Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I have been thinking of upgrading the power inverter from the 400W to lets say a 2,000W inverter. Would there be any issue in doing this like the wiring in not big enough or anything that I am missing?

Does anyone know where the inverter is located? I have yet to look for it.

I would like to be able to run my Porter Cable 6 Gal air compressor and other larger tools from the truck.
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I was watching a quadratec install video of the new alpine 9” radio... in the video they had to take out the inverter and rework the area for the brains of the new head unit.

the inverter is under the drivers dash on a bracket under the steering column.
I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I was watching a quadratec install video of the new alpine 9” radio... in the video they had to take out the inverter and rework the area for the brains of the new head unit.

the inverter is under the drivers dash on a bracket under the steering column.
I hope this helps.
So nice and easy to get to :crying::LOL:

Is there a reset button anywhere if you where to overload it?

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
Looking at the install video, you only need to remove the kick panel under the steering colum and about 6 bolts and you should be able to get the inverter out. That being said I would question whether the wiring would be able to handle the draw from a 2k inverter.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Looking at the install video, you only need to remove the kick panel under the steering colum and about 6 bolts and you should be able to get the inverter out. That being said I would question whether the wiring would be able to handle the draw from a 2k inverter.
I asked a dumb question before looking into it at all:(. It didn't take me long to figure out that my plan was a dumb one. I'll grab another :beer: and try again:CWL:

Looks like the reset is automatic in the inverter. There is no reset button to push. Once you unplug the device it should rest itself according to the manual.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Watts is amps times volts. So you can figure both ends. Not allowing for heat loss, etc. - assume watts out has to equal watts in.
So some math will tell you about wiring - and yeah, you will need to upgrade some wiring unless the stock wiring was greatly over-sized!
And no one ever does that at the costs of copper these days.
So a 400 watt inverter on 12 volts would be 33 amps draw. (actually a system at rest would be 12.6 volts, running closer to 14 volts. I do automotive electric restoration and upgrades in my shop)
You need to figure the wire size based on the number of feet long of the wire, the volts and the amps draw.
A 2,000 watt inverter at 12 volts could draw 165 amps - that's some heavy wire you'd need! You would need a very hefty breaker to handle it and some big wires - braided wiring to handle the flex and vibration.
I'd have to do some real math to get closer but I'm not so sure you'd want to go that big.
You would need to upgrade the output wiring to the outlet. You are looking at 3 amps up to about 15 amps with the bigger inverter.

All of the above very rough numbers - I could calculate the wire sizes needed if you REALLY wanted to do such a thing......... but 15 amps is the capacity of a typical home outlet.........

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely going to need bigger wiring for a bigger inverter. However I think you could easily wire the new inverter to the existing outlet locations...and at least it would appear factory. Could probably also use the factory inverter button to control the new one too. Plus gain that space back under the dash where the existing one is.... OR just run a whole new inverter and leave the stock system alone....lots of options.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Definitely going to need bigger wiring for a bigger inverter. However I think you could easily wire the new inverter to the existing outlet locations...and at least it would appear factory. Could probably also use the factory inverter button to control the new one too. Plus gain that space back under the dash where the existing one is.... OR just run a whole new inverter and leave the stock system alone....lots of options.
After looking into it a bit I would definitely just add another inverter as a stand alone unit leaving the factory one alone. I did not get the inverter in the bed package so I would simply use that knockout provided in the bed.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
After looking into it a bit I would definitely just add another inverter as a stand alone unit leaving the factory one alone. I did not get the inverter in the bed package so I would simply use that knockout provided in the bed.
Agreed. Given the need for heavier duty wiring you may as well install a new inverter with new wiring and put it in the best location

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
HEY! i'm looking at all this too. Definately need some big wire for 1500-2000 watts. Also need to consider if the alternator can handle all that draw
let me know what you learn.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
HEY! i'm looking at all this too. Definately need some big wire for 1500-2000 watts. Also need to consider if the alternator can handle all that draw
let me know what you learn.
I learned that I cant afford it right now so Im done looking into it for a bit.

I did see that you want to keep your inverter as close to the battery source as you can. A fella on the youtube has a very good video full of info. He is running a key cutting operation out of his van. Ill post it up if I can find it again.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I learned that I cant afford it right now so Im done looking into it for a bit.

I did see that you want to keep your inverter as close to the battery source as you can. A fella on the youtube has a very good video full of info. He is running a key cutting operation out of his van. Ill post it up if I can find it again.
thanks, that would be helpful!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did see that you want to keep your inverter as close to the battery source as you can.
If its just for the inverter, then i would agree, but i also want to be able to run DC stuff, so i'm thinking of thick gauge wire with battery isolator to the bed with 2nd battery/fridge/12V lights/ect all mounted somewhere back there, also with the inverter.....

It looks very expensive, so its on hold for me too, but I like to dream.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)