Sponsored

Wanna see what 50 year old transmission oil looks like?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My 8/1972 build VW bug got it's first ever transmission oil change today. It was quite disgusting. I filled it up with royal purple synthetic 75w140. What a difference modern oil makes in shifting.
This picture shows you the color, but it doesn't do the amount of old sludge justice at all. I'll probably drive it a few weeks (not daily any more) and then do it again.

IMG20220424164155.jpg
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My 8/1972 build VW bug got it's first ever transmission oil change today. It was quite disgusting. I filled it up with royal purple synthetic 75w140. What a difference modern oil makes in shifting.
This picture shows you the color, but it doesn't do the amount of old sludge justice at all. I'll probably drive it a few weeks (not daily any more) and then do it again.

IMG20220424164155.jpg
By law, youā€™re required to provide pictures of anything older than 1973. Just saying.

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By law, youā€™re required to provide pictures of anything older than 1973. Just saying.
Let me see if I can find one. She ain't "pretty". Just old. Unrestored but well maintained and in the family for a long time.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Let me see if I can find one. She ain't "pretty". Just old. Unrestored but well maintained and in the family for a long time.
My favorite. Driven history.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s fantastic. Never sell it. Nothing like yours, but coincidentally my mom has a 22 year old vapor blue bug. Sheā€™ll never sell it Iā€™d guess. Someday it will be as cool as yours.

OP
OP
NachoRuby

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Believe it or not, even back then, the owner's manual claimed the gear oil was a lifetime oil, never needing changed. I don't think they expected lifetime to be this long though.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
My dad had 6 Bugs over the years. He used them for work. The last one was a '74 gold Bug that was called a SunBug. It was a factory option. I learn to a drive stick with those Bugs.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland

Jeep Gladiator Wanna see what 50 year old transmission oil looks like? IMG20220424164141
I can smell it from here.

Iā€™ll never forget the smell of the original fluid in my S10 Blazerā€™s rear differential fluid when I pulled the cover for the first time at 300k miles.

At that point, I wouldnā€™t have touched it if the rear axle seal wasnā€™t leaking

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Dang nasty stuff there. I changed my LJ's manual transmission fluid at least 3 times so far. First changed at less than a year. I don't think I could let it go that long. Now I really need to get my JT's transmission and transfer case fluid changed. šŸ˜² Now a top priority for me now

JTNARJ

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Altitude
Wow, this gave me a flashback...

In the late 80s I worked at an oil and lube shop. An older woman brought in a 70s era Cadillac. As I pulled it in, I could tell it hadn't been maintained. Once we got it up in the air, I pulled the oil plug and nothing came out.

Nothing.

After about 30 seconds, a slow, oozing string of oil fell like it was in slow motion. I'd never seen anything like it, so I caught some in a cup. It was like tar.

The car needed so much work... transmission fluid, air filter, coolant, hell even the wipers were wasted. I went to the waiting room to talk to the owner. She was very nice, grandmotherly. She told me her husband had died, and he used to do all the vehicle maintenance. I extended my condolences, and asked how long he had been gone.

Eight years. It had been eight years since the car had absolutely anything done to it.- She drove it daily, about 50 miles a day by her estimate.

I ended up flushing the engine with kerosene, then put a new filter and 5 quarts of 5W-30 in it. Ran it for about 15 minutes, then changed the oil and filter again. I wouldn't touch the transmission - too many problems changing the fluid on a tranny that neglected - and did all the other required maintenance. Cut her a discount on the regular maintenance and didn't charge her for the flush. Scored a customer for life. She would come in on Monday mornings, which were slow, to get her oil changed and just talk. Very sweet woman.
Sponsored