Water fording newbie

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet Silver Gladiator Rubicon
So finally got to take the JT on some small dirt roads over the weekend. Was going to try crossing a small river branch that was about 12- 14" deep back in August.
Was very calm back then and could easily walk into. Saw some guy on a 4 runnings go thru it now issues.

Fast forward 4 weeks and with the amount of rain we got in the last few days the water level was significantly higher. I can't be completely sure how deep it was pretty muddy but the part that scared me a bit was the current that was moving a bit more than before.

If I had to guess based on the before and after pictures that I had taken (the water went up to the bottom of the yellow pole where the kids are standing --- red mark) the water probably would be closer to 2ft at this point. There was a little drop right after the "road" that was made of of rocks so the water was rushing down a little further.
The main thing is that the flow wasn't small so I didn't venture too far in (put the front tire then backed out).

Jeep Gladiator Water fording newbie InkedIMG_20210822_110244_LI

At this stage I'm about where the water line is standing on the first picture.

Jeep Gladiator Water fording newbie IMG_20210926_170506

The wife and dog are not impressed!

Jeep Gladiator Water fording newbie IMG_20210926_170514
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah we have a river crossing identical to that. I drive around in it all the time. Technically these are rated 30 inches but my personal rule is below the door sill only. I don't want to risk having to remove my carpet and hose it off. Lol.

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
If you can keep a small bow wave in front of you while crossing, it'll typically lower the water level behind it. So while stationary the water comes above the door sill, moving will make it drop to or below it. It took me a few tries to get the pace right but it works.

OP
OP
samw5

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right. I mean at this point I had the rockrails in the water which is fine. I wasn't as concerned about the depth (maybe a little) than the current...
Looked like it was moving pretty good and well didn't want to end up downstream ;)

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Transfer case vent is the lowest. 6' of 5/16" hose and you can run it up to the top of the engine, right next to the trans vent for A/T.
Fast flowing water is daunting.

OP
OP
samw5

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was under the impression these were either sealed or 1 way only... isn't that true?

Sponsored

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I’ll never get the allure Water crossings seem to have for some people. Its one thing to cross over a bit of shallow water out of necessity. But the deep water fords that you see so many people attempting leave me scratching my head…

OP
OP
samw5

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really... Was just trying to get to a good fishing spot and take some glamour shots.... Definitely wouldn't have done it in more than a foot of water.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
As my friend would say "gun it and prey", but hey he has gone through about four 4x4's with that motto...I on the other hand play it safe, I would not have attempted that, especially with the current, unless you have a bit of extra weight in the back end, you would be surprised at how boyent the back end of a truck is, especially with the spare tire under the bed, lol

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I’ll never get the allure Water crossings seem to have for some people. Its one thing to cross over a bit of shallow water out of necessity. But the deep water fords that you see so many people attempting leave me scratching my head…
Kids love to play in water. Seems all it takes for the inner child to bubble to the top is water and a Jeep.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Go in slow maintaining a steady pace. Splashing in is fun until it's not.

This is for still water, for currents it's a matter of risk tolerance.
Sponsored