First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I have decided on Warn and either the Zeon or Platinum. Warn says size the winch for 1.5 times GVWR. For a Gladiator, that means a 10K is fine. Others say go with 2 times GVWR. After looking at prices, I decided that I would pay roughly $100 more and get the 12K over the 10K and not worry about who is right. In general, the Platinum is $500 more than the regular Zeon and while the specs are a bit different, it seems the biggest difference is the completely wireless control. My decision was that for the times I use the winch, it was not worth the cost difference. I am not a hard core rock crawler using my winch every weekend, but I have been very thankful to have it on more than one occasion. Suddenly, as I am shopping prices, I find a 10K Platinum for just $100 more than the 12K Zeon. That seems like the best "deal." So here is my question: Who has had problems with a 10K winch getting the job done (I do carry a snatch block by the way)? Who has used both the Zeon and the Platinum and what are your thoughts as to the relative merits of each? The 12K Platinum is still $500 more than the 12K Zeon, so that is not an option I will consider. I guess my choices are a 12K Zeon or $100 more for a 10K Platinum. Synthetic either way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Following...
I have been doing some additional research. I found this thread on another forum (hopefully it will not get stripped out by the system) https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/warn-platinum—-is-it-worth-the-extra-cost.7653/. There is a lot of discussion off the direct topic, but it seems that some people like the wireless controller, especially those who travel solo, and others don't like them, saying the batteries run down in storage and the wireless technology creates failure risks. All of those concerns make sense to me. After digging some on the Warn site, I have found one interesting difference between the 10S Platinum and the 12S Zeon. They have similar amperage pull on the battery, but the 10S Platinum reels in 5.6 feet per minute at max load compared to 3.3 for the 12S. That 70% faster speed may make the decision for me. Speed is important and I think I would give up a little bit of power for that speed. I had the 9.5ti on my last Jeep and that model was well regarded for its speed. The current version of it is 5.9. So, I almost get there with the 10S Platinum.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I was also debating between Warn Zeon Platinum and just Zeon.
My decision to get the regular Zeon was the engagement lever. Platinum it can only be controlled with the remote. Anything happens to that remote you will not be able to disengage or engage winch. Plus you can always add a remote to the regular Zeon and have the corded remote as a back up.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I have the Zeon 12s in case you wanted to know. Got that because it was only $140 more then the 10s.
I do wish it had a longer rope though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have the Zeon 12s in case you wanted to know. Got that because it was only $140 more then the 10s.
I do wish it had a longer rope though.
That was where I was headed originally. The 12S is just a bit more than the 10S and on first blush, that makes it an easy decision. Then I see a 10S Platinum for just a bit more than that and it is a lot faster. I do agree with you. There is risk of having an expensive paperweight if anything happens to the remote.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
For what it is worth, I just put a Warn VR Evo 12S winch. It can be used via either a plug in remote, or just use the remote without plugging it in, as a wireless remote. Warn calls it a "standard duty" winch, but it cost less than half as much as their "ultimate performance" Platinum 12s winch.

How often do you plan on using that winch?

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
For what it is worth, I just put a Warn VR Evo 12S winch. It can be used via either a plug in remote, or just use the remote without plugging it in, as a wireless remote. Warn calls it a "standard duty" winch, but it cost less than half as much as their "ultimate performance" Platinum 12s winch.

How often do you plan on using that winch?
I don't use my winch that often, but when I do, I really, really need it to work. I have to admit also that I am on a bit of a buy American kick these days. I am trying to wean myself off of cheap Chinese stuff even though I can save a few bucks (and sometimes a lot of them). I want people to support my American job, so I figure I should support theirs. I have no animosity toward those who can't or choose not to do the same, but I am trying to put my money where my mouth is. The Zeon line is made in the USA and the EVO line is made in China.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Well I commend you for supporting America. That is the same reason there has never been a foreign car in my garage. But I hope you don't think a Warn winch is completely made in America. The Evo line is made in China, like Smittybilt, and most other brands. The Zeon line is assembled in America (Oregon) with parts that are globally sourced. The motor may be made in Mexico, or the solenoid made in Brazil. I have owned only Warn winches since the 1980s. Right now I own 3 Warn winches, two are their 4500 lb winches that I have on UTVs that I own, and the other is the winch on my Gladiator. This last time, with the Jeep, I figured that if Warn has started using globally sourced parts that it kind of detracts from my incentive to "buy American" from them. So I bought their "standard duty" winch instead. I think the China made Warn winches are still probably better quality that other brands. Their warranty is certainly better.

Have a nice day. Sorry to derail your thread.

Last edited:

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
Ignoring the quality of the various Warn lines for a moment, a snatch block should be in everyone’s recovery kit. Your 10K winch does a lot more useful work with a pulley attached to the other vehicle or fixed anchor point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Ignoring the quality of the various Warn lines for a moment, a snatch block should be in everyone’s recovery kit. Your 10K winch does a lot more useful work with a pulley attached to the other vehicle or fixed anchor point.
Yes. If pulling hard is the order of the day, I will use the snatch block. It cuts the speed in half, but that puts it on par with the 12K speedwise. I learned the hard way with the LJ that just because I could generate the pulling power with the snatch block, that did not necessarily make it a good idea. I pulled the suspension down so far pulling on a root I needed out of the yard that the locker wiring harness on top of the differential was crushed.

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well I commend you for supporting America. That is the same reason there has never been a foreign car in my garage. But I hope you don't think a Warn winch is completely made in America. The Evo line is made in China, like Smittybilt, and most other brands. The Zeon line is assembled in America (Oregon) with parts that are globally sourced. The motor may be made in Mexico, or the solenoid made in Brazil. I have owned only Warn winches since the 1980s. Right now I own 3 Warn winches, two are their 4500 lb winches that I have on UTVs that I own, and the other is the winch on my Gladiator. This last time, with the Jeep, I figured that if Warn has started using globally sourced parts that it kind of detracts from my incentive to "buy American" from them. So I bought their "standard duty" winch instead. I think the China made Warn winches are still probably better quality that other brands. Their warranty is certainly better.

Have a nice day. Sorry to derail your thread.
No derailment in my mind. We are talking the merits of different models. I understand the global aspect of supply chains, but you have to start somewhere. And you can’t be pure. I will have an Italian engine in my Jeep made in Toledo. A long journey starts with a single step and I want to see more and more components made here. I think our national security depends on it. Our enemies are happy to supply us with cheap stuff until the very day we no longer have the capacity to make things ourselves and then the price will change and there will be nothing we can do about it. I am very fortunate to be able to buy completely unnecessary toys like Jeeps with winches. So I am slowly but surely trying to practice what I preach. My wife drives a BMW, but it was made in South Carolina. As you point out, the components were “globally sourced.” Have a great evening.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'm a fan of hard-wiring the solenoid to a switch in the cab so wired vs wireless doesn't matter much to me.

What does matter is how well sealed the electronics are and I understand the platinum is a fair bit more protected than the standard Zeon. That's probably going to be important if you plan on submerging the solenoid box or if you deal with heavy road salt in the winters (doubtful in Houston but depends where you travel). If I'm spending that kind of money (I definitely wouldn't, but if I were...) I would probably go a bit further for the more durable unit.

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm a fan of hard-wiring the solenoid to a switch in the cab so wired vs wireless doesn't matter much to me.

What does matter is how well sealed the electronics are and I understand the platinum is a fair bit more protected than the standard Zeon. That's probably going to be important if you plan on submerging the solenoid box or if you deal with heavy road salt in the winters (doubtful in Houston but depends where you travel). If I'm spending that kind of money (I definitely wouldn't, but if I were...) I would probably go a bit further for the more durable unit.
In Houston, we use a fair bit of salt. We put it around the rim of our Margarita glasses. I hate doing it, but when you drive on the beach down here, you can pick up salt. I volunteer with a search and rescue team and we sometimes get deployed on the beaches and have to go through washouts. The fire station down there has a water pipe across the driveway with slits cut in it and I drive over it multiple times before leaving the beach, then I crawl under with the pressure washer when I get home.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
In Houston, we use a fair bit of salt. We put it around the rim of our Margarita glasses. I hate doing it, but when you drive on the beach down here, you can pick up salt. I volunteer with a search and rescue team and we sometimes get deployed on the beaches and have to go through washouts. The fire station down there has a water pipe across the driveway with slits cut in it and I drive over it multiple times before leaving the beach, then I crawl under with the pressure washer when I get home.
Well salt water is about as bad as you can get so I'd definitely be looking into the Platinum in your shoes... especially doing SAR where you never know if you're going to find yourself in a situation where you need to winch now and can't afford a failure.
Sponsored