of metal. I imagine the noise from debris constantly hitting them is highly annoying.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
It might help a little.. I don’t know about a lot.

Sponsored

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
I bet a coat of bed coating would make a lot of difference, and make it look better too.

81Mojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2010 JKU
Occupation
Transportation
Normally, inner fenders were made of metal to accommodate a different shape than plastic would giving a little more tire room or to support different fenders.
well on the JKs anyway

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
If you aren't gutting the fenders I don't really get why you'd put them in. I only installed mine because of that, and even then I spent over a week painting it because the raw aluminum loom just wasn't for me.

PXL_20220724_225707557.jpg

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
Two days ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you. Then this happened just yesterday with only 3600 miles. Happened driving 75 mph into strong headwinds over a mountain pass. The fender liners are so thin it’s about as thick as a milk jug plastic. And not secured enough. The wind pushed the plastic into the tire.
In two weeks I’ll see what the dealer will say. I will push it’s a design flaw and an easy fix would be one more plastic Christmas tree

But as an alternative, now I’m looking a no none sense fender liner. I still subscribe to the if it’s not broke don’t fix it club. Now it’s broke

A1B50319-CBE2-4F09-A767-BE47BD8FB87A.jpeg

B9EDEF4D-F76C-4F4D-9C01-948DA50E28A3.jpeg

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Not a fan of metal liners because of the unnecessary cost, weight gain, and they tend to rattle. Also I'm paranoid that if they rattled loose at speed you now have a giant metal shard that will go straight through any tire.

At any rate, I had to switch from the OEM liners to something aftermarket as I swapped to the Max Terrain flares from Rugged Ridge. Right now I have a mix of the rear liners that came with my new fenders, and Paramount front liners. Just my personal preference. Polyurethane and ABS respectively. But they are a bit expensive for what they are.

Jeep Gladiator Unpopular Opinion? Aluminum/Metal Inner Fenders -> Stupid? IMG_5106.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Unpopular Opinion? Aluminum/Metal Inner Fenders -> Stupid? IMG_5097.JPG

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Fellow Jeeper at work has Al wheel well liners on his JKUR and I'll look tomorrow if he put them on his JTOD, I figured it was so he could have the cut-outs with slogans on them (not my cup of tea). If shredded liners happened to me I would be seriously pissed! We went through an >80 MPH windstorm on the way to Zion back in April, no ill effects suffered, but now I'll be looking for an issue.

Sorry you have to deal with that, good luck with the "stealer".

Two days ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you. Then this happened just yesterday with only 3600 miles. Happened driving 75 mph into strong headwinds over a mountain pass. The fender liners are so thin it’s about as thick as a milk jug plastic. And not secured enough. The wind pushed the plastic into the tire.
In two weeks I’ll see what the dealer will say. I will push it’s a design flaw and an easy fix would be one more plastic Christmas tree

But as an alternative, now I’m looking a no none sense fender liner. I still subscribe to the if it’s not broke don’t fix it club. Now it’s bro

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Wow, great data, thank you! I've put them on my Amazon to buy list.

Not a fan of the metal liners because of the unnecessary cost, weight gain, and they tend to rattle. Also I'm paranoid that if they rattled loose at speed you now have a giant metal shard that will go straight through any tire.

At any rate, I had to switch from my OEM liners to something aftermarket as I switched to the Max Terrain flares from Rugged Ridge. Right now I have a mix of the rear liners that came with my new fenders, and Paramount front liners. Just my personal preference. Polyurethane and ABS

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Wow, great data, thank you! I've put them on my Amazon to buy list.
No problem, a word of advice though, I would stay away from Paramount's REAR plastic liners, I had bought a matching set before to pair them with the Max Terrain flares, only to find out that the molding for the rear fenders actually rubbed WORSE than the OEM ones they replaced!

They did an excellent job on the front liners, then completely phoned in the matching rear set. The molding for the fuel filler neck does not follow the the same path as the OEM, it just drops straight down, right into the tire, it would rub on a speed bump, never mind mild articulation on any trail, plus the issues with the bottom of the liner hitting the rear brake lines, chewing them up.

I got really lucky(?) that I missed part that my new fenders came with polyurethane rear liners, and that I only needed* front ones. Just asked for a refund on the rears and that was sorted out. You can buy the RR plastic rear liners, looks like a matching front set are not available.

(*the RR flares tell you to trim the OEM front liners, but it looks cheap and unfinished.)

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
When my jeep was mostly stockish
 I too had the issue of the inner fender liners coming apart on the highway due to high winds (thank you Wyoming) and poor design. I knew I was going to be using the falcon 3.3 shocks and you have to cut a hole into the liner to make them fit

so I went ahead and got the jcr inner fenders made For falcon shocks, and my lift.

that said
 I didn’t want to go aluminum on the rear
. Due to way too high cost and picked up the rugged ridge rear plastic liners. Theyhave been trouble free and are awesome to allow me to cut them Up to allow my anitrock swaybar.
Honestly I have no trouble from my front aluminum liners, no noises when off road or on my very prominent gravel driving I do

now metal fenders!!! They do sing like a mother in the gravel! Oh my.

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Im seeing more people use their OEM liners, just cut and bolted in other places than the original spot. I did the AAL high fender brackets and lights but kept as much of the inner fender as possible. I don't get as much clearance as I would taking it completely out but Im not a fan of metal inner liners and until I come up with a better plan this will do. It also kept a bit of the rigidity it brought to the fender...
Sponsored