Sponsored

Upgrade drivetrain or suspension first?

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much what the topic says, if I were planning on upgrading from the stock axles and driveshafts, and also planned on aftermarket suspension, but had to do said upgrades in stages, what should be done first? In my own head I have arguments for either, and I'm not sure which is more valid.

On the one hand, the main thing the stock suspension would need to help hold up if the drivetrain was redone first would be the new driveshafts, with the axles ultimately holding up the vehicle. On the other hand, upgrading the suspension first, which would include a lift, might yield greater performance differences early on, assuming the stock axles can handle the extended travel range without issue.
Sponsored

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Depends on your end usage: more daily driver or hardcore off-roader and also tire size. The factory axles are pretty stout..

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
The first question you need to answer is why are you upgrading your drivetrain?

Personally, I would start with suspension, wheels and tires. Drive it and then decide what drivetrain upgrades, if any, are required. The drivetrain is pretty tough and unless you are going for an extreme lift or big power upgrades it should be fine.

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
The first question you need to answer is why are you upgrading your drivetrain?

Personally, I would start with suspension, wheels and tires. Drive it and then decide what drivetrain upgrades, if any, are required. The drivetrain is pretty tough and unless you are going for an extreme lift or big power upgrades it should be fine.
Agree with this 100%. If you're thinking about upgrading your driveshaft, the company may want measurements taken, as was the case for me. For those to be as accurate as possible, I'd suggest wheels/tires and suspension first, get that set, then make your measurements for the driveshaft.

Depending on what wheels/tires and lift you'll be running, you might find some issues with the stock driveshaft pretty quickly, BTW.

I highly recommend finding a photo of the cross-section of the stock driveshaft, and comparing that with an Adams Driveshaft (as an example). Huge difference. I'm not affiliated with Adams in any way, but I am having their front and rear driveshafts put on as I type this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Elanachan

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with this 100%. If you're thinking about upgrading your driveshaft, the company may want measurements taken, as was the case for me. For those to be as accurate as possible, I'd suggest wheels/tires and suspension first, get that set, then make your measurements for the driveshaft.

Depending on what wheels/tires and lift you'll be running, you might find some issues with the stock driveshaft pretty quickly, BTW.

I highly recommend finding a photo of the cross-section of the stock driveshaft, and comparing that with an Adams Driveshaft (as an example). Huge difference. I'm not affiliated with Adams in any way, but I am having their front and rear driveshafts put on as I type this.
I've been made aware of a type of adjustable, telescopic driveshaft that is meant to freely extend and retract as the axles move up and down with the suspension. I'm not sure what the quality of these are though.

Edit: here's a portion of such a driveshaft.
products-WEBSITE_005__45686.1449766310.1280.1280.jpg

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
I've been made aware of a type of adjustable, telescopic driveshaft that is meant to freely extend and retract as the axles move up and down with the suspension. I'm not sure what the quality of these are though.

Edit: here's a portion of such a driveshaft.
products-WEBSITE_005__45686.1449766310.1280.1280.jpg
Pretty common. It is called a slip yoke.
Sponsored