V6 3.6 vs. EcoDiesel for daily driver

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I spent a lot of time researching and debating between V6 3.6 and eco diesel.
JT is going to be my daily driver. I like outdoor activities but I don't do hardcore offroading.
It's so hard to make a decision so I started listing down pros and cons of each.
Overall I think V6 3.6 is more suitable for me but before making $40k+ purchase, I want to hear out others' opinions.

Diesel - Pros:
1) 442 lb-ft torque (I plan to run 37s on stock gears)
2) holds resale value better?

Diesel - Cons:
1) Selec-trac not available (Michigan winter makes me want this option)
2) EGR/DPF concern
3) +$4k option, no stock in dealer inventory so I need to place an order, I won't be able to negotiate price.

Gasoline - Pros:
1) Selec-trac avaliable (Sport S)
2) Can have more options (cold weather package, premium audio) instead of $4k diesel engine

Gasoline - Cons:
1) Low torque (I will add max tow package w/ 4.10 gears to run 37s but diesel will still handle 37s much better)

As you can see I did some homework lol
What do you guys think? What would you do if you were me?
Sponsored

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
I spent a lot of time researching and debating between V6 3.6 and eco diesel.
JT is going to be my daily driver. I like outdoor activities but I don't do hardcore offroading.
It's so hard to make a decision so I started listing down pros and cons of each.
Overall I think V6 3.6 is more suitable for me but before making $40k+ purchase, I want to hear out others' opinions.

Diesel - Pros:
1) 442 lb-ft torque (I plan to run 37s on stock gears)
2) holds resale value better?

Diesel - Cons:
1) Selec-trac not available (Michigan winter makes me want this option)
2) EGR/DPF concern
3) +$4k option, no stock in dealer inventory so I need to place an order, I won't be able to negotiate price.

Gasoline - Pros:
1) Selec-trac avaliable (Sport S)
2) Can have more options (cold weather package, premium audio) instead of $4k diesel engine

Gasoline - Cons:
1) Low torque (I will add max tow package w/ 4.10 gears to run 37s but diesel will still handle 37s much better)

As you can see I did some homework lol
What do you guys think? What would you do if you were me?
I can’t answer between the diesel and V6 but you should 100% be able to negotiate on a custom order.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
You have to ask yourself why you would want the Diesel.

Certainly NOT to save money, either on purchase price or fuel. At current prices, the $4000 diesel cost's "break-even" point for most people will be well over 100,000 miles away. Any heavy towing in your future? For a DD in snow belt area, I would think that the Selec-Trac FT4WD t-case would be very useful and might outweigh the diesel's advantages?

For most people, it's really just a matter of "because I wanted it", or they like the way diesels feel and drive. Nothing at all wrong with that, but coming to grips with what you want and why you want it might help in your decision process.

Personally, I'd really like a diesel JT and would consider it in my next purchase, but I fully realize it's just a "because I like it" thing, not because it makes any kind of financial sense, or that I *need* it for my expected usage.

Last edited:

IPB13

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Silverado 2500HD durmax Crew Cab. 2020 Volvo V60 R design (wifes daily), 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 1993 VW Cabrio (wifes tow), 2000 Honda S2000, 1950 Chevy Fleetline
Occupation
Sales/Ops/Engineering/Project Management
I just went through this debate, and ended up going gasser in the form of a Rubicon. I am coming out of a 2016 2500HD with the Duramax, this was my second one. I used it to tow snowmobiles and campers etc..

When making the decision I broke down the payback of the diesel option based on current fuel costs, and as the poster above said, it would take a long time to realize the savings for the mpg increase.

Also the diesel is rated at 6000 towing capacity, and the gas Rubicon is 7000, so gas won there for me as well.

I'm also looking forward to not having to make emergency stops for DEF on long trips in the future!

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
and 37's on stock gears is ludicrous. Dont expect much!

Sponsored

OP
OP

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@adbeck
Hope that's the case. I've only been to one dealership and the salesman was pretty firm that there isn't any discount other than corporate incentives. Once I decide the model & options, I will get a quote from multiple dealerships and have them compete.

@Kent5
I am with you. I always wanted a diesel truck (personal taste) but especially that I plan to run 37s on JT, I wanted more torque than what V6 3.6 can bring. But I have to give up Selec-trac AND deal with the potential EGR/DPF issues.

@IPB13
I agree what you said, and MPG isn't really a major factor to me as I don't drive a lot (short commute & probably working from home until COVID goes away)

@HorneyBadger
Well I've found a lot of JT Rubicon (4.10 gears) owners running 37s on stock gears. I assume most of them are like me - mostly daily driving, not much offroading. They say 8 speed automatic transmission does pretty good job managing RPMs. Some complain they don't see 8th gear much but I don't think 8th gear is used a lot on stock wheel/tire setting anyway.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
You may be ok with a Rubi that has 4.10's but other versions with 3.73 leaves a lot to be desired. Also if you do short distance and no hills, again you may be ok. With 35's on 3.73 (Overland) going up hills I would be in 6th and 4k RPM. The 37's are just big speed brakes. with 4.88 or 5.13's they would be much easier to turn and better on the engine. And offroad is a whole different story.....

So I guess it is all up to the application. Around town, no worries. Who cares about gas mileage!

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I don't drive a lot (short commute & probably working from home until COVID goes away)
Based on this alone I would not go with the diesel - that engine isn't ideal for short runs - it can do it, but it prefers longer drive times.

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
Just my thinking, but I would go Diesel, you will always think maybe I should have got the diesel :like:
I read on here that most don't think there is a saving to be had, but I really feel its going to be more then some with the gas rigs are willing to believe, Yes you must maintain you ride for it to give good performance and last for years, and also you must keep it for 150,000/300,000miles. I find it really funny when gas mileage is talked about and then state they drive at 75/90 mph with 37s:facepalm: I drive all over the west coast and Baja and I get around just fine at 55/65 mph. I am all for all the builds here and what others like to do, but a 33inch tire is a big tire, and really some good suspension components that are stronger and give better travel are a better choice then huge tires and expensive rims. I have also seen talk about a big different in purchase price from gas to diesel, but in my build and shopping I was only seeing a 4-5k difference in price. Also I did drive both gas and diesel models and I think few would deny that ones smile and fun factor goes up to the top of the scale. I got my 2021 ordered and it came out in the upper 40s price range for a Rubicon diesel. Sorry for the long post and getting off topic a little:beer: hope this helps.

Sponsored

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
A diesel is great (must have actually) if you are regularly going to be towing something substantial. I've had multiple diesel pickups. When my use changed from regularly towing to only occasional short around town driving, the diesel was not ideal. Deleting it was almost required (LML Duramax). The EPA is making that more and more difficult now.

Of course if a person just wants people to know they spent the most on your truck that they possibly could, than a diesel may be the best choice. :)

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Military
I just got rid of a 2019 VW Golf R with the premium Fender audio. In terms of audio quality and sound performance, the $43k R blew away the Bose audio in my $70k 2019 Corvette, which I thought really sucked. We purchased the premium Alpine in our new 2020 Gladiator Mojave, and it literally blows away the VW Fender audio in my opinion. I've tested it out on various genres, classic rock, electronica, country, etc. and it's a badass stereo system that can transport you into another dimension. The acoustics on some of the older classic rock is really bad, and this audio system can make it sound good.

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Military
A diesel is great (must have actually) if you are regularly going to be towing something substantial. I've had multiple diesel pickups. When my use changed from regularly towing to only occasional short around town driving, the diesel was not ideal. Deleting it was almost required (LML Duramax). The EPA is making that more and more difficult now.

Of course if a person just wants people to know they spent the most on your truck that they possibly could, than a diesel may be the best choice. :)
From my understanding, Jeep doesn't and isn't going to offer the diesel in the Mojave trim. I can't speak to what the reasons are, but there's surely some sort of negatives at play behind this decision.

Can anyone answer why that's so?

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
From my understanding, Jeep doesn't and isn't going to offer the diesel in the Mojave trim. I can't speak to what the reasons are, but there's surely some sort of negatives at play behind this decision.

Can anyone answer why that's so?
I have heard on some threads people mentioning losing 3/4-1” when adding a steel number and winch or when there is added weight in the bed, so I wonder if there is a limitation with the suspension and the added weight of the engine.

OP
OP

reverse01134

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rocky4by
37s is purely for stance :LOL: I am willing to compromise on the gas mileage and ride quality.

@Tapped_Out
you are making me want the premium audio even more! I am curious if the Alpine system is waterproof. Not that I am going to cross a river with JT but just to be safe in case weather changes while I am driving door/top less.
Sponsored