Sponsored

Very curious about the typical forum member - why all the modifications?

Oknotiller

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202q
Occupation
2021 JTS
I'm just curious, not judging at all. Here, one in five vehicles on the road except pickups is a Jeep product, half of them are Wranglers. Of those, maybe one of 20 is not pure stock, maybe one of 100 has any modification except mild tire/wheel upgrades. I have not seen a Gladiator "in the wild" except purely stock Sports and Sport S. Jeeps are just another vehicle here. Granted the state's roads are 95% unpaved, and we have 24 towns over 20,000 population, but a stock Jeep is just a common source of transportation.

I stumbled on this site trying to figure out a solution for mudflaps, since I can't get to my shop without slinging mud all over the sides, but I've hung out for over a month trying to understand the love and infatuation expressed by the posters here.

By the way, here a truck is over 32,000# gvw. So, tell me about your environment so I can grasp this fan base.
Sponsored

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
I'm just curious, not judging at all. Here, one in five vehicles on the road except pickups is a Jeep product, half of them are Wranglers. Of those, maybe one of 20 is not pure stock, maybe one of 100 has any modification except mild tire/wheel upgrades. I have not seen a Gladiator "in the wild" except purely stock Sports and Sport S. Jeeps are just another vehicle here. Granted the state's roads are 95% unpaved, and we have 24 towns over 20,000 population, but a stock Jeep is just a common source of transportation.

I stumbled on this site trying to figure out a solution for mudflaps, since I can't get to my shop without slinging mud all over the sides, but I've hung out for over a month trying to understand the love and infatuation expressed by the posters here.

By the way, here a truck is over 32,000# gvw. So, tell me about your environment so I can grasp this fan base.
You will not " understand the love and infatuation expressed by the posters here" without spending some time in either a Wrangler or a Gladiator.

Rent one for a week or two, or go offroad with someone experienced in it. You won't get it just from reading here.

Honestly, not everyone gets it.

OP
OP

Oknotiller

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202q
Occupation
2021 JTS
You will not " understand the love and infatuation expressed by the posters here" without spending some time in either a Wrangler or a Gladiator.

Rent one for a week or two, or go offroad with someone experienced in it. You won't get it just from reading here.

Honestly, not everyone gets it.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
This is my fourth Jeep.....I get it.
I am flummoxed.

Forgive my post and ignore me. I don't understand what you asked, but I don't have to either. I am sure someone else on here will chime in.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

If you don't understand it, after owning four Jeeps, there is nothing that can be said here to help you.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I stumbled on this site . . . but I've hung out for over a month trying to understand the love and infatuation expressed by the posters here.

Either

1) Confirmed Jeepers who wished for years Jeep would bring out a "truck" again.

2) Confirmed pickup drivers who longed for a Jeep but could not do without some hauling ability.

3) Otherwise unclassified users who are just amazed at how much FCA packed into this thing.

Are you saying the JT should not be called a truck? I think, in most of the country, a truck is a vehicle designed to haul something besides people. It could be a compact, mid-size, or full-size pickup truck, a flat-bed, a 10-wheeler, 18-wheeler, a 320T ore hauler, and anything in between.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
...but I've hung out for over a month trying to understand the love and infatuation expressed by the posters here.
I like my Gladiator.
It's a fairly unique vehicle, and there are hundreds of ways to customize it.
It's very capable, and fun to drive.
But I don't think it's the be-all & end-all of automotive technology.

Flame on!

:)

Kevin

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I think I can help here.

It's my jeep and I like it. I drive it to different places to find different environments.

It ain't about where you live, it's about where you go.
Great post!!

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I'm super confused on what exactly you're asking here. Is this like you asking, why this hobby? How about you first, this is clearly an enthusiasts forum for specifically the Gladiator, why did you decide to join on this particular forum? You could have easily asked any local off-road shop in a 500 mile distance to you or even the dealer you bought the Jeep from to get mudflap ideas, but yet you chose to come here? I'm genuinely curious to know.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I love the JT. It's my second jeep, first being a 17 JKU. That was a fun car but very rudimentary in refinement and not very good for commuting or daily driving.

The JT is a great commuter with vastly improved comfort and interior amenities along with keeping the jeep factor for fun and uniqueness.

The ride is improved by the longer wheelbase and the 8 speed auto makes way better use of the old V6 found in the JKU which only had a 5 speed.

Don't see many jeeps and even less JTs out here. The fixed up ones or stock Rubicon are only used for mall crawling here. So I got what made sense for me as a daily with superb off road capabilities if I ever needed it.

OP
OP

Oknotiller

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202q
Occupation
2021 JTS
I'm super confused on what exactly you're asking here. Is this like you asking, why this hobby? How about you first, this is clearly an enthusiasts forum for specifically the Gladiator, why did you decide to join on this particular forum? You could have easily asked any local off-road shop in a 500 mile distance to you or even the dealer you bought the Jeep from to get mudflap ideas, but yet you chose to come here? I'm genuinely curious to know.
I didn't mean to make everyone defensive. I thought the question was clear: why all the modifications? We use them in their stock form, use them every day, feel no need to express ourselves through them. They are simply an every day, common tool here. I assumed there was something different about our surroundings that caused that.

I asked all the off road shops within 100 miles, then I came here. It was just a question; I am sincerely sorry I asked.
Sponsored