Water leak above passenger door

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Today is about the 4th time that I've noticed a water leak after a rain storm. It's coming in from the top of the passenger door, close to the hinge side of the door - you can see the rain drops down the window, door handle, side door, etc. Anyone have this issue? I've read here on the site about the rear glass, but nothing about the front area. I've tried to reseat the freedom panels, but that didn't seem to do anything for me. I'm guessing it's running down from the roof gusset and getting past seals...

Any ideas or experience are appreciated!
Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Years ago my HVAC guys couldn't solve a leak problem with a factory rooftop HVAC unit. It was a hole that was hard to find. Heavy rain, it came in like dam busters. Found it using a hose and gently washing the unit starting from the bottom. Has to be very low flow. Easier in a Jeep. Sit inside and watch while someone outside does it.

My rain leak in the JL happens when the jeep is parked. Comes from the rain gutter. Near the front end of the roll-up window.

jeepsterdad

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '71 Commando, '10 Patriot, '15 CX-9
I had a leak on the same door. It was a few drops during heavy rain hitting the door panel between the handle and glass. The dealer had someone perform a water test and they determined some weather stripping was not aligned properly. Seems to have taken care of it.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
I had a leak on the same door. It was a few drops during heavy rain hitting the door panel between the handle and glass. The dealer had someone perform a water test and they determined some weather stripping was not aligned properly. Seems to have taken care of it.
I just noticed the same issue for the first time today. I have never and will never remove my top. It comes in over the black weather stripping on the corner of the body where water drains from the roof. Lands on the door handle just like yours.

I guess I'll get the clutch recall done at the same time...

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
Jeep Gladiator Water leak above passenger door DEBA9944-1125-452A-BB46-A71F9DCABC28

Same thing just happened to me. The Jeep was sitting in an outdoor parking lot all day. I had to pull the floor plug as there was so much water. I’ve seen drips before on the door handle, but assumed it was from opening the door and the usual stream of water pours on me. I have an appointment with the dealer next week and I am going to try to get the steering TSB done at the same time.

Not a great experience on a year old vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
That is NO GOOD! Please let us know if they tell you what the cause/fix is. Good luck...

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I also have an occasional leak over the passenger seat, just in front of the sound bar. Especially noticed when rain is particularly heavy and I make a hard right turn...like, pulling into a parking spot or the like, like it's pooling somewheres and lands on the passenger seat.

NEVER had the hard top off, just the freedom panels.

I saw it in a heavy rain before when I had the Besttop Sun runner on but thought it might have been a slight fitment issue but now, the hard panels are in for the winter and the leak is in the same area. So it's in the hart top itself and not the panel area (seems to me the panels are more water proof than the Besttop).

I'm thinking that there might not be a bolt in the hart top that's not tightened enough? Will check after this latest tropical storm boogies outta here.

Just curious if anyone else has come up with a (potential) fix.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Jeep Gladiator Water leak above passenger door DEBA9944-1125-452A-BB46-A71F9DCABC28

Same thing just happened to me. The Jeep was sitting in an outdoor parking lot all day. I had to pull the floor plug as there was so much water. I’ve seen drips before on the door handle, but assumed it was from opening the door and the usual stream of water pours on me. I have an appointment with the dealer next week and I am going to try to get the steering TSB done at the same time.

Not a great experience on a year old vehicle.
Hello @Bacon
We are terribly sorry to see that this happened! Please send our team a private message with your VIN for additional support throughout your dealer service.

Kathryn
JeepCares
I also have an occasional leak over the passenger seat, just in front of the sound bar. Especially noticed when rain is particularly heavy and I make a hard right turn...like, pulling into a parking spot or the like, like it's pooling somewheres and lands on the passenger seat.

NEVER had the hard top off, just the freedom panels.

I saw it in a heavy rain before when I had the Besttop Sun runner on but thought it might have been a slight fitment issue but now, the hard panels are in for the winter and the leak is in the same area. So it's in the hart top itself and not the panel area (seems to me the panels are more water proof than the Besttop).

I'm thinking that there might not be a bolt in the hart top that's not tightened enough? Will check after this latest tropical storm boogies outta here.

Just curious if anyone else has come up with a (potential) fix.
Hi there @Labswine
We certainly understand the concerns you are having with your Jeep, and we would be happy to assist in resolving this for you. Feel free to reach out to us privately if you choose to have this officially diagnosed in the future by your dealer.

Kathryn
JeepCares

JCLabansky

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeepo Gladiator
I am starting to have the same problem and I just bout my gladiator two weeks ago! yesterday I noticed it after i got a carwash and today it was raining and I was getting drips too.

gecko_rubi

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘81 CJ-5, ‘05 LJ, ‘21 JTRD
Occupation
Architect
Same. Hard rains in SoCal yesterday and finally went out last night to grab something out of the Jeep and noticed my passenger seat and floor were all wet. Anyone have a fix? Jeep is a month old.

Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I had the same passenger side water leak on my 2020 Overland. I had never had the tops off when I discovered it. The passenger side floor was filled with water (weathertech buckets). I tried re-seating the panels several times but it did not help.

You can see below where the water "bubble" just above the door was forming and coming in:

Jeep Gladiator Water leak above passenger door IMG.JPG

I went through Jeep Cares to get an appointment at a dealer (I never used that dealer before) for a water tech to look into it. They said it would take up to 5 days so I had to leave it.

Unfortunately, it was never repaired. Instead my 5,000 mile truck looked like this while on their lot (dash cam view):

Jeep Gladiator Water leak above passenger door under water

Jeep Gladiator Water leak above passenger door IM.JPG

That was in September. So, my truck was totaled due to flooding. Ironic isn't it that it was there for a water leak :headbang:

There's a lot more to the story with this dealer. However, due to legal action I filed in court last week (to get my deductible back), I have to refrain from posting additional information right now.

Animal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Occupation
CMMS Administrator
Has anyone found a fix for this without dealership assistance?

Banned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Occupation
Mariner
Are all your doors adjusted correctly, so when closed all the body lines are flush and aligned? The doors can be adjusted to tighten the seal with the top/body. I would start there, then check top for alignment and tightness, then inspect the top and door seals. In the dark, you could probably use a flashlight to find gaps big enough to cause that much leakage.

Animal

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Occupation
CMMS Administrator
Are all your doors adjusted correctly, so when closed all the body lines are flush and aligned? The doors can be adjusted to tighten the seal with the top/body. I would start there, then check top for alignment and tightness, then inspect the top and door seals. In the dark, you could probably use a flashlight to find gaps big enough to cause that much leakage.
Doors haven't been off since the summer, not our first rain storm here in WA and the leak just seemed to start this past week. I'll pull and adjust the door see if that helps. I took a look at the door seal and couldn't tell where exactly it was entering the cab.

Banned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Occupation
Mariner
Hello @Bacon
We are terribly sorry to see that this happened! Please send our team a private message with your VIN for additional support throughout your dealer service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Hi there @Labswine
We certainly understand the concerns you are having with your Jeep, and we would be happy to assist in resolving this for you. Feel free to reach out to us privately if you choose to have this officially diagnosed in the future by your dealer.

Kathryn
JeepCares
You guys just wait in the truck, we'll figure this out.
Sponsored