Upgraded 7” radio to 8.4” and have a couple issues

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Ford Bronco, Gladiator soon!
I got a 8.4“ uconnect pulled from a 2021 gladiator. I installed it in my 2020 and was plug and play. One isssue is my backup camera works when selected, but doesn’t come on when I put it in Reverse. The other issue is my speakers are really loud on the lowest possible volume setting… can’t figure it out. The dash and sound bar have aftermarket speakers, but no amp or anything else that should be interfering. Any ideas?
Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
How many sleep cycles so far? I think mine took 2-3 for everything to work properly.

OP
OP

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many sleep cycles so far? I think mine took 2-3 for everything to work properly.
I’ll have to read up on what a sleep cycle is. I just installed it and noticed those things.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What is part number of the radio that was sent to you and verified by you visually as received? JT radios have specific part numbers to them.

8.4 radios from Wrangler JL's have a know incompatibility of the backup camera not working when installed in JT's. Some salvage pick suppliers will advertised them incorrectly of JL radios being compatible with JT's.

OP
OP

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is part number of the radio that was sent to you and verified by you visually as received? JT radios have specific part numbers to them.

8.4 radios from Wrangler JL's have a know incompatibility of the backup camera not working when installed in JT's. Some salvage pick suppliers will advertised them incorrectly of JL radios being compatible with JT's.
It was the JT version. And it looked like the sleep cycle thing worked. This afternoon, everything is working as it should. The only weird thing is the off-road pages went away. They were there when I first was messing with it, but overnight it must have updated and deleted them.

Sponsored

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
It was the JT version. And it looked like the sleep cycle thing worked. This afternoon, everything is working as it should. The only weird thing is the off-road pages went away. They were there when I first was messing with it, but overnight it must have updated and deleted them.
I’ll bet the off road pages aren’t supported by all JT models.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I’ll bet the off road pages aren’t supported by all JT models.
In theory, only the base Sport did not come with an option for 8.4 or even 7.0 radio. Sport S and up models come with a 8.4 as an option and tied to that option is the Off Road Pages.

I do not think it is tied to the particular model that a 8.4 radio will or will not display the Off Road Pages. If one was to Google "Off Road Pages Disappear", seems to be a somewhat common problem with different solutions.

Not saying it is the problem in the OP's case but it is important that when installing a 8.4 radio as a mod to one that did not come with it, there is a need to make sure a valid GPS signal is being picked up by the radio for it to display the proper LAT/LONG and that may mean installing a GPS antenna to it.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong, but from all the threads I have read, I think the Off-Road Pages is tied to the VIN number. The 8.4 Uconnect appears to call home to confirm you're allowed to run it before it shows up as an option. I have it on the lower right, and had it disappear one day when AT&T was having issues, but it came back later and I was able to put it back there for quick access. AT&T has good coverage here, and I generally don't have any problems with remote starts or updates to the phone app. I know one poster, who has reported it disappearing multiple times, lives in an area where cellular coverage is poor where he parks. Just a theory, but upgrading from 7.0 to 8.4 may require the dealer working with Jeep to get the Off-Road Pages authorized and working.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I could be wrong, but from all the threads I have read, I think the Off-Road Pages is tied to the VIN number. The 8.4 Uconnect appears to call home to confirm you're allowed to run it before it shows up as an option. I have it on the lower right, and had it disappear one day when AT&T was having issues, but it came back later and I was able to put it back there for quick access. AT&T has good coverage here, and I generally don't have any problems with remote starts or updates to the phone app. I know one poster, who has reported it disappearing multiple times, lives in an area where cellular coverage is poor where he parks. Just a theory, but upgrading from 7.0 to 8.4 may require the dealer working with Jeep to get the Off-Road Pages authorized and working.
It is confusing to me what is exactly required to make the Off Road pages work?

Seems counter productive that an active cell signal is needed for the Off Road pages to work when many off road places you would use it may have spotty to no cell service.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It is confusing to me what is exactly required to make the Off Road pages work?

Seems counter productive that an active cell signal is needed for the Off Road pages to work when many off road places you would use it may have spotty to no cell service.
I'm guessing, based on what I've read. It would be cheaper to have the same software load on each head unit, with a VIN check to enable certain programs only available on higher trims. Maybe the call home to enable is only done periodically (weekly, monthly, after a reboot). It could also be a buried option that needs a programming tool (AlfaOBD?) to enable.
Sponsored