Sponsored

Warning: Center Bezel Trim Is Fragile

Scenario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The first time you remove the upper center console to install something like the Auxiliary Switch Bank, you will very likely break the rightmost tab on its bezel trim like I did.

That’s because it’s not a white trim clip like the others. It’s a black tab that’s molded into the bezel and it looks almost designed to be broken. And it takes quite a bit of force to do that—blind.

I emphasize blind because as usual, the installation instructions never tell you where the clips are or what direction they release.

The result is that when you’re all done installing, the right side of that bezel trim won’t fit flush against the grab bar.

I finally found a replacement part number for that Center Bezel Trim. It’s Mopar 6CB71TX7AE. You can get it shipped for around $40.

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-trim-bezel-6cb71tx7ae
Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The first time you remove the upper center console to install something like the Auxiliary Switch Bank, you will very likely break the rightmost tab on its bezel trim like I did.

That’s because it’s not a white trim clip like the others. It’s a black tab that’s molded into the bezel and it looks almost designed to be broken. And it takes quite a bit of force to do that—blind.

I emphasize blind because as usual, the installation instructions never tell you where the clips are or what direction they release.

The result is that when you’re all done installing, the right side of that bezel trim won’t fit flush against the grab bar.

I finally found a replacement part number for that Center Bezel Trim. It’s Mopar 6CB71TX7AE. You can get it shipped for around $40.

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-trim-bezel-6cb71tx7ae
I pulled mine to install my brake controller, and I keep feeling like it doesn’t seat on the right side properly. I wonder if I did the same thing and should replace mine. Does all of the stuff like the start button and HVAC controls just transfer over?

OP
OP
Scenario

Scenario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I pulled mine to install my brake controller, and I keep feeling like it doesn’t seat on the right side properly. I wonder if I did the same thing and should replace mine. Does all of the stuff like the start button and HVAC controls just transfer over?
You can’t really break it again so you can pop it off to check. It’s a shame because the Fiat fit and finish is so impressive throughout.

The diagram looks like the plastic trim separates from the controls, which explains the low price.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Yep. I did the same!

Also, it seems that the passenger side is the weak side. Driver side popped out without much issue.

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Can one of you guys post a pic that shows where the clips are and how to release them?
I'm honestly not sure how you're supposed to release the piece. I tried the typical use of an interior plastic pry tool. Once you get some air in there you can shine a light and see where the resistance lies. But I don't see how to get it to pop back without breaking it. Like @Scenario said, it's almost as if it is intended to break. I was also moving kind of quick after wrestling my CB installation for some hours when I got to this point and may have just said F it :lipssealed:

Brando0275

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator, 2011 JKU
I used some gorilla glue epoxy and glued it back... no issues. Those plastic retainer clips are freakishly strong.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Thanks. This will be good info for when I get my JT and need to pull that thing off.
For what it’s worth mine is still broken in this picture. I was going to change it out but figured I can’t really tell, so...

836AF122-64B7-4B86-B73A-004F3C0E3C43.jpeg

Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that does not look too bad. I don't know if I'd even notice it if it was not pointed out. Could some Velcro help hold it in better from the inside?

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So my OCD was in overdrive, which caused me to go ahead and order the part and make the repair. I posted some pictures below of the offending part and new one side by side. Unfortunately the clip for mine had disappeared, so even if I wanted to fix it, it still wouldn't have stayed. Replacement is really easy, took a few minutes to swap the start button and controls over, they have a surprising number of screws in them. Nice snug fit again now for the trim piece.

I didn't' take a picture of the removal, but I think the issue is that the part you can get a trim tool behind is at an angle, but the clip goes straight in. I think the pulling t at an angle cause it to twist and break. Best bet would probably be to try and get under one of the straight edges so that you can pull straight out on it.

IMG_5712.JPG
IMG_5713.JPG
IMG_5714.JPG
IMG_5715.JPG

slothead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Overland
Occupation
NASA Consultant - EE
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. I did the same!

Also, it seems that the passenger side is the weak side. Driver side popped out without much issue.
Spazzy, what is that top on your bed?

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Spazzy, what is that top on your bed?
Not 100% clear on what you’re referencing. The tonneau cover on my bed? It’s the OEM Mopar roll up tonneau cover that I spec’d when I ordered the truck. Let me know if you have any questions!

slothead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Overland
Occupation
NASA Consultant - EE
Vehicle Showcase
Not 100% clear on what you’re referencing. The tonneau cover on my bed? It’s the OEM Mopar roll up tonneau cover that I spec’d when I ordered the truck. Let me know if you have any questions!
It doesn’t look like a tonneau cover to me, it looks more like a safari frame, but it doesn’t sound like we are talking the same language. I’m referring to the image in your avatar/photo.
Sponsored