Warn Winch Thoughts

EPTJ

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE Red 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 1999 Jeep Wrangler, 1976 F100
I have reviewed a lot of the JL forum as well as this one regarding winches, but could not find what I was looking for. What I am pondering is not buying new, but rather reusing an existing winch I already own. With thoughts of Gladiators running thru my head ever since the LA show, I took and rebuilt 2 of the 3 winches that I have in the weight range that should work with the Gladiator (Rubicon w/ steel bumper specifically). The question is, if you were in my shoes, which winch would you chose of the 3 I have (all work great):

#1 - Warn x8000i - synthetic line, rebuilt with a new Warn motor (was dunked at some point by the previous owner)
#2 - Warn M12000 - synthetic line, was used on a utility vehicle of some kind, looked brand new inside when rebuilt
#3 - Warn 8274 - currently on my Wrangler, synthetic line, not rebuilt but looks / works great

I won't off road that much with the Gladiator, getting pulled from a mud hole is not what I would call fun, but it could see use in the winter with freeing stuck cars (maybe me too) from the ditch, pulling large rolling items onto trailers, or helping to remove trees from the property.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
EPTJ

EPTJ

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. I think I still would be OK at 1.5x the weight since I don't plan to be stuck in a situation where I'm frame deep in mud with the wheels spinning in the air. And I have a snatch block if the going does get tough.

Regarding the M12000, I have not heard of anyone fitting a 12k Warn winch on a factory bumper, and I am assuming that there would be a lot of clearancing needed to fit. Has anyone tried this winch on a JL factory bumper?

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
I have always loved the 8274. I have seen that winch pull all fours of a CJ7 off the ground a couple of feet. That winch is herd to kill kinda like Steven Segal. Do you have plans to sell any of the winches you don't use?

Sponsored

BeepBeepIAmAJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Hard Rock Bright White and soon™ 2020 Gladiator LE Bright White
Thanks for the reply. I think I still would be OK at 1.5x the weight since I don't plan to be stuck in a situation where I'm frame deep in mud with the wheels spinning in the air. And I have a snatch block if the going does get tough.

Regarding the M12000, I have not heard of anyone fitting a 12k Warn winch on a factory bumper, and I am assuming that there would be a lot of clearancing needed to fit. Has anyone tried this winch on a JL factory bumper?
I have a warn zeon platinum 12 on my JK that I will be swapping onto my JL. The stock bumper did fine (though you do need a mounting plate and to cut the vacuum pump mounting bracket to fit a full winch in the stock steel bumper and then relocate the pump which the mountaming plate i have had a new bracket it attached to it). I used that to pull myself out of mud about a foot deep (came all the way up to my door), winch out people stuck in ditches during winter, and pulling up trees and large bushes on my property. I have the steel cable and if you let the cable wrap on the same side too many times, yes it will rub against the maintaining plate, but all it did for me was take off the paint on the mounting plate. I was still able to back the line out and rewind the winch line properly.

OP
OP
EPTJ

EPTJ

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Plan A will be the 12k, and if there is too much cutting for clearance, I may do the x8000i as Plan B (I would like to transfer the 8274 but I think that would be overkill). At this point, I plan to keep them all, as I want to put one on a multimount and put it on my truck (or on the rear hitch of the Gladiator) as needed.

I am not too far from JCR, I may pop in there and see what they recommend since I will be getting a winch plate from them anyways.

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
I am not too far from JCR, I may pop in there and see what they recommend since I will be getting a winch plate from them anyways.
Definitely do that! That's a great idea with the multi-mount plate for the hitch of your Gladiator.

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
So, upon further research looks like if you want to install a Warn winch on the factory steel bumper for the LE (based on what is available for JL), we are going to need this winch plate mounting kit - https://www.quadratec.com/p/warn/winch-mount-plate-jeep-wrangler-jl-factory-steel-bumper

Any of you experts please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am about to order the Winch and looks like I have to order this mounting kit as well.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Winch capable still means you need to order the carrier plate for the winch. Jeep offers two options, the center and offset which I assume has to do with your winch design and where your fairlead or hawse goes relative to the overall width.

I'm a sucker for suffering and am thinking to recycle a hydraulic Mile Marker HI10500 I have kicking round which is relatively tiny but long compared to an electric of the same capacity. I'm just unsure if it will actually fit between the rails.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely do that! That's a great idea with the multi-mount plate for the hitch of your Gladiator.
I've a Warn Zeon 10-S on our JLR, haven't used it yet, but Harbor Freight had a sale this weekend and picked up a Bad Land 12000 LBS for $289.00. $289!

Since I use a winch cover only you guys will know that I cheaped out on the JT! Plan to move the control box under the hood so prying eyes really won't know either. The wireless controller for $30.00 is a plus!

I do plan to put a Factor55 shackle mount on it so I can look the part. I know, to the purists on the forum, its kinda like putting a sock in your pants but I don't plan on getting stuck. That's what our JLR is for!