Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Really showed the difference between the Gladiators solid front axle and the IFS Silverado as far as traction and capability. The TFL guys do a nice job with their videos .

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Title suggests it's an Overland, but it's actually a Rubicon.

Maybe should read "Overlanding with Gladiator vs Silverado".

Edit: thanks to whoever revised the title.

Last edited:

DansJT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon in Gator!
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've been considering using the Mopar steel spare wheels as well. But, they're 7.5" wide just like stock. The BFG MK3 they're using requires a 8.50" to 11.00" wheel width. Is this not a big deal to mount a tire slightly out of width spec?

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
I've been considering using the Mopar steel spare wheels as well. But, they're 7.5" wide just like stock. The BFG MK3 they're using requires a 8.50" to 11.00" wheel width. Is this not a big deal to mount a tire slightly out of width spec?
I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it worked but is it safe?

Sponsored

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
These guys need to know the TAT route they are planning to use includes large chunks of pavement. Iā€™ve done the tat East to west on dual spirt bike and chunks of it MS to CO in my JK. Plan on doing some of it in my JT this summer as well. But it isnā€™t 100% dirt. Just mostly.

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah. Love the the fact they love their Rubi JT but I couldnā€™t finish the vid. And if they are here in the forum Iā€™d love to discuss why.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it worked but is it safe?

You CAN mount a wider tire to the OEM rims. You will get a narrower foot print and a wider wall budge than if mounted on a wider wheel.

The manufacturers recommended wheel width is a CYA by the tire companies (pushed by insurance and lawyers) so that if someone mounts on an unapproved wheel they aren't liable.

Now, if you want to mount a wide tire on a narrow wheel, you either do it your self or find a tire shop that doesn't care about the rules.

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I'm curious as to your comment. Care to expound?
Oh gosh. I just saw your reply. It has been a while since I watched the vid. But I seem to recall them comparing apples to oranges with the trucks. Also misinformation regarding the TAT. Nothing serious but it just seemed to be a bit misleading. Iā€™d have to watch it again. I love my JT Rubi also but comparing those trucks just isnā€™t fair. Also some of the ā€˜obstaclesā€™ .... there were good points too but it seemed like focus was put on production value as opposed to actual helpful information. Doesnā€™t matter tho. I hope they have a great trip
Sponsored