First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Several folks have mentioned how slow USB charging from the media ports is. I've noticed iPhones and iPads charge slowly, but my Pixel phone fast charges just fine. With a very small sample set, LG was a common factor.

I had a chance to test an LG tablet, the G5 something, this morning. It was very interesting watching it initially fast charge and then downshift to slow charging.

What devices do you charge from the media ports? Do they fast charge for you?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yup - that's what we see. If we are going some place an hour away, we're so used to our phones charging in that short time at home only to get to our destination and find our phones have gained only 10-20% in that whole time.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
If you want a good way to look at it use the app Ampre it will go into details of the actual charge rate. Thats how I found out the USB-C ports are completely worthless since they do not support the PD spec allowng 18W or greater charging. Meaning the advantage they bring is lost, lol.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a good way to look at it use the app Ampre it will go into details of the actual charge rate. Thats how I found out the USB-C ports are completely worthless since they do not support the PD spec allowng 18W or greater charging. Meaning the advantage they bring is lost, lol.
I might have to do just that - just out of curiosity.

OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
My Pixel works fine with the fast charging feature, have you considered it may be the interface LG exposes that may be lacking? Your software will only report what the hardware supports.

The LG tablet I have provably doesn't work properly with the same port and cable that works as expected with my Pixel.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Pixel works fine with the fast charging feature, have you considered it may be the interface LG exposes that may be lacking? Your software will only report what the hardware supports.

The LG tablet I have provably doesn't work properly with the same port and cable that works as expected with my Pixel.
It could be that FCA didn't create a charging system that works properly across the spectrum of devices. Seems the Pixel is about all that does work. Could it be that it's Jeep's issue to fix?
My wife's device works fine with other generic charging systems. Just not Jeep.

OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Do you have any non-LG devices to test with?

It could be that FCA didn't create a charging system that works properly across the spectrum of devices. Seems the Pixel is about all that does work. Could it be that it's Jeep's issue to fix?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any non-LG devices to test with?
Just an older Nexus tablet I use in my shop. All else are LG. Before LG it was Motorola as it was the only device brand that would work where we live due to the superior antenna. Then along comes LG and makes an antenna design that rivals Motorola and now LG works fine out here but no other brands besides Motorola and LG - so no, we can't own anything else and want it to work at all out here.

I'm not a fan of the competing OS devices and they'd not work here even if I was.
Not a fan of Android either necessarily since Google stole code to create it, but what do you to? Go with what works for you where you live!
So - both my wife's phone and mine - LG
My main tablet - LG
My shop tablet - Nexus
My Chromebook isn't a USB charged devi ce, but it's an Acer
My laptop is an HP
My server is an HP
My wife's iPod is an old version no longer available and I don't believe it was capable of a fast charge - it has the older style Apple connector.

1OffCraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Samsung Note20 will fast charge from the USB-C port, but my Samsung Galaxy Tab-E tablet only slow charges. I do appreciate how it will still charge with the Jeep shut off.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Both are still just USB 2.0 spec and sadly, this isn't uncommon on a lot of devices that present a USB 3.0 C port. If you pull the panel, it has two USB Mini B female ports that pass through to the front and the vehicle harness has two male ports.

It's a device thing because the USB port is a dumb technology. If the device demands the power it will provide and many manufacturers have restricted fast charging on non-validated chargers because they don't regulate power properly and are prone to overheating. Also because money.

Sponsored

OP
OP
brianinca

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
USB is a dumb technology? Despite all new devices moving to the Type-C charging technology, including MANY Apple devices? I think it's freakin' magic to charge my phone, my HP notebooks, my MacBook Pro and my wife's ASUS Chromebook all from the same 60w charger. Can't wait until she upgrades to an iPhone 12 so I can lose the Lightning cables from every charge point.

I dunno where your case of ass comes from, whether FCA or the USB Constortium!

Both are still just USB 2.0 spec and sadly, this isn't uncommon on a lot of devices that present a USB 3.0 C port. If you pull the panel, it has two USB Mini B female ports that pass through to the front and the vehicle harness has two male ports.

It's a device thing because the USB port is a dumb technology. If the device demands the power it will provide and many manufacturers have restricted fast charging on non-validated chargers because they don't regulate power properly and are prone to overheating. Also because money.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
USB is a dumb technology? Despite all new devices moving to the Type-C charging technology, including MANY Apple devices? I think it's freakin' magic to charge my phone, my HP notebooks, my MacBook Pro and my wife's ASUS Chromebook all from the same 60w charger. Can't wait until she upgrades to an iPhone 12 so I can lose the Lightning cables from every charge point.

I dunno where your case of ass comes from, whether FCA or the USB Constortium!
I said the USB port (Type A, B, C and their variants) is dumb. The technology (USB 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc.) is all in the devices which negotiate and regulate the current. In this case it's the vehicle head unit and your phone. If you have two devices that don't give a f*ck then they can draw all the power they want and light themselves on fire. This is why cheap chargers and the like are a bad idea - quality equipment serves as a check on each other.

Honestly thinking about it, if it can actually fast charge, the USB Mini B connector on the back side of the panel is probably just a design choice and no indicator of performance (i.e. 2.0 vs 3.1) because you can't proper fast charge until you get to USB 3.1... the others just don't allow the necessary power. I just noticed every phone I plugged into it (between 4 iPhone variants and 2 Samsung phones) slow charged so I assumed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Samsung Note20 will fast charge from the USB-C port, but my Samsung Galaxy Tab-E tablet only slow charges. I do appreciate how it will still charge with the Jeep shut off.
I thought the USB ports shut down after 10 minutes with vehicle OFF - or is that just the rear ports?
When we had the record-breaking derecho (and it was just rated the most expensive thunderstorm in US history) and we had no power for that week, I had to use the Jeep to charge phones - and my hearing aids.
I started the Jeep, then shut it off, plugged things in and they were charging (albiet slow) but if I went out an hour later, they were not. So I read the book and it said "...... shuts off after 10 minutes"
Including the inverter as I finally took our CHARGERS out there, too (had to with hearing aids - no other way than to use the supplied charger) and even that shut off after a while. More than their 10 minutes, but shorter than an hour - so I had to keep going out at night and starting the truck and shutting it off.
Found my wife's GC acted the same way - power for a while, then it shut ports down.
I'd guess so you don't drain the battery when charging your devices long-term.
It was inconvenient as heck until we were finally able to borrow a generator.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
My S20 Ultra will not charge via any of the USB ports.

Ended up having to go with a cigarette lighter fast charger. Sucks when I want to use Android Auto.

Kinda wish JT had a always on cigarette lighter....my JK had two ports....one was switched the other was always on.
Sponsored