First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2018 Ram 2500
Occupation
retired
I have a 2020 Sport and after going two 10-12 hour trips I realize that I miss having a high speed multi-media system. My Ram had CarPlay, apps, and my guidance mapping was shown on the screen. I like the way my Jeep is set up and I don't want to trade vehicles.
I did a search on this site and did not find the info I am wanting.
One compatible system I found did not support the back up camera. Has anybody replaced their base system and kept the other features of the system intact?
Sponsored

chithead

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I'm waiting for release of the iDatalink Maestro WJL1 - looks like it has the necessary adapters for an aftermarket head unit, along with the dash trim. Backup camera will still require an additional adapter though... and it has to be a shallow mount double din radio. I just installed a Kenwood DMX706S in our 98 Mustang. It works flawless, Carplay is just as quick and seamless as the UConnect 8.4 was in our 19 Ram.

Jeep Gladiator Upgrading the 5" base radio system 224860395_4108929042530697_2457400035870729982_n

I used the iDatalink Maestro RR in our 16 JK with a Kenwood head unit and that has been almost perfect for 5 years now. Only issue was an easy fix, factory USB connections weren't working - just pushed reset on the Maestro and voila, problem solved.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
You should be able to find 7" and maybe 8.4" systems that other folks are upgrading that should be fairly plug-and-play if they come with the unlock code (which isn't hard to get).

The only thing to note, is if you go with a stock upgrade, you will obviously lose the volume and tuner knobs (unless you get the HVAC panel too) but the steering wheel controls will still work. I upgraded my mother's 5" in her JL to a 7" without an issue.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
I have a 2020 Sport and after going two 10-12 hour trips I realize that I miss having a high speed multi-media system. My Ram had CarPlay, apps, and my guidance mapping was shown on the screen. I like the way my Jeep is set up and I don't want to trade vehicles.
I did a search on this site and did not find the info I am wanting.
One compatible system I found did not support the back up camera. Has anybody replaced their base system and kept the other features of the system intact?
Why not just upgrade the 5" to the 8.4"? Could even use the 7" to save money.

I did the same in mine, swapped in the 8.4" to replace the factory 5". Super simple, takes about 10 minutes to do. Awesome head unit with Carplay etc, works great.

Search my posts, I have lots of pics and info, but here's one of my Sport with a 8.4" swap.... all the wires are the same, everything just works, super easy, and my favorite mod by far because I enjoy it every time I drive.

I then did upgrade the AC control panel too ($150 used), so will post that pic too. Great easy solution to your problem.

20210516_171639000_iOS (2).jpg

20210605_172447855_iOS (2).jpg

ABDD44D8-5B73-4D5F-8E0E-6E23A9E40D3F.jpeg

chithead

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
That's worth it right there just to have the larger backup camera screen ^^^

OP
OP

Sanganois

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2018 Ram 2500
Occupation
retired
Thank y'all for the information. I ordered from Nismopar and the unit is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I ordered the 7", I found that I was using CarPlay navigation more often than the Ram navigation in my other truck and I did not see any reason to pay for the 8.4" with navigation and 1.4'" increase in screen size is not a big deal to me.
I also ordered a Decked storage system yesterday. The Ram cargo boxes spoiled me for the ease of hauling things and keeping them out of sight. A big bonus during hunting season or range days.
Sponsored