Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Last weekend was replacing the injector pump on my 2001 Ram Cummins & doing other service work on it while I was at it.

Over the winter, some little varmint had chewed up part of the hood insulation pad, and used it to start making a new home in the air cleaner box. While in there he was also chewing up the foam pre-filter on the surface of the air filter element. A very common scenario when you live out in the country here in Ohio.

After cleaning out the air box, and replacing the filter element decided to fabricate a way to keep the little critters from gaining access a second time.
I cut the expanded metal screen from the surface of the old air filter element. Then cut a section of the screen to fit the inlet opening of the filter air box, and riveted it in place.

I've never been a big fan of the vertical air inlet design of the air filter box of my Mojave. It just seems to beg for something to either be dropped/fall down in there, as well as being super easy access for little furry friends to build a cozy nest.
Since the Mojave is normally parked only about 8ft. from the Ram in the same garage thought it was a good idea to varmint-proof this one as well.
So still having plenty of the expanded metal screen from the Ram air filter, fabricated an inlet screen for the Gladiator.

This first image is of the screen cut to fit the air inlet flange.
Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project DSCN3981.JPG

And this is the finished product riveted in place, & should do the trick.
Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project DSCN3982.JPG
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
When I was spinning wrenches. We had cars come in that was chewed to hell and back from critters. The hood insulation, vacuum hoses, air filter elements, and wiring insulation seem to be the favorite material to make a nest with under the hood. Find the critters everywhere under the hood, cooked. Had one that was spun to death in the cage of the A/C blower cage.

Here's a picture from my motorcycle. It's a 2007 Honda VFR. Bought the bike as a leftover still in the crate in 2008. So it sat in the dealer warehouse for months until I bought it. Put the bike together and put it on a dyno to see where it stands. It was way down on power. At first we couldn't figure out why. i started to dig, and this is what I found. 3 dead mice.

DSCN0322.JPG

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Where is the A/C blower intake on these trucks? I had a nest on top of my Tacoma cabin air filter once; hardware cloth over the blower intake solved it. Hoping to do the same on my Glad once it arrives.

OP
OP
Killroy Was Here

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Where is the A/C blower intake on these trucks? I had a nest on top of my Tacoma cabin air filter once; hardware cloth over the blower intake solved it. Hoping to do the same on my Glad once it arrives.
The A/C & Heater outside air intake is at the cowl vent louver slots located between the windshield wipers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Killroy Was Here

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Decided the other day to dust some matte black paint on the new screen so it is less noticeable when the hood is up.
Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project DSCN4011.JPG

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You do know a mouse can get in through the opening in the grill, right?

OP
OP
Killroy Was Here

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
You do know a mouse can get in through the opening in the grill, right?
Your right, forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.
Good thing I have plenty of extra screen from the Ram filter to take car of that. Will get that covered when I get a chance.

OP
OP
Killroy Was Here

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Had some time today, so made a screen for the small air intake duct in the grill opening.
Thanks again to Kevman65 for reminding be about this duct opening to the filter air box.:like:

Removed the grill, and the black plastic vertical filler panel on the passenger side of the radiator to expose the end of the intake duct.
Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project DSCN4016.JPG

It has a nice stepped flange molded into the end, so cut another piece of the screen material to a tight interference fit.
Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project DSCN4020.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project DSCN4024.JPG

After dusting a light coat of matte black paint on the screen, pressed it into place, then re-assembled everything.
Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project DSCN4027.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project DSCN4030.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project DSCN4031.JPG

Worked out pretty well, and coincidentally the hex pattern in the screen material matches the pattern of the grill inserts.

I'm now pretty certain that there won't be any furry hitchhikers living in my air filter box & chewing up the filter element for nest building material! 🐭🐿🦔

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
The A/C & Heater outside air intake is at the cowl vent louver slots located between the windshield wipers.
Interesting. I finally got around to trying to protect the air intakes today. I don't know if things are different on my 2022 diesel, but there's no HVAC intake between the wipers. Or on either side of the wipers - unless it's in a gap between welded panels under the cowl, totally inaccessible. I looked all over the cramped engine bay, and nothing visible there either. Totally perplexed.

Unsurprisingly, the diesel air intake is different too. If you didn't know, it's on the opposite side (gas passenger side, diesel driver side). And that little air scoop in the front grille doesn't enter the airbox at all - it just directs cool air up into a rubbery cowl around the main intake. But all air must enter through that main intake duct (except a pair of tiny water drain holes at the bottom of the airbox)

Anyway I did a job with 1/4" hardware cloth. I wish I'd revisited this thread first - the riveted expanded metal from the air filter looks a lot better. Maybe I'll convert over one of these days
Jeep Gladiator Mouse & Varmint-proof Engine Air Intake Project IMG_1173
Sponsored