very very balky 4wd steering

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I'll preface this question by saying that I am not at all new to 4wd vehicles, and also not new to 4wd vehicles with sold front axles and cardan/cross u-joints in the solid front axle (about 10 year ago my daily driver for several years was a 1989 Ford F350 with a Dana 60 front axle). In fact I like the rugged simplicity of this particular design axle.

I haven't had much reason to run my Gladiator in 4wd until a snowstorm that came the other day, and I am surprised by the intensity with which the front end seems to have a rythmic, powerful bind-lurch-bind-lurch-bind-lurch-bind-lurch feel as soon as you steer at any significant angle away from straight ahead. Again, this is on surface with snow on top of unfrozen unpaved road and driveway, not a high traction surface.

Is this normal for a JT/JL? Maybe the sheer mass and length of the F350 soaked up some of the bucking from the u-joints. I'm just really surprised how intense it is in my Gladiator. If this is normal I'd think it would be really awkward in off-roading. I can get used to it (but it is very clumsy with the manual transmission, as the bind part of the "rythm" can stall the engine when operating at very mild throttle), I just want to make sure that something isn't out of whack.
Sponsored

RG48820

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Stinger GT2; Dodge Stealth RT/TT
No such issue with my Rubicon yesterday or today with snow covered streets and driveway. Had it in 4H for about 2 of 5 hours from 10 mph up to about 45. A tight turn in a drive through was the only time I felt any binding but it was very brief and never happened in normal steering.

OP
OP

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Thanks RG48820 - I am wondering what could be going on that could account for this?

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I'll preface this question by saying that I am not at all new to 4wd vehicles, and also not new to 4wd vehicles with sold front axles and cardan/cross u-joints in the solid front axle (about 10 year ago my daily driver for several years was a 1989 Ford F350 with a Dana 60 front axle). In fact I like the rugged simplicity of this particular design axle.

I haven't had much reason to run my Gladiator in 4wd until a snowstorm that came the other day, and I am surprised by the intensity with which the front end seems to have a rythmic, powerful bind-lurch-bind-lurch-bind-lurch-bind-lurch feel as soon as you steer at any significant angle away from straight ahead. Again, this is on surface with snow on top of unfrozen unpaved road and driveway, not a high traction surface.

Is this normal for a JT/JL? Maybe the sheer mass and length of the F350 soaked up some of the bucking from the u-joints. I'm just really surprised how intense it is in my Gladiator. If this is normal I'd think it would be really awkward in off-roading. I can get used to it (but it is very clumsy with the manual transmission, as the bind part of the "rythm" can stall the engine when operating at very mild throttle), I just want to make sure that something isn't out of whack.
I noticed the very same thing yesterday while making slow sharp turns in a parking lot with a few inches of snow. I thought it was odd as my JKU didnt seem to be this severe. Mine is an automatic.

MaximusDecimusMeridius

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Red LE, 2014 Sierra 6in lift, 2015 Ford Fusion
I had the same issue during the last snow storm...turning felt like it was binding

I was on snow covered roads and very slick conditions at the time. I've driven many 4x4s and this was the most intense I've ever felt.

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same issue during the last snow storm...turning felt like it was binding

I was on snow covered roads and very slick conditions at the time. I've driven many 4x4s and this was the most intense I've ever felt.
Yes.. this doesnt seem normal... anyone else experience this?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
following - just got mine, no real reason to go to 4x4 mode since the roads have mostly cleared........... for now......... my other 4x4 has totally different CV joints and you can crank the wheels hard hard and no bind at all (it will turn a circle inside of a Jeep turning radius)

Elwenil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Dodge Ramcharger
Occupation
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Dealership Parts Manager
Sounds to me like the front tires are losing traction in a sharp turn. Very common with a part time 4WD system with no clutches or center differential. On a slick surface the tires will sometimes slip to make up the speed difference in a turn rather than the spider gears when in 4WD.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds to me like the front tires are losing traction in a sharp turn. Very common with a part time 4WD system with no clutches or center differential. On a slick surface the tires will sometimes slip to make up the speed difference in a turn rather than the spider gears when in 4WD.
Then why didnt my JKU xdo the same in 4hi on mild snow?
This seems very unusual

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not my first jeep
Not my first driving in 4 Hi or 4 lo
Not my first snow rodeo

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
different axle or t-case ratios? Tire size? Different arc on the steering knuckles vs other jeeps?

Elwenil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Dodge Ramcharger
Occupation
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Dealership Parts Manager
Then why didnt my JKU xdo the same in 4hi on mild snow?
This seems very unusual
There are too many variables to say for sure without seeing it happen and looking at all the differences. My Ramcharger on D60s and 37s will push the front axle in a tight turn on pavement, in 2WD and no, I do not have a rear locker. I can make it do it anytime I want in granny gear and full turn to lock. If I had to guess, it's the difference in turning radius, gearing, weight and available traction. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the driveshaft or axle joints. Years ago it was common to have a slightly higher (taller) ratio in the front axle so it would pull more than the rear pushed, but I've still seen it happen with those trucks. A difference in tire wear or pressure can also change the final gearing to have a bearing on how the 4WD acts. In my opinion, it is normal operation and nothing to be concerned about based on your description. If you doubt it, and that is reasonable, but easily proven or dis-proven by having someone video the vehicle in a tight turn under those conditions and see what the axle and wheels are doing when it happens.

Reactions: Tim

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
If it's binding it means that at least some of the drive wheels have very good traction and aren't slipping. I've noticed no difference between my Gladiator and my TJ wrangler on similar surfaces.

difference in turning radius, gearing, weight and available traction
These are all good points as to why it would be different.
Sponsored