Sponsored

Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate. Install notes.

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
Just some random thoughts before I mentally move on and forget.

1.) The Warn instructions are pretty minimal. In fact, there are none at all included for the winch plate, nor does Warn publish any on their website.

2.) I found the Northridge video to be the best for me. They move at a quick pace, stop and pause as you like. My personal style is impatience, so this vid worked extremely well for me. Even hinted that the extra five bolts from warn were for the filler panel that comes out of the bumper. aha! Of course!

3.) When you Re-install the bumper, the inside nuts are murder. Get your socket extensions, wobblers, and such ready because you will have precious little room. I found on the drivers side the top nut has the least clearance. Starting it with my fingers was the way to go. Get a fine ratchet as toward the end I was one click between swings.

4.). Reel in the line BEFORE offering up the bumper. There is extremely little access after the bumper is on. Would have been way easier.

5.). You can get 7/16ā€œ bolt fish doohickeys from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GN6UGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Makes fishing the fair lead bolts simple and you donā€™t have to make one then.

6.) Solenoids are a good idea, but beware, most of the 300 amp units on Amazon are NOT continuous rated. Might be best to just go with the WARN kit and get a solenoid and small wire sprig. Iā€™ve got the right crimpers as I have a set fir my boat where I have a lot of 12 banks, but for a single wire and not having to return an under duty solenoid. Just sayin, probably easier to just buy.

what I like? The winch really sits inside this bumper. If I make up a small bit of canvas as a cover, it wonā€™t take much. On the downside? Everything sits so tightly enclosed, I think you might have to remove the bumper just to change the line and those bolts are really a pain. Difficult maintenance has a way of not getting done. If I expected to use this all the time, Iā€™d probably change bumpers to something more exposed and super easy to maintain.

Thatā€˜s it so far.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Nice Post. Thanks for the tips. I just finished my installation of the Warn 10s Zeon Platinum. Here are some pics and parts list.

Warn 10s Zeon Platinum
Warn Winch Plate
Mopar Fairlead Plate
Maximus 3 License Plate holder
Maximus 3 Zeon winch rear filler plates
Factor 55 Ultrahook
Warn winch Power Interrupt Kit
Warn Black Epic 1.5 inch Fairlead
Warn low Bull Bar with Mopar 7" Flood lights

Note: I made the Solenoid holder with a piece of aluminum and an extra bracket. I used Aux Switches to activate the Solenoid

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. oUCz2m

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. mS5Sgi

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. 6iPFWi

It was a tight fit between the frame rails, but, I got it in there. The key is to keep those big zip ties loose until you get all the bolts on, then, line the bolt holes up perfect by pulling the zip ties a little tighter and then cinching down the bolts before putting on the bumper.

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. 6oksjS

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. XiUvFR

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. m5SFsH

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. bTMUy5

Here is the winch key being seated. I was not happy with how far I could tug it in, so, when tensioning the winch rope, I hooked up to a tree and used the JT in reverse to nudge it in flush with a straight shot.

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. FOfEme

Mazimus-3 filler plates, you just have to tap the existing 2 holes in the frame and they contour the Zeon perfectly. It has a nice slot hole for the Battery Cable. Factor 55 Red Ultrahook.

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. zqXTTP

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. Dp8Cml

After cinching down all the bolts, bumper, & skid plate, the winch is super solid. The warn winch plate is a great mount. As expected, I had to widen the rear bolts holes of the skid pate.
Maximus-3 License Plate holder hooks up to the top three bolts of the skid plate and has a backplate for the license, so, you can use a License frame without any vibration.

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. rtGb1C

Warn Power Interrupt kit Installation. It is hooked up to the Aux Switches. made the bracket myself with Velcro fuzz on the bottom so it will not scratch the paint.

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. CEnFP9

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. KYdMVx

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. sr3ft4

Note: My Mopar low grill guard with my Mopar flood lights would not clear the Warn Platinum head, not even with spacers, no way. So, I had to order the Warn low grill guard to get my Flood lights back up. Here are a few pics.

CmS9gp.jpg

hviNja.jpg

Last edited:

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
just an FYI, an impact gun will pop these welded nuts off these brackets lickity split and allows you to properly use the slots in that formed winch plate support bracket. The nuts aren't used for anything in the winch install (or any other application that I know of, maybe others may know if/when they're used for anything else?)

Jeep Gladiator Warn 10s in steel bumper with Warn Winch plate.  Install notes. 6iPFWi

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
just an FYI, an impact gun will pop these welded nuts off these brackets lickity split and allows you to properly use the slots in that formed winch plate support bracket. The nuts aren't used for anything in the winch install (or any other application that I know of, maybe others may know if/when they're used for anything else?)

@JRobes ... I am right at this point and it does indeed look like that welded bolt needs to come off because the warn plates do not fit terribly well. Can you please verify that black welded bolt indeed needs to be 86'd? :) I assume both on the plate need to come off? I figure I would get confirmation before doing something that I will regret later because I didn't ask! My impact wrench is awaiting your response :)

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
@JRobes ... I am right at this point and it does indeed look like that welded bolt needs to come off because the warn plates do not fit terribly well. Can you please verify that black welded bolt indeed needs to be 86'd? :) I assume both on the plate need to come off? I figure I would get confirmation before doing something that I will regret later because I didn't ask! My impact wrench is awaiting your response :)
I can tell you that on my 2020 Sport S max tow that I didn't need those nuts for anything. I'm not sure if they're there to be used for mounting other equipment on other models (shock reservoirs for mojave, sway bar disco for rubicon?). I popped them off and continued with the rest of the install.

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
Nevermind...I snapped them off... only way to make it work :)

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, I have a JTR.... with built in Swaybar Disconnect... those are unused. As easily as they come off... I cannot fathom on a JTR (and perhaps the Sport) what those are used for. They have to be for something that doesn't need high retention because it didnt take much to come off. I would love to know what they are for. On some other winch install videos, I didnt see them... so I wonder if they are relatively new. I should have perused AllData to see... but oh well :)

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enginerd
BTW, I have a JTR.... with built in Swaybar Disconnect... those are unused. As easily as they come off... I cannot fathom on a JTR (and perhaps the Sport) what those are used for. They have to be for something that doesn't need high retention because it didnt take much to come off. I would love to know what they are for. On some other winch install videos, I didnt see them... so I wonder if they are relatively new. I should have perused AllData to see... but oh well :)
Yeah, I'm wondering if they're for the mojave remote shock reservoirs... Would make sense since that's a newer model and maybe FCA revised the part to include the nuts for them.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I finally got it installed.... I figured I would share a snap..
Looks Great ! I love your KC light bar ! How did you like getting that rope protector on the Factor 55 link ? I felt like Thor swinging my copper hammer and punch almost full blast, lol .. Here is the latest pic of mine. I had the factor 55 rope protector powder coated black before I put it on.

JK6fyW.jpg

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the rope protector was a bit fun... trying not to scratch it too bad from the hammer bouncing. It took quite a bit more effort than the videos showed. I put a lot of force behind it. One of the rivets went in easily... the other 3 just wouldn't seat until after about 60-80 powerful hits. :rock:

Love the bull bar... that may be my next move. What vendor did you use for it? I'm not sure about getting lights on the bullbar though... I think I have too many at this point! šŸ˜­

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah the rope protector was a bit fun... trying not to scratch it too bad from the hammer bouncing. It took quite a bit more effort than the videos showed. I put a lot of force behind it. One of the rivets went in easily... the other 3 just wouldn't seat until after about 60-80 powerful hits. :rock:

Love the bull bar... that may be my next move. What vendor did you use for it? I'm not sure about getting lights on the bullbar though... I think I have too many at this point! šŸ˜­
Ha, ha, I had this huge long thick Punch I can even use for Control Arm lining up, and my big copper hammer, and I was swinging with almost everything I had and still stay accurate. After the first one, I was off and running, but, I did put a small chip in my new black powder coating. ugh...

The bull bar is a small warn grill guard for the OEM bumper. I also like it because it locks up the hooks on the OEM bumper and makes using soft shackles easier - ie. they will not come off. Soft shackles is all I want to use on this bumper anyway.

Your lights are cool. I am a light guy from way back... 2 more on the grill guard or bumper makes a dozen ! gotta go for it !

Last edited:

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Just a side note. What kind of drop did you guys see with the winch? I will be adding a 10s and rubi steel bumper in the next month or so. Curious if I should step up to a 2ā€ or 2.5ā€ up front. Currently teraflex 1.5ā€ front .75ā€ rear.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just a side note. What kind of drop did you guys see with the winch? I will be adding a 10s and rubi steel bumper in the next month or so. Curious if I should step up to a 2ā€ or 2.5ā€ up front. Currently teraflex 1.5ā€ front .75ā€ rear.
On my stock Rubicon (before lift and tires), it maybe dropped 1/2 inch or so. I did not measure, but, I could tell it dropped. I could also tell that the front end got heavier when driving.... -- and not in a good way. The stock Rubicon front springs are soft and the shocks do not handle the extra weight that well - ie. a lot more bump stop bottoming.. The Clayton 3.5" Overland Plus kit plus Falcon SP2 3.3 Fast Adjust shocks fixed it. Now, I cannot even tell it is on the front.
Sponsored