Sponsored

Warning lights coming on at random. WTF?

quikdime

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator sport
This is a constant intemittent problem with my 2021 jeep gladiator. I brought it to the dealer 3 separate times for the same issue since new 2021. The abs, electronic stability control, service 4 wheel drive and cruise control unavailable lights come on at random. They have not been able to fix the problem with the dash lights coming at random. They did replace a wheel speed sensor. After waiting 5 months for the sensor to arrive at the service department. The new sensor did nothing! Brought in to the dealer again. The service person said since they can’t duplicate the problem, come pick up your gladiator.
When I picked up the gladiator, I asked to speak with the service manager about my gladiator. I asked him, why does this keep happening? He said it’s because I have 37 inch diameter tires on the vehicle. That sounds ridiculous to me. Just because of gladiator has 37 inch tires, the lights should come on the dash? He asked if my gladiator has a tire programmer/software? I didn’t know what that was. He said that because I have 37 inch tires on the vehicle it’s throwing off all of the computers off. And that’s why the lights on the dash are coming on. He also said that it’s not warranty issue since the dash light issue couldn’t be duplicated by the service department. Any advice? Anyone having the same issue? If so, what’s the fix? Thanks
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
14.3-14.6 while driving
That's system voltage, not battery voltage.

You'll want to test each battery individually at rest to see their voltages. I would recommend letting the truck sit off overnight, then separating and testing the main and aux batteries in the morning. That way you'll see their true health.

Also, I would look more into this:
He asked if my gladiator has a tire programmer/software? I didn’t know what that was.
If you put on bigger tires and never compensated for it, strange things can happen. Even if that's not the root cause of your light issues, you'll want to get that done anyway.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
He said that because I have 37 inch tires on the vehicle it’s throwing off all of the computers off. And that’s why the lights on the dash are coming on. He also said that it’s not warranty issue since the dash light issue couldn’t be duplicated by the service department.
Your service advisor is an idiot.

I still think you are dealing with either a FAD connector or wheel speed sensor issue and/or wiring to those systems.

Your problem is solvable but I think it is going to take a tech monitoring wheel speed sensor data and looking for drop outs of signal data and checking wiring for chaffing. I would also check the connector going to the FAD for corrosion and reseat it.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...nd-traction-control-lights-all-at-once.54553/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rvice-4wd-lights-after-hitting-pothole.85669/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-stability-control-multi-errors-solved.68886/

HardDriveMB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2006 TJ
Occupation
DBA
I agree with both comments... get it calibrated to eliminate that noise. That said, some of the symptoms you state sound similar to my '21 when the starter battery was dying back in August. Luckily it's a cheap fix relatively (like around $120?) for the starter battery and that was at the dealership installed.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Occupation
Land Tours Manager, Jeep Tour Guide
All good comments. I assume you have added some form of suspension modifications in order to run the 37s, and that you have used something like a Tazer or used JScan to reset your system's to accommodate the larger diameter tires. ABS/traction control issues can come up if the axles aren’t centered properly under the vehicle, or if the basic alignment is out of square. Before digging deeper just make sure you have a properly centered & aligned chassis and the system see the larger tires.

OP
OP

quikdime

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator sport
It’s a sport S with a 2 inch leveling kit, rubicon shocks and 37’s. What’s a Tazer or a JScan? What are those used for? Thanks

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
The abs, electronic stability control, service 4 wheel drive and cruise control unavailable lights come on at random.
All of these can be caused by not changing your tire diameter in the ECU. Some lifts like AEV come with tool to do this. Otherwise you can use a Tazer or other tool as folks have stated. You really need to make sure the tires size is properly represented. If you don’t know, then you need to check this with some tool. The dealership is correct that this isn’t a warranty issue if you’re running 37s and dont have the proper tire size represented in the ECU/gateway.

If you get a Tazer it will show you if the diameter was changed. Mine showed the AEV-changed values. I’ve never set my diameter with the Tazer. I will tell you Tazers are flaky. I’ve experienced a number of gremlins with mine. It’s a good idea to keep them updated and unmarry, redo them occasionally. I still recommend a Tazer over the other options including the AEV tool.
Sponsored