Sponsored

Texbaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Zynith Silver
Occupation
Retired
First trip with the 2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, towing a 2022 17' Casita Independence Deluxe Travel Trailer (GVWR 3500). Final destination Valley of the Gods, Utah.

Left Waxahachie,TX 6/1/2024 about 7:00am heading for Santa Rosa Lake state park as my layover. Made my way via US 287 to I40 where I continued till I made it to Santa Rosa Lake State park. Spent the night this was about the half way point,continued on.

Driving I40 had its moments, this is a main artery for our country, semi's galore drivers hauling all our products while it is what is, it takes its toll on the surface and some states just don't prioritize upkeep,sad. Made it to Gallup,NM headed north to Utah Valley of the Gods 6/2/2024.

Something I wished I would have done before leaving was installed some assist air bags, would have made a major difference. even if I wouldn't have had anything in the truck bed the Tongue weight and its arm are enough to squat the Gladiator, even with my Anderson weight distribution hitch. And my Casita can't be more than 400-450lbs tongue weight.

Spent a few days in Valley of the Gods, wind was pretty mild first night. Temp was around 95 during the day. when I arrived that night dropped to about 65 pretty nice. Next day temps went up, winds pretty heavy, what the weather apps predict versus what is actual for the Valley of the Gods is not correct prediction was mild 10mph. But,winds had to have been 15mph gusting to 30 easily. second night didn't get cool till about 11pm pretty hot. Temps finally dropped to the mid 60's.

Broke camp around 2pm Tuesday,traveled to the town of Bluff,UT grabbed a site at the Cottonwood RV site. Pretty much empty, Nancy, the owner commented weather too hot nobody wants to RV in these temps, I can see her point. RV park was great, clean bathroom, clean shower, nice site. Nancy has a nice place,works hard to keep that way.

Drove around Bluff a bit stopped in at the Fort Bluff museum, very nice, great info. Bluff is a very nice little town don't pass it up if driving thru.

Time to head back to Santa Rosa Lake state park and make my way home. My original plan was to go south the Gila National forest, Lake Roberts. But, the distance and time to drive I decided I can do it when the weather was cooler. Took a route toward home, thru Ship rock, Farmington, down to Bernalillo,then to Albuquerque and onto I40,then back on US287 south got home 6/7/2024 around 8:00pm.

Gas mileage was 13.2 mpg for the total 2227 miles. fuel prices ranged anywhere from 2.80 gal to 4.00 gal. Gas mileage dropped off once I started heading south. When coming out of Albuquerque, I was actually averaging 15.1 oh well must have hit a head wind for sure.

Beautiful, driving thru the rural country parts of New Mexico, Utah, Arizona. Out of nowhere people are living the good life, they have a wonderful life but certainly have to work for it.

Many Thanks to sw00per and azmojave, great threads they have motivated me to go.
Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodcasitafuji

This is Santa Rosa Lake state park, 10 bucks a night to boondock. has great dump station, first come sytem.

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodcasitafuji-2

First night in Valley of the Gods.

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodcasita9

The Casita, looks like I took a wrong turn.
Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodcasitafujixpro

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodcasitak1-5
Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodcasitak1200
Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodsgladiator
Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodcasitak1-3
Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodcasitafuji-6
Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. ValleyoftheGodsfujixpro-2
Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. Cottonwood

Picture above Cottonwood RV great place rest up, cleanup to travel

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. OFFroadgauge
Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. Goosenecksfujixpro
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Beautifully out there. We were out there a few years ago with a motorhome.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Glad to see you had a good trip!

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Great pictures.

Horseshoe bend really looks muddy right now, I think it has to do with them filming lake mead and letting lake Powell suffer this year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Texbaz

Texbaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Great pictures.

Horseshoe bend really looks muddy right now, I think it has to do with them filming lake mead and letting lake Powell suffer this year.
Yes it was and overcast,windy,hot, typical area weather for taht time of year I guess. Definitely muddy water.

OP
OP
Texbaz

Texbaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Glad to see you had a good trip!
Thanks azmojave, most likely will be back in the early september,october. So much to see. I really liked the idea of spending a few days at an RV site like cottonwood in Bluff. makes things a lot more convenient. Of course it wont be near as hot.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Yes it was and overcast,windy,hot, typical area weather for taht time of year I guess. Definitely muddy water.

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. DSC_0058

Yeah they’re definitely playing shenanigans with the dam. Here’s a pic I snapped last year in September.. looks almost empty in comparison now.

When family or friends come through Vegas we tend to do a tour or Italy of sorts of the desert southwest… we take an early start and head south into the Hualapai reservation (known as the famous sky walk) then onto dinner in Sedona.. if you time it right it can be right around sunset and is beautiful. We do and an overnight stay there, then we hit the road early on to Horse Shoe Bend in the morning, and into Zion by mid afternoon. We can usually do some exploring in the park and be home by 11pm and back to work on Monday. I do this usually one or two times a year, so crazy how much the water Has recessed in less than a year.

I hate the summers, but we are so close to great wheeling and views I need to stop complaining. Anywho, I’m really glad you enjoyed your time down here, even if you didn’t directly contribute to my low property tax, life is short to be experienced only through photos and YouTube videos.

OP
OP
Texbaz

Texbaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
jefe1018, the picture I posted is of Goosenecks, state park, UTAH. I looked at the pictures again and I can see how that could be confusing. Great picture would like to visit someday also

Last edited:

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
jefe1018, the picture I posted is of Goosenecks, state park, UTAH. I looked at the pictures again and I can see how that could be confusing. Great picture would like to visit someday also
Haha I focused on the river and not the rock formation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Texbaz

Texbaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
jefe1018, I did bring up the map and traced the route you described. That would be a great drive and lay over.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
awesome, i live in Kayenta, AZ for years. That's just south of Mexican Hat. Rafted the SJ river many times from sand island to Mexican Hat. So much fun

OP
OP
Texbaz

Texbaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
AstroZombie, Fantastic country. I drove past Sand Island a few times should have stopped in but had the trailer with me. Didn't know much about it but did see what looked like outfitters going in the parking area. should have stopped. one more place to explore more when I go again.

Solar Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave,
Occupation
Solar inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful region of the US! I spent a few years there driving from Denver to LA, and this was in the middle 🤣. Best commute in the world. I would suggest time on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, and some time in Glen Canyon next trip. You can’t go wrong with driving the Moki Dugway either. Just spent the weekend in Sedona, and took the rental 4Runner across Schnebly Hill. Worthy of a separate post

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. IMG_4204

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. IMG_2470

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. IMG_2474

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. IMG_4207

Jeep Gladiator Valley of Gods, buttes and more buttes. IMG_4197

OP
OP
Texbaz

Texbaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)