USB Port Center Console

20GladRubi

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had an issue with the USB port in the center console. All of a sudden it stopped working and no power or car play. Then today it works like nothing happened. I did notice that the USB port in the console charges my phone when the car is off. Is this normal ? I never noticed that before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CJ
Sponsored

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
Same thing here - it has dropped CarPlay a couple of times with no real explanation of why.

happened on a long drive last weekend. I pulled off the highway, stopped the car and got out, locked the doors and waited 10 seconds. Got back in, everything was ok again. That formula has worked for the small glitches Ive encountered, indicating they seem to be more software-related rather than hardware related.

i have it on my notes to talk with the dealer about when i take her in for the first service.

itā€™s weird. And not ok.

OP
OP
20GladRubi

20GladRubi

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing here - it has dropped CarPlay a couple of times with no real explanation of why.

happened on a long drive last weekend. I pulled off the highway, stopped the car and got out, locked the doors and waited 10 seconds. Got back in, everything was ok again. That formula has worked for the small glitches Ive encountered, indicating they seem to be more software-related rather than hardware related.

i have it on my notes to talk with the dealer about when i take her in for the first service.

itā€™s weird. And not ok.
I will try that but is it supposed to have power even when the car is turned off ??

OP
OP
20GladRubi

20GladRubi

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My USB port in the center console has power when the car is turned off. Is that what it is supposed to be like?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
My USB port in the center console has power when the car is turned off. Is that what it is supposed to be like?
Yep. I am pretty sure it will stay on for an hour after the car is off when you use it.

Sponsored

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Some USB cords only work if plugged in ONE direction...for example, the one that came with my iPhone wonā€™t charge/connect to CarPlay unless I flip the connector 180 degrees when I plug in. To remedy this, I used a permanent marker to add a dot to the side of the cable that needs to face the phone to properly connect. I bet you guys are having the same issue!

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
Some USB cords only work if plugged in ONE direction...for example, the one that came with my iPhone wonā€™t charge/connect to CarPlay unless I flip the connector 180 degrees when I plug in. To remedy this, I used a permanent marker to add a dot to the side of the cable that needs to face the phone to properly connect. I bet you guys are having the same issue!
I'm confused...for my Apple USB charging/data cable, there is literally only one possible way to plug it in to a USB port. One end of the cord has the flash connector (to the phone), and the other end has the USB plug, which is designed to only insert one way (I.e. I can't flip it upside down and still have it connect). I thought all USB cords/plugs were unidirectional?

From this website: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/connector-basics/usb-connectors
  • "Polarization - A USB connector can only nominally be inserted one way. It may be possible to force a connector in wrong, but that will result in damage to the device."

BrandRezake

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Controls Engineer/Entertainment Program Manager
This always happens to me as well. Iā€™m hoping that a software update will fix it on my next service, but to be honest, I really donā€™t want to change anything because mostly everything works great. But to not drop CarPlay randomly would be nice.

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
I'm confused...for my Apple USB charging/data cable, there is literally only one possible way to plug it in to a USB port.
I have an iPhone 10 and this is the end that plugs into my phone...if I plug it in ā€˜backwardsā€™ (which feels just the same as plugging it in the correct way!) sometimes nothing will happen and other times Iā€™ll get a ā€œaccessory not supportedā€ message on the screen.

Some USB cables can actually be plugged in upside down into the USB port too...Iā€™ve done it with this exact cord.
DA16EA08-93BF-4BD2-ACDA-EFA6A0414590.jpeg

SP25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I had an issue with the USB port in the center console. All of a sudden it stopped working and no power or car play. Then today it works like nothing happened. I did notice that the USB port in the console charges my phone when the car is off. Is this normal ? I never noticed that before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CJ

We had a similar problem during our Xmas road trip. The problem we had was CarPlay quit working and the usb power was intermittent. We did some google research seemed quite a few people where having the same problem, the common problem seemed to be fuses werenā€™t seeded correctly. We pulled all fuses associated with the head unit and usb power and ensured they were all the way, no issues since. I donā€™t remember every fuse off the top of my head, but 11, 51, 97, and 101.

It was definitely frustrating, good luck getting it figured out.
Sponsored