First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach-1, 2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Sales, and generally being awesone
Ok, just had my Nitto Trail Grappler 35x11.5x17's put on with no lift. Love the way they look.... but not so pleased with the loss of power.
They are roughly 9lbs over my stock tires, but make a considerable difference in acceleration. It also seems that the transmission is working a bit more.... as to be expected.

I am hoping to add something down the road that wont affect my warranty like a pedal commander or re-gear. I don't need more hp or tq… just something to get me off the line without the turbo lag.

But for overall ride quality, I am very pleased with the noise and hardly any wandering. MPG.s have also taken a bit of a hit... currently a mile or 2 difference for sure.
Jeep Gladiator (updated) First impressions of 35's on my Eco Diesel jeep 5
Jeep Gladiator (updated) First impressions of 35's on my Eco Diesel jeep 2
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I noticed the same with my gas JT, it is interesting that many on here claim no difference gas or diesel when going to larger tires. surprised it is that noticeable on the diesel I would think the low end torque would really help.

OP
OP
Daniel Snider

Daniel Snider

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I noticed the same with my gas JT, it is interesting that many on here claim no difference gas or diesel when going to larger tires. surprised it is that noticeable on the diesel I would think the low end torque would really help.
Yea, I think I am just being a little pickey. I just want the instant go like my 2013 gasser rubicon with 410's and 34" tires.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
I noticed it at first also but after a little time, the new performance becomes normal. I don't even think about it anymore. Give it some time and see how it goes!

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
I appreciate the honest reviews of going up to 35s.

Sponsored

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Yup - same here as the OP. Some sluggishness when I went Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/18s on the OEM Overland wheel, and some hunting between 7th and 8th gears. Have since calibrated with my Tazer Mini (took a few tries to find the right tire-to-speed ratio/size) and the MPG and shifting is doing better. Nonetheless, a hit to the MPG (1-2 MPG on local streets) indeed, and definitely less 'take-off' from standstills. All that being said (written?) - still happy with the choice in terms of looks, performance, and no humming on streets.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
OP, did you or the dealer calibrate for 35’s? Or did you just slap them on and go?

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Thanks for the write up Daniel, when my Sport S ecoDiesel arrives (hopefully mid-January 2021) this is going to be my first upgrade. However I will be coming from from 31.5" stock tires vs 33" on the Rubicon.

I'm still torn between 35's and 37's but I keep coming back to 35's as I will be towing a camper all summer and worried about the potential for premature wear of the drivetrain running 37's.

I should say I'm a bit shocked that you could actually notice a difference if the new tires are only 9 lbs heavier (x5 = 45lb total??). Perhaps with a wider tire there is a bit more contact with the road that could have an impact. But with all the torque of the ED I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

As for MPG, I also think it's important to know whether the computer was re-calibrated for 35's as JCHGlad and Moe_Fugga asked about. Otherwise your speedo will be off which will impact the calculated MPG, the only other way to know would be GPS mileage with actual fuel consumption.

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
So, my first impressions of driving my eco with 37's are wonderful. I didn't notice any lack of performance or bad driving characteristics. I have not calibrated for the larger tires yet either. I have 37 12.5 17 bfg ko2 (69-71lbs) and motegi mr149 (25lbs) wheels.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Daniel Snider

Daniel Snider

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the write up Daniel, when my Sport S ecoDiesel arrives (hopefully mid-January 2021) this is going to be my first upgrade. However I will be coming from from 31.5" stock tires vs 33" on the Rubicon.

I'm still torn between 35's and 37's but I keep coming back to 35's as I will be towing a camper all summer and worried about the potential for premature wear of the drivetrain running 37's.

I should say I'm a bit shocked that you could actually notice a difference if the new tires are only 9 lbs heavier (x5 = 45lb total??). Perhaps with a wider tire there is a bit more contact with the road that could have an impact. But with all the torque of the ED I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

As for MPG, I also think it's important to know whether the computer was re-calibrated for 35's as JCHGlad and Moe_Fugga asked about. Otherwise your speedo will be off which will impact the calculated MPG, the only other way to know would be GPS mileage with actual fuel consumption.

I have not re-calibrated, but do intend to do so soon... I have the AEV 2" with prosnap device to correct the tire size waiting to be installed.

I should say that the initial off the line pause and less umph is my biggest concern.... maybe the pedal commander will take care of that. I do not thing I will be re-gearing as the overall power is still good.

I will also re check with the actuall mpg's once I have recalibrated.

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
I've been running 35s on my EcoDiesel since I picked it up on Oct. 23 (BFG KO2s, 35x12.5x17). Did about 800 miles that way, then added the 2" Mopar lift last week (and got the recalibration for tire size). Added another 500 miles since then.

Definitely better since the recalibration. I managed almost 24 mpg on a 400 mile highway trip. Seems to do worse on MPG over 60, and hits a sweet spot from 40-55 where I was topping out over 24. overall milage is around 22, about inline with everyone else 2 mpg drop. There was a little off-line hesitation at first, but I've either gotten used to it or the recalibration worked that out a bit. Much less noticeable now. I didn't see any top-gear hunting on the highway, and a good part of the trip was crossing some East Coast mountains, so elevations shifts of up to 1000 feet or so. Seemed to hold 8th pretty well.

Overall ride, even with the lift, is excellent. Surprisingly smooth. Very happy with the look and feel.

Jeep Gladiator (updated) First impressions of 35's on my Eco Diesel IMG_3399

Last edited:

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have not re-calibrated, but do intend to do so soon... I have the AEV 2" with prosnap device to correct the tire size waiting to be installed.

I should say that the initial off the line pause and less umph is my biggest concern.... maybe the pedal commander will take care of that. I do not thing I will be re-gearing as the overall power is still good.

I will also re check with the actuall mpg's once I have recalibrated.
I have not heard of the "prosnap device", but regardless of what you use, I would recommend you invest a bit of time to learn how to do these things yourself. As I wrote earlier in this thread, I read up (on several websites) and watched a multitude of videos before ordering, and then making several changes, with the Tazer Mini. I've read too many posts from fellow Jeep owners regarding the adjustments not being correct, and/or having to pay for each system adjustment done by a third-party.

OP
OP
Daniel Snider

Daniel Snider

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have not heard of the "prosnap device", but regardless of what you use, I would recommend you invest a bit of time to learn how to do these things yourself. As I wrote earlier in this thread, I read up (on several websites) and watched a multitude of videos before ordering, and then making several changes, with the Tazer Mini. I've read too many posts from fellow Jeep owners regarding the adjustments not being correct, and/or having to pay for each system adjustment done by a third-party.
Absolutley agree with you... it is actually called the AEV Pro Cal Snap (comes with the Aev 2" spacer lift).... and I am doing the lift and Procal myself.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Ok, just had my Nitto Trail Grappler 35x11.5x17's put on with no lift. Love the way they look.... but not so pleased with the loss of power.
They are roughly 9lbs over my stock tires, but make a considerable difference in acceleration. It also seems that the transmission is working a bit more.... as to be expected.

I am hoping to add something down the road that wont affect my warranty like a pedal commander or re-gear. I don't need more hp or tq… just something to get me off the line without the turbo lag.

But for overall ride quality, I am very pleased with the noise and hardly any wandering. MPG.s have also taken a bit of a hit... currently a mile or 2 difference for sure.
Hey OP - what makes you think that re-gearing your truck will not affect your warranty? I asked my local dealer (I'm also in Colorado), and he checked with the warranty department; he told me that re-gearing voids the entire power-train warranty. Toyota has the same policy, and I believe it is pretty standard in the auto industry. I'd get it in writing if this is what you were told, and you are planning on re-gearing under the assumption that you will still have the factory power-train warranty.

On a different topic - I notice that people who go to larger tires and say they don't notice much difference in power tend to live at sea level. For example, earlier in this thread one person who went to 37s and said it felt okay lives in Louisiana. Driving between 5,000 and 10,000 feet and constantly going up / down mountain passes puts a very different set of demands on an engine and transmission. Forced induction helps with elevation a lot, but where we live is still not comparable to sea level and mostly flat driving. Just a reminder that we all live in different places, have different conditions, and we also have different expectations of our vehicles (what feels like decent power to one person might feel under-powered to another).

Hope everyone had a great holiday!
Sponsored