TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
Tacomas don't have that , 4runner and Tundras I think are the only ones
The Grand Wagoneer used to have it for Jeep. But I also like the little mini vent windows that poked outwards in the front. My old Cherokee had them and they were great.
Sponsored

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
Toyota pickups since inception are best with 4 cylinders, 5 speeds, and 4wd.
Well, best in regards tot he USA at least. A lot of people would argue the true best Toyota pickup would be an LC79 variant. The current ones with the V8 turbo diesel are beasts. f/r lockers, disc brakes, incredible payloads, factory lockers, solid front axles. Sure they aren't as nice on the interior as a gladiator ands they are leaf sprung int he back... but they are so solid, true work vehicles.

Or if you want something that you literally cannot kill... get an older one with a 1HZ.

Still, forbidden (or old and difficult to source) fruit for us in the USA.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Stopped by a Toyota dealer today to take a look at RAV4's for the missus. Finally found a knowledgable enthusiast salesman... so if we buy one, it is from him. He knew his stuff and understood the business side better than any i've come across. Definitely a rarity. Anyway...

Dealers are still "market adjusting" cars and trucks with few exceptions, custom orders don't exist, allocations are tight, and if you want a hybrid from this one on any model it is an automatic $5K markup over MSRP. From what I see that's tracking with other dealer markups.

They cannot keep the current Tacomas, Tundras, and 4Runners on the lot ( if they get any that aren't pre-sold), and customers are willing to wait months if not nearly a year for the colors/option packages available per factory allocation, and even that isn't guaranteed. Can you imagine waiting 6-8 months for a specific color just to find out the options you wanted weren't equipped because... reasons? He said flat out it happens and in most cases the buyer just sucks it up. Henry Ford would be proud- that's out of the you can have any color so long as it is black playbook.

I mentioned that their lot seemed full, he said the majority of inventory was received in the past week and sold, awaiting PDI and pickup. For some unknown reason they had more than a few gas Highlanders and those weren't selling. He said if I was interested that's the only thing they'd do a deal on.

RAV4's are in such demand that the half dozen+ hybrids on the lot were sold on average a month before they were slated to be built, and most of the gassers were sold too. The only available RAV4 was a Prime PHEV that was ordered and cancelled. He expected once it got released into inventory it wouldn't hang around long either. I could have taken it home today for... $48K :CWL:

From what I have read, the just-in-time manufacturing model has not caught back up post-lockdowns and Toyota is also directing suppliers to cut back on production to match up with the assembly line capacity. I read recently that several Japanese factories were shuttered for consecutive days to get production lined up better with available parts.

It will be very interesting to see what happens when this new Tacoma is available for orders.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
The 2.7 is a bulletproof engine that has few issues and lasts forever. Toyota pickups since inception are best with 4 cylinders, 5 speeds, and 4wd. I always heard guys tales of woe and regret when buying the 3.5. I had a guy at a gas station in late 2015 (both with our newly ordered/received 2016s) ask me what mileage I got, I told him 24mpg and he said he got about half what he was supposed to get with the V6. They might be down on power but I never had an issue with it. Loved that truck.
Ya my 2009 reg cab was a 2.7 manual, it got to a point where it needed a few grand in repairs and i dumped it. Gutless and terrible mpg with a load, but good engine. Sadly I had transmission, clutch, driveshaft and rear third member issues, all warranty work but it was a mess. That thing always had the driveline vibes no matter what was replaced. One of the TSB's was to add sound deadening materials inside the cab to absorb the vibration and drone it caused. The service dept was conditioned to ask very specific leading questions to avoid working on it, bastards!

Even after all that shit, if I ever found a special old mans barn find nearly new 2014 reg cab auto I'd pick it up and make it mine for a long time!

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Ya my 2009 reg cab was a 2.7 manual, it got to a point where it needed a few grand in repairs and i dumped it. Gutless and terrible mpg with a load, but good engine. Sadly I had transmission, clutch, driveshaft and rear third member issues, all warranty work but it was a mess. That thing always had the driveline vibes no matter what was replaced. One of the TSB's was to add sound deadening materials inside the cab to absorb the vibration and drone it caused. The service dept was conditioned to ask very specific leading questions to avoid working on it, bastards!

Even after all that shit, if I ever found a special old mans barn find nearly new 2014 reg cab auto I'd pick it up and make it mine for a long time!
They had that frame recall right around then too IIRC. I remember going in for an oil change and they had a pile of frames being tossed from that recall. Crazy stuff putting a new frame on 10+ year old trucks. Those owners got a ton of free work and parts. I loved my Tacomas. But once they dropped the 5 speed from the 2.7 I went Jeep and haven't looked back.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
I asked this on another page with no response. When will jeep show off the 2024 Gladiator? Soon? Just wondering if there will be changes this year
I heard Stellantis was adding a shade of grey....

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Totally trolling, guys....seriously. 🤣

I just like bustin' Stellantis balls now and then over what they could do to make the Gladiator easily/absolutely/clearly the best in class (for example, an INCREASE in tq and hp, fix cooling issues, debug all the electronics, laser focus on quality, etc)....but instead they do things like come out with a new shade of grey or a different trim/graphics package. Same stuff, different year.

Don't get me wrong: I like toyota, but I'm a Jeep guy all day long, warts and all.

Sponsored

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
Totally trolling, guys....seriously. 🤣

I just like bustin' Stellantis balls now and then over what they could do to make the Gladiator easily/absolutely/clearly the best in class (for example, an INCREASE in tq and hp, fix cooling issues, debug all the electronics, laser focus on quality, etc)....but instead they do things like come out with a new shade of grey or a different trim/graphics package. Same stuff, different year.

Don't get me wrong: I like toyota, but I'm a Jeep guy all day long, warts and all.
I own a Tacoma but looking at going Gladiator. That's why I'm asking when we find out about the upcoming Yeats lol.
Not offended, got called a Troll on Tacoma world for asking a question

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
I don't really like. Seems like they are going the way of all the other trucks with making it wider, larger front end. I really dislike almost all of the new trucks because of them be artificially big and bloated.
I do like that the EV looks like the gas truck and not something totally different.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Still looks squatty to me, after test driving this generation of the Tacoma, there's a lot that needed improvement. Just don't think of this as being competition for the Gladiator.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
nothing to see here, move on...
Sponsored