Sponsored

Upper Decker (Ace Engineering) Mods and Discussion

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
Hey! Thought I'd make a dedicated thread for those of us who have an Ace Engineering Upper Decker, for people to post questions and pictures of their set-up.

I installed my Upper Decker a few weeks ago, and am looking at next steps.

Currently, I'm waiting for a Yakima OUtpost HD (https://www.yakima.com/outpost-hd) to arrive in the mail, so my custom car shop neighbor can look at it and see if there is a way to fabricate a bracket to mate it to the Upper Decker. If I can't, the Outpost is returnable (sale at Home Depot).

However, I had another thought, too, for anyone who may have this system. Was wondering if any (Yakima, Thule, Rhino, Front Runner) rails would be able to be mounted on top of the Upper Decker Rooftop Mounts (https://aceengineeringandfab.com/co...ducts/ace-jt-upper-decker-rooftop-tent-mounts). That way, I would put whatever I wanted on that (maybe an awning, cargo basket (unlikely), other stuff).

What do people think? There are holes in the Rooftop Tent Mount - perhaps find a bracket that goes around the rail and can be [very] securely tightened.

Thanks for the input - looking forward to getting this configured the way I want.

Cheers!
Sponsored

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I was really excited to get my UD...but I am on week 12 of waiting for it to ship. I understand that the pandemic has been a factor. But I have been told 2-3 weeks for the last 2 months. At this point I would love to get my money back and cancel my order outright, but who knows...maybe when it get's here it might be worth the wait.

OP
OP
LTCSlacker

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
I was really excited to get my UD...but I am on week 12 of waiting for it to ship. I understand that the pandemic has been a factor. But I have been told 2-3 weeks for the last 2 months. At this point I would love to get my money back and cancel my order outright, but who knows...maybe when it get's here it might be worth the wait.
I understand - I ordered it the week after I got my jeep, and was told it would be 3 weeks (and then 5). Took about 9 weeks to get it.

I think it's worth it - I believe there are many things that can be done with it, once people start experimenting.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I understand - I ordered it the week after I got my jeep, and was told it would be 3 weeks (and then 5). Took about 9 weeks to get it.

I think it's worth it - I believe there are many things that can be done with it, once people start experimenting.
I was told they have very long delivery times but this has been crazy. Especially when I was told 2 weeks ago that it would ship in 7-10 days and still nothing.

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Finally installing my brackets. Actually taking the whole thing to get Rhino Lined next week. There are a couple of rust spots starting.

F18E971E-1581-44F7-A263-A8B7DA3A6D4E.jpeg

C7E883B1-5702-4F45-8B86-F2FA182C3E66.jpeg

DAB5D9BA-90CB-4476-A0EE-B0653CFB606B.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
LTCSlacker

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
Let me know how it looks when rhino lined. Could be interesting!

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
Not related to the UD, but yeah long wait times (got the doors). My complaint is that they don't tell you it's a long wait time (at least not as long as it really is), and they charge you money up front and keep it the whole time. I complained, didn't matter. I even cancelled my order but they sent it anyway.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Finally got mine delivered...man oh man, they really need to package things better. Having a brand new item that is being delivered dinged up, poweder coating chipped, and showing rust is kind of ridiculous.

How much did that sent you back? I really dig the way that came out?

I think it turned out great!!

Jeep Gladiator Upper Decker (Ace Engineering) Mods and Discussion RLCoverWhole2

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Finally got mine delivered...man oh man, they really need to package things better. Having a brand new item that is being delivered dinged up, poweder coating chipped, and showing rust is kind of ridiculous.

How much did that sent you back? I really dig the way that came out?
I did the entire thing, top and underneath too. It was $400. Not cheap but it was either that or have someone re-powdercoat and I like this option!

Sponsored

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I did the entire thing, top and underneath too. It was $400. Not cheap but it was either that or have someone re-powdercoat and I like this option!
That's not too bad. I will have to see what local shops charge...at least I have a baseline now. Thanks so much.

OP
OP
LTCSlacker

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
That's not too bad. I will have to see what local shops charge...at least I have a baseline now. Thanks so much.
I may do the same. But I think I'll leave it as is for now. And when it gets beat up, then I will coat it.

OP
OP
LTCSlacker

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I finally got my brackets fabricated for my Ace Upper Decker.

I still need to prime and paint the whole set-up (bars, towers, hardware), but here is a pic for now.

The Custom Camping Concepts towers (with cross bars)have been welded to a bracket that attaches into the Ace Upper Decker. Total overkill, but each bracket has 4 bolts on top going into the Decker, and 3 (with washers) in the side holes. It is not going anywhere.

When I reinstall, I will probably not even use all of the bolts - depends on how long it takes me to put them on and take them off!

Once I prime and paint, I'll be getting a Roof Top Tent for this, but I'd also be able to use a Roof basket, or anythign I want with those bars.

Jeep Gladiator Upper Decker (Ace Engineering) Mods and Discussion Jeep with Decker and Bars.JPG

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I decided to sell mine. Didn't even get to set it on the Truck. Really a shame becuase I like the look of it.

OP
OP
LTCSlacker

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I have finally gotten my rack parts painted, and my Roof Top Tent arrived, and it's all now put together.

In sum, I have:
1) Ace Engineering Upper Decker
2) Custom Camping Concepts Towers and Bars
3) Welded plates on the Towers that bolt to the Upper Decker
4) Front Runner Rooftop Tent and Annex

It all works great. My only issue overall is that the Upper Decker will no longer stay up all on its own, due to the total weight. I can open it, but I'll need to get something to hold it open if I need it that way temporarily.

All in all, though, I am very happy with the set-up. Driving at speed shows little noise, even with my Bestop sunrider open. Pleny of space in the bed (under the Upper Decker) and on top of the Decker (under the tent). Pleny of visibility out of the back window.

Now just to get out camping!

Jeep Tent (Packed 1).jpg

Jeep Tent (Packed 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 1).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Opened.jpg
Sponsored