Using Homelink buttons to power lights

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I did a little video to show how to use the Pilot PL-SW29 remote unit to hook up auxiliary lighting to the Homelink buttons. Doing it this way eliminates the need to run wire into the cab or mount switches. So if you don't have the Aux switches from the factory, don't fret. I got you covered. Sorry about the camera work.

IMG_20191015_171940.jpg

I didn't mention it in the video but the ground from the lights goes to a body ground NOT the Pilot box. The supplied Velcro will hold it to the battery blanket without issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Did the same thing on my Ram a few years ago... somewhere in here is a link to the write up (not as thorough as yours!) I did on the install....

OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Yeah all this is your fault. LOL I asked about it in another thread and you turned me on to it. Someone else was asking in another thread and I promised a write-up, easier to video. The wiring directions were a bit confusing but Google to the rescue! Thanks for the inspiration.

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Glad you made it work! I was going to do the same thing, but when I found out about the AUX switch package I made a mission to find one on the lot with it.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I did a little video to show how to use the Pilot PL-SW29 remote unit to hook up auxiliary lighting to the Homelink buttons. Doing it this way eliminates the need to run wire into the cab or mount switches. So if you don't have the Aux switches from the factory, don't fret. I got you covered. Sorry about the camera work.

IMG_20191015_171940.jpg

I didn't mention it in the video but the ground from the lights goes to a body ground NOT the Pilot box. The supplied Velcro will hold it to the battery blanket without issue.
wow, that is slick. Also my garage door isn't compatible with homelink, so they're all free for stuff now. Can you add more circuits with another Pilot PL-SW29 and more buttons?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Hmm, maybe. Not sure about the frequency of the remote but the Homelink uses rolling codes. Might require another model or brand to access different RF frequencies. I'll (probably) never use more than the four channels on the one I have now.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Hmm, maybe. Not sure about the frequency of the remote but the Homelink uses rolling codes. Might require another model or brand to access different RF frequencies. I'll (probably) never use more than the four channels on the one I have now.
doesn't the visor only have 3 buttons? But the Pilot PL-SW29 has 4, right?

I probably wouldn't either, just curious. I would double up a bunch of lights to 1 switch.

OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Yeah 3 on the visor, 4 on the remote. I just threw the remote in the center console. If I ever need the 4th channel I'll have the remote within reach.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Is there any concern about the Pilot control box drawing current while the Jeep is off and draining the battery (batteries)? This is a very intriguing option. Alternately, does anyone know if there is an accessory power lead we can access under the hood without causing canbus issues?

OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
The pilot box is basically just a complicated switch. It only draws power when the button is pushed. The internal relay closes and the power goes to your lights

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Ever since I saw your first post, I’ve had this idea in my head about using those homelink buttons and the pilot box to trigger custom horn sounds.

Pretty much just like in this YouTube video, just with the Homelink buttons instead of physical buttons.

Pocono-Jeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Dodge Durango
The pilot box is basically just a complicated switch. It only draws power when the button is pushed. The internal relay closes and the power goes to your lights
If you turn the truck off with the button pushed would it keep drawing off the battery?

OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
The way I have mine wired, yes. If you power the unit with a circuit that is powered only when the truck is running then it would shut off when the truck did.

Jhoussock

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator rubicon
This Looks like a great option to run the off-road lights I have planned....two questions, if each light has a harness do I just twist them together and run to one positive assuming they are both under 15 amps? Second is there a way to wire this so if I accidentally turn on the lights they shut off with the power of the Jeep to avoid draining the battery?

OP
OP
CarolinaGladiator

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I wired mine that way. Wired one light to the other then ran one lead to the box. As for cutting the power when the truck is off. Using a switch powered lead instead of the battery should do that.
Sponsored