Wait for Mid-Cycle-Update (2024MY)?

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
So from pretty reliable sources I'm reading the Wrangler will get an update for MY23 and the Gladiator an update for MY24. Including a 4XE Gladiator.

I'm about to pull the trigger today on a 6% below invoice JTRD. I have three questions:

1. Would you proceed with the MY22 JTRD order or wait for the MY24 Gladiator refresh and/or 4XE?

2. At 6% below invoice, if I wanted to swap out my MY22 JTRD for a MY24 4XE in 2023, do you think the resale value would prevent me from taking a bath?

3. Has anyone had both a 4XE Wrangler and a Diesel Gladiator or Wrangler? How did they compare/which did you like better? I will be using mine for off-road/overlanding trips.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of pulling the trigger. If you want the truck, go get the truck at 6% below invoice. It's still going to lose value regardless, but you will have 2 years to have fun in it before they refresh. And honestly what would you be waiting the 2 years for? The basic structure and features aren't going to change much, you may get a new grille, some minor interior upgrades and tech upgrades. I personally don't think it's worth two years of waiting for the current 4xe powertrain, and if it does end up getting to where it is that much better just trade up.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
It's the same in the auto industry as it is in the tech world. The next better one is always just around the corner. Always. Unless there's a feature or update you know about that you're specifically looking forward to, I wouldn't wait just for the sake of getting the new new. Or you'll always be waiting.

Jeep resale values have always been good, that's what originally got my ass in a TJ 15 years ago. That said, the used market is crazy right now and betting on it remaining the way it is, is foolish, imo.

OP
OP
Zybane

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
It looks like doing some research that the 120v electric outlet in the 4XE only does a pittance of 150w anyway. I'd have to get an inverter to hook to the starter battery to run higher draw items like a microwave anyway and let the 4XE DC-DC converter charge the starter battery.

Not ideal. So if I have to get an inverter and do wiring anyway, I may as well get the Diesel and do a separate lithium battery bank.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Just do it. I waited way too long on MY22 and was disappointed when nothing changed. Now that I have the JT in my garage I'm kicking myself for not having bought it sooner. You will not be disappointed - You're buying it for so many more reasons than what can be changed in a refresh, this truck is amazing right now.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I'm waiting. I want to see what the refresh is going to be, options available, engine options...etc. If I don't like what is announced, then I'll pull the trigger on the current MY before they close down.

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Every day you wait is one less day to enjoy the diesel. It is only a matter of time before they try to outlaw them altogether. I would be shocked if they make the diesel platform for much longer. And trust me, it is FUN!

aristobrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD (stock), 2010 JKUR (4.5"/37)
I'm waiting. I want to see what the refresh is going to be, options available, engine options...etc. If I don't like what is announced, then I'll pull the trigger on the current MY before they close down.
I'm going to wait to see what the JL refresh looks like and then make the decision on whether to wait for the JT refresh.

I bought my JKUR in 2010, the year before the big interior refresh. I'd prefer not to be in that cycle when I jump over to a JT, but it's not a dealbreaker.

I'm more hoping they'll have some refinements that help with the diesel cooling situation.

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
Don't bank on trading as even with higher trade in value's they don't keep up with the inflated sales prices. Not sure about the 4xe, but would be happy to move to an inline 6.

Sponsored

ImThe0ne

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I said it in another thread, I will say it again here. It is my opinion that the price of Gladiators today will not be the price next year or the year after. If you can get the model you want for 6% below, I'd do it... Just my opinion.

Falcor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘11 Subaru Legacy GT, ‘22 Subaru Forester Touring
I was wondering as well if there will be a drastic interior change, but I was thinking of the timing of the JK refresh. That was around the time Fiat bought Chrysler and they made sweeping changes to existing Jeep interiors.

Since I'm still on the fence between a 2 door and a Gladiator, the only thing I'm concerned with is the base Sport. Currently it has manual doors, but in order to keep up with the Bronco, they very well may change all 2023 JL/JT's to powered doors.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Provided things don't change drastically, you could probably buy something now and sell it in 18 months to get a MY 24 vehicle.

But that assumes we don't go into a recession and you don't put too many miles on it.

With that said, I'd not get a 4xe. I actually waited for 2022 MY hoping that the Gladiator would get 4e. But after ordering a pentastar, I've realized that I dodged a bullet. The JLWrangler forum is filled with people with 4xes whose vehicle had trouble and it took Chrysler weeks to fix it with no loaner offered. Often they were waiting weeks for a 4xe specific part.

I love the idea of 375 hp and 460 ft-lbs of torque with good economy. I'm not anti-electric and am generally pro plut-in hybrid. (best of all worlds).

But this is a Fiat version 1.0 effort. And if frankly a mess. If Jeep was owned by Toyota, who has the hybrid absolutely nailed from a technical and reliability perspective, I'd get one in a second. (The Prius came out 23 years ago, so they've had a while to iron out wrinkles).

I keep my cars typically for 10 years. So it would be dumb to get a 4xe.

If you are someone who tends to keep their vehicles for 2-3 years, I'd not be so afraid of 4xe.

bl1ndman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JTR EcoDiesel
One thing to consider with the diesel is the payload, my JTRD is only 909 lbs. It would be nice to know when the JT is getting the new I6 turbo.