Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
To not mess with the thread on people talking of troubles, I'll start this one - only for those who have had the TSB process performed and had the STEERING GEAR replaced.
AFTER the shop replaced your steering gear according to the TSB -

Was your STEERING WHEEL off-center? When going straight down a FLAT, not crowned road, with little to no wind, was the steering wheel not centered?
IF it was NOT centered when you got it back, which direction was it?
And - how far off (imagine a protractor and figure in degrees) Keep in mind it sounds small but 5 degrees is actually a LOT.

I think I may see a pattern, I could be wrong of course, but I'm curious as heck now......

Was your system LOW in fluid?

Jeep Gladiator Was your wheel off-center AFTER steering gear replacement ProtractorMB2
Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
No. They did a front end and a Steering wheel alignment. Dead on center. Fluid on full after about 600 miles.

Last edited:

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
Mine is straight but I haven’t checked my steering fluid levels. However, I do hear a faint sound that wasn’t there before when putting a bit of tension on the steering wheel. I’m sure it’ll be steering fluid related. Air perhaps?

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
At first I thought it was, but it was just the shitty PA roads. It's straight on nice roads.

VA Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubi 06 LJ Rubi
Was off 5 to 10 degrees to the left fluid is just above the low mark.

Sponsored

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Nope. My wheel was tilted about five degrees to left. Fluid level dry, wierd steering had to go back to dealer

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Steering wheel was straight. Fluid level a little over full when cold at last check, 5 days after the gear was replaced.

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Just had mine done today, steering off a little towards passenger side and fluid a little low. I am going to pick up some fluid tomorrow and I will adjust the drag link tomorrow. I wonder what causes this...

Reactions: Mac

jingle

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Little late here....just got mine done (thanks for the heads up @ShadowsPapa). Overall driving seems much better but steering wheel is about 5* to the left (drivers side). Is this something that's easily adjustable at home? Kinda tired of taking it in to the shop. Been there 4 times now.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Little late here....just got mine done (thanks for the heads up @ShadowsPapa). Overall driving seems much better but steering wheel is about 5* to the left (drivers side). Is this something that's easily adjustable at home? Kinda tired of taking it in to the shop. Been there 4 times now.
Mine was off a bit - and yes, it takes minutes to adjust it. You don't even need a jack or stands. Can be done laying on your back under the front of the truck - not even clear under it.
I can't recall the exact size, but a couple of wrenches to loosen a clamp, then turn a knurled "knob" on the drag link. That's the long bar that goes from the pitman arm (which is on the bottom of the steering gear) over to the right wheel steering knuckle. Don't mess with the tie rod - that's the longer bar that goes from the left wheel steering knuckle clear over to the right side.
I'm in my shop now so don't have access to the pics in the house of my own drag link. I took some close-up shots and they're on my phone in the house.

Be sure when you are done that you tighten that clamp up good as there's a lot of force on that drag link. And if you mess up or don't go far enough or go too far, loosen it back up and try again. As long as you have metric wrenches you can do this. I had to carefully use a pair of channel lock pliers to get that knurled piece to turn on mine as it was really tight even after loosening the clamp - I wrapped it in a rag so I'd not mess up the knurling as that would bother me as much as the wheel being off-center LOL

Sponsored

jingle

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
I was hoping it could be a home-fix. I too don't like to scratch up the bolts and clamps so I'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

jingle

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Found this video on how to DIY the adjustment if anyone's interested:

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
My steering wheel was centered. It was low on fluid. It looked low in the reservoir, but it only took a tiny amount from that tiny bottle to top it off.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My steering wheel was centered. It was low on fluid. It looked low in the reservoir, but it only took a tiny amount from that tiny bottle to top it off.
Mine was off a bit the first time, was ok the second time.
Second time the fluid was low after a couple of days - (that stuff is expensive) so I went back to the dealer while I was going to Fleet Farm anyway, they are walking distance apart.
They knew I had just been in with my truck and rushed over to me - I said "it's a bit low on fluid and I just need to get some fluid"- the service writer asked if I had my truck with me - yup - then pull it around.
He walked into the parts department, grabbed a bottle of EHPS fluid, brought it up to the full mark, handed me the rest of the bottle and asked if there was anything else they could do for me.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Mine was off a bit the first time, was ok the second time.
Second time the fluid was low after a couple of days - (that stuff is expensive) so I went back to the dealer while I was going to Fleet Farm anyway, they are walking distance apart.
They knew I had just been in with my truck and rushed over to me - I said "it's a bit low on fluid and I just need to get some fluid"- the service writer asked if I had my truck with me - yup - then pull it around.
He walked into the parts department, grabbed a bottle of EHPS fluid, brought it up to the full mark, handed me the rest of the bottle and asked if there was anything else they could do for me.
Yeah, they gave me a bottle also.
Sponsored