First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I’m not sure what to think here…? One part of me thinks “cool, brand new engine” other part is like “wait this has 4,500 miles on it, whats next!?”
We had that happen with a Ford Escape back in 2001: about 2 weeks after we bought it the engine started sounding like a loose valve or something. Took it back to the dealer and FoMoCo said to just yank that engine out, fluids and all, and a new engine would be overnighted for replacement. The old engine was shipped back to FoMoCo for autopsy - we never heard what the issue was, but we kept that car for 18 years and it ran great.
Sponsored

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Count your blessings... On this forum some folks spend months on a roof leak or pushing a year on the clutch without a fix. The fact they will swap a whole engine is great so quickly is great. That is not a cheap decision on their part.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you're right. try to stay positive...at least it happened while it was in warranty could be worse.
Yeah feel lucky. At 52,000 miles the transmission crapped out on my 2010 JKU and when original sold it had a lifetime powertrain warranty. Unfortunately I bought it used with 22,000 miles on it and the lifetime powertrain isn't transferable to the the second owner. I ended up having a Jasper rebuilt transmission installed that came with a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty. That ended costing me $2700 to have done. Thank God I got the warranty with it because about a year later the torque converter went out on it and I thought it was the transmission again. Jasper was awesome and decided they didn't want to risk it if the transmission got damaged and agreed to just have another transmission put in and reset the warranty period. I had no issues after that but it sucked having to dish out $2700 on a vehicle with 52,000 miles on it. Be glad your getting a new one and I would ask about s warranty reset, maybe @JeepCares can help you with that.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I think I would have more of an issue if they tried to repair with parts and swapping pieces.. Motor swap is best.. Luck of the draw. They could throw parts at it and keep it for a few weeks off and on or even months.. Be happy they took the best route for everyone.

Ive seen parts tossed at a problem and then it never gets fixed.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I wouldnt sweat it. It isnt even confirmed the motor NEEDED to be replaced; they just deemed it was more efficient and cost effective to replace it them spending the hours to disassemble and diagnose. Setting up the clean room and getting someone who’s certified to do motor disassembly is expensive from a FCA pov. They can just DX the motor with another one of the dozens/hundreds in inventory more quickly for you and cheaper for them.

That’s actually the best solution for you. Id be more worried about having a motor that was disassembled and reassembled by a guy who doesnt do it often than i would be a factory fresh from the engine team.

Dont go looking for things to worry about 👌

$.02

Sponsored

Chilli

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLADIATOR RUBICON
Occupation
RETIRED
Did you delete the mud puddle video ?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
If the dealership said you could drive it back in, I'd drive it back in.
I would, however, call in tomorrow and double check that they do indeed want you to drive it in.
Have them send that to you in a text.
What's the worst that could happen? You end up with another new motor?

Kevin

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Do not drive it without coolant in it. If you don't have it towed in and don't have coolant to use put in straight water. Your in San Diego and no chance of the water freezing over.

I'm in Northern California and only ran Redline water wetter with water in my race bikes. Never had an issue with freezing over.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Just call roadside assistance and they'll tow it in at no charge to you or the dealership. The service manager is a moron for not suggesting this.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
That was my thought, I sent an email to JeepCares to document that I was advised to do that, hopefully I get a response tomorrow.
Sorry for my delay here, calipoontappa. Did you email our team or send a private message? I don't see a private message so if you'd like to work with us through this forum, please send us a PM!

Kate
Jeep Cares

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Truck has a crack in one of the coolant junctions and a leak in the exhaust manifold…parts to come in on Tuesday…30day mark is coming up. If it’s not right after this repair I’m going to look into Lemon Law…anyone one know if there is anything different that needs to be done since it was purchased out of state?
The rules vary by state, and you may have extra steps to follow since you bought in a different state than where you are living and having the repairs done. If you are seriously considering the lemon law route, you should contact an attorney that handles lemon law cases, preferably one that is licensed in both states.
Sponsored