Sponsored

Vibration from 20-25 mph on 37s, common issue?

PnwGladiatorBuild

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI , 2022 JTRD
Hey there. So I just had @Discount Tire install my 37s and the truck looks solid but it strangely started to vibrate the wheel when accelerating from 20-25mph. I called and the shop told me to bring it in but said because they are 37s it’s probably the tire size that’s causing vibrating.
I asked them to rebalance them anyway and they agreed to .

Is anyone else having vibration issues with 37s?

Also has the Mopar 2” lift but I didn’t have any vibrating after the lift install.
Tires are Nitto ridge grapplers and wheels are method 312s.

Tia

Jeep Gladiator Vibration from 20-25 mph on 37s, common issue? 7A67D991-AC1A-44C9-AF6C-044A45FA609E
Sponsored

Last edited:

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Big tires are hard to balance, and what you're describing is characteristic of being out of balance.

Did this Discount Tire have a road force balancer? Most do, but I understand that not all do.

I ran 35s on my JK, and had no end of difficulties finding a shop that could properly balance them. I eventually ended up taking it to a local dealership who had a road force machine and that did the trick.

Last edited:

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
I also had my 37's installed at Discount Tire, but they also have a road force balancer... no issues with mine at all...

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Mine do a bit in that same range. Maybe more like 22-30 in my case. Super smooth everywhere else. It isn’t really an issue for me I guess and sometimes it doesn’t vibrate in this range at all.

Sponsored

rm1515

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Mine does this also. Same exact setup except wheels. My 35’s didn’t do this. It started as soon as I drove it from the store after installation. I also went back and had them rebalance them. It didn’t help.

Last edited:

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
They did a crap job on balancing… have them do it again or go to a different discount tire.

I have a luxury of going to 3 different dt’s in a small area and one of them always does a crap job. I had to stop going there because they and thier machine sucks soo bad. The two other dt’s, I never had a single issue.

Good luck.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Mine does this also. Same exact setup except wheels. My 35’s didn’t do this. It started as soon as I drove it from the store after installation. I also went back and had them rebalance them. It didn’t help.
IDK but in my case its minor and really nothing I would get annoyed about. I have experienced really off balanced tires/wheels and this is far from it.

Funny story. I had a co-worker that put I recall 33”s on his Pathfinder. Had some minor vibration. Drove him nuts he ended spending a crazy amount of time trying to fix it to only end up switching tire brands. he was the same guy that compiles hundreds of pages in a binder documenting issues when he moved into a new home he had built. I think sometimes you just get a bad one that no matter what is going to have a small vibration. Most people I know just live with it lol.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Nice thing about Generals, they take almost nothing to balance them. My neighbor bought a set about the same time I did and he said a couple of his wheels have almost no weights at all on them. I can take mine up to 95 without a single tiny vibration. Granted, they aren't 37s, but still.........

OP
OP
PnwGladiatorBuild

PnwGladiatorBuild

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI , 2022 JTRD
Thanks for all your help! I do think they are not balanced correctly so I will see what they do today! I I will report back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PnwGladiatorBuild

PnwGladiatorBuild

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI , 2022 JTRD
Man. They rebalanced them and still it’s vibrating…. Ugh… I don’t know what to do.

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
I worked at Discount/America's in high school and college for beer and book money. It's a good company and they'll take care of you one way or another.

I would take a look at the total amount of weight being used for balancing. If one wheel has significantly more weight on it, I would start there. There are things they can try, such as breaking the beads and rotating the tire on the wheel 90 or 180 degrees to see if the light and heavy spots are in better alignment afterwards. The less weight needed to balance, the better.

As a DIY step, you can try rotating them front to back and see if the vibration gets better or follows a specific set of tires. You may have just gotten a bad tire or tires that are more prone to vibration. The margin for error gets narrower and narrower as diameter and weight go up.

You can also ask them if they are currently dynamic or static balanced, and ask them to try the opposite method if nothing else has worked to that point. A dynamic balance will use weights on the inner and outer edges of the wheel, a static balance will use one weight. Dynamic vs static is a choice made by the person doing the balance but there's no universal right or wrong.

There's also a human element to consider. Your wheel and tire combo is something like 110 lbs combined. They are an absolute pain to work on, and to continue fiddling with. Be sure to be patient and polite. I am still dealing with a back injury 15 years after my time there due to the heavy lifting involved.

OP
OP
PnwGladiatorBuild

PnwGladiatorBuild

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI , 2022 JTRD
I worked at Discount/America's in high school and college for beer and book money. It's a good company and they'll take care of you one way or another.

I would take a look at the total amount of weight being used for balancing. If one wheel has significantly more weight on it, I would start there. There are things they can try, such as breaking the beads and rotating the tire on the wheel 90 or 180 degrees to see if the light and heavy spots are in better alignment afterwards. The less weight needed to balance, the better.

As a DIY step, you can try rotating them front to back and see if the vibration gets better or follows a specific set of tires. You may have just gotten a bad tire or tires that are more prone to vibration. The margin for error gets narrower and narrower as diameter and weight go up.

You can also ask them if they are currently dynamic or static balanced, and ask them to try the opposite method if nothing else has worked to that point. A dynamic balance will use weights on the inner and outer edges of the wheel, a static balance will use one weight. Dynamic vs static is a choice made by the person doing the balance but there's no universal right or wrong.

There's also a human element to consider. Your wheel and tire combo is something like 110 lbs combined. They are an absolute pain to work on, and to continue fiddling with. Be sure to be patient and polite. I am still dealing with a back injury 15 years after my time there due to the heavy lifting involved.
I have nothing agaist the guys installing. They are great and have offered to make it right by changing the tires. I just don't want extra vibration in a solid axle vehicle. Im just looking to see if there is something else I can do or if other people have had this experience. Sounds like I shouldn't be getting any extra vibration from the tires I have... I'll see what we can do.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just don't want extra vibration in a solid axle vehicle.
straight/solid axle doesn't matter - you should not have vibration at all in any vehicle, independent suspension or no, solid axle or not, live or dead axle, doesn't matter.
Vibrations are not normal, regardless, and always indicate a problem - somewhere...

rm1515

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
I have nothing agaist the guys installing. They are great and have offered to make it right by changing the tires. I just don't want extra vibration in a solid axle vehicle. Im just looking to see if there is something else I can do or if other people have had this experience. Sounds like I shouldn't be getting any extra vibration from the tires I have... I'll see what we can do.
I called today and go in tomorrow for the same issue. They told me over the phone they would do whatever it takes to make it right. My right front has a ton of weight on it. I think it may be the problem. But we will see tomorrow. I will let you know what happens.
Sponsored