Waxing/Protective Layer

1. IndialanticJeeper

First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 JKU
    Liked:
    I remember when an old friend bought a BMW M3 new back in 2002. He put some sort of wax on it. I think he said 9 layers. He explained it built up a protective layer so dirt/etc basically wipes right off. Or you can just spray with a hose to clean the car without needing soap or sponges. It was a timely process but he said he loved it.

Does anyone know what product this might have been?

2. HTownGladiator

HTownGladiator Active Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2020gladiator
    Liked:
    ceramic coating, there are some DIY kits available but the best option for a vehicle is to find a local company that does detailing/ceramic coating as a service. I've gotten a few quotes locally in Houston and they vary in product, number of coats, and quoted lifespan. 5 year coating with 7 coats is around $1500, 7+ "lifetime" coating with 9 coats of product runs right at $2000. The less work the detail shop has to do on paint correction the better so I plan to take the truck straight off the lot and to the coating shop when we finally order.

3. Racer5112

Racer5112 Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    1961 Ford Falcon, 1980 Dodge Colt wagon, 2018 Dodge Journey
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    There is a guy here in Des Moines that I had talked to about this just the other day. I am going to get mine done as well with the ceramic coating. He said he would do the 6yr warranty for $1000 if I took it to him right after getting it home. Otherwise it would be another $200.

-Mike

4. OP
    OP
    IndialanticJeeper

First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 JKU
    Liked:
    Thank you for the info guys! Seems a little pricey. From anyone with experience with and without ceramic coating, do you feel it's really worth it? I am finding varying opinions online.

I may just try the DIY first.....

5. Racer5112

Racer5112 Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    1961 Ford Falcon, 1980 Dodge Colt wagon, 2018 Dodge Journey
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I've been skeptical as well, but seeing the differences in paint alone is worth it to me. It looks amazing. I don't know what color you have, but if there is any metallic or pearl in it, it makes a WORLD of difference!

-Mike

6. WakesurfVT

WakesurfVT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
    Liked:
    Director of Inside Sales
    Watch a video on a true ceramic coating process...there’s no one that can correctly DIY ceramic coating, especially since you cannot purchase quality ceramic coating unless you are professionally trained. Anything you buy off-the-shelf is not professional quality and you will not have true ceramic coating (and...you can possibly cause more/irreversible damage using poor quality products). And ceramic coating over paint that hadn’t been professionally corrected is also going to create sub-par results.