Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
high Tech
Vehicle Showcase
So I got all 4 of my corroded valve stem caps off, but...... I jacked up two of the nipples at the end of the valve stem. I've seen my body unthread these before. Does anybody know if thats possible with the TPS sensors? I can still get air in them but it leaks out a little when applying an air hose. All Sensors still work. But I jacked up the threads at the very end. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
TPMS sensors are like $40 a piece at any dealership. Since you're buying 4 (or 5?) just grab them from allmoparparts for 26.26 each (assuming you've got the newer ones) then pay a tire shop $20 each to install them.

Whatever you do, don't ask a dealership to install them. I wanted one in my 5th wheel and they said the charge for mounting a TPMS is 1 hour labor, which is insane.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Slime 20088 4-Way Valve Tool
This right here. I have use one to chase and clean up the threads on a few stems I thought I was going to have to have a tire shop replace. Saved me the hassle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oasis Supernova

Oasis Supernova

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
high Tech
Vehicle Showcase
This right here. I have use one to chase and clean up the threads on a few stems I thought I was going to have to have a tire shop replace. Saved me the hassle.
Thats the problem. The threads are completely gone at the end. Hell I cut almost half the stem off in some places. Lol. I got a little too carried away with the dremmel. I can still fill them, and they still hold air. It just makes a loud host when filling because the air gun doesn't have much to hold on to. So basically everybody is saying that the threaded nipple on the end is not replaceable from the TPS sensor? Its all 1 piece?

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
You can keep the sensor and replace the valve. That's what the tire shop does.

AUTOKAY 20 PCS TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor Rubber Valve Stems Kit 17-20008 for GM-930A for GMC Cadillac Chevy Silverado 1500 2500 Suburban https://a.co/d/inc6WCQ

That's just an example. They all mount the same way. Or most do.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Thats the problem. The threads are completely gone at the end. Hell I cut almost half the stem off in some places. Lol. I got a little too carried away with the dremmel. I can still fill them, and they still hold air. It just makes a loud host when filling because the air gun doesn't have much to hold on to. So basically everybody is saying that the threaded nipple on the end is not replaceable from the TPS sensor? Its all 1 piece?
It appears so, for about $200 you can make this problem go away with new parts and piece of mind.

Edit maybe not the only way, you’d have to see what a tire shop charges you.

Jeep Gladiator Valve stem covers removed! Now what???? 0B79095E-675C-4F0D-95E5-94C2DB431C18

OP
OP
Oasis Supernova

Oasis Supernova

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
high Tech
Vehicle Showcase
You can keep the sensor and replace the valve. That's what the tire shop does.

AUTOKAY 20 PCS TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor Rubber Valve Stems Kit 17-20008 for GM-930A for GMC Cadillac Chevy Silverado 1500 2500 Suburban https://a.co/d/inc6WCQ

That's just an example. They all mount the same way. Or most do.
Sweet. Hopefully that solves the problem. Plus it doesn't hit my wallet too hard. Lol

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, I think you are hosed if wanting to recover full threads then. Like @Lunentucker mentioned, the stem itself can be replaced separate from the sensor but you are probably going to need a tire shop to do it as the bead has to be broken off the wheel/tire to gain access. There is shade tree methods to do it at home but is a bit of a pain and run risk of scuffing your wheel finish.

If you have a tire shop do it, they may not take your bring in replacement stems and want to sell you theirs on top of the labor to change them out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oasis Supernova

Oasis Supernova

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
high Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I think you are hosed if wanting to recover full threads then. Like @Lunentucker mentioned, the stem itself can be replaced separate from the sensor but you are probably going to need a tire shop to do it as the bead has to be broken off the wheel/tire to gain access. There is shade tree methods to do it at home but is a bit of a pain and run risk of scuffing your wheel finish.

If you have a tire shop do it, they may not take your bring in replacement stems and want to sell you theirs on top of the labor to change them out.
Oh well. Its not the end of the world. Maybe I'll just replace them when I get new tires. Like I said they hold air and I can still fill them. Good enough for now I guess. Lol

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Here's the rubber stem kit:
tpms.com has them for $1.99:

Jeep Gladiator Valve stem covers removed! Now what???? 0B79095E-675C-4F0D-95E5-94C2DB431C18

Jeep Gladiator Valve stem covers removed! Now what???? 1673465818799

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Slime 20088 4-Way Valve Tool
This - you can chase the threads. I've got a couple because with ag equipment, the valves stems always get messed up.
But sounds like you may be beyond chasing threads. Is there enough left to at least hold a cap on? But then - may make airing up and down problematic.

OP
OP
Oasis Supernova

Oasis Supernova

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
high Tech
Vehicle Showcase
This - you can chase the threads. I've got a couple because with ag equipment, the valves stems always get messed up.
But sounds like you may be beyond chasing threads. Is there enough left to at least hold a cap on? But then - may make airing up and down problematic.
I'd bet there's enough for a cap. Airing up just takes a little longer. Lol