Sponsored

We need to talk about the “Jeep Wave”

As a Gladiator owner, do you want to wave at Wranglers?

• Total voters

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
I saw someone else ask in another thread “do we still wave at wranglers?”

I want to talk about the Jeep Wave in general.

I’ll start by giving some context: I bought my first jeep in 1995 and it was a 1987 Wangler Laredo. Brown, much like the one in the photo.

Back then, you could go three or four days without seeing a single Wrangler. When you did you really did want to wave at that person; they shared something with you that not everyone understood: an absolute love of something uncompromising, uncomfortable, inconvenient, a singularly focused off road machine. It was a brotherhood. It was really cool.

I only had that Jeep for a few years, it was an absolute shit show mechanically; not a smart vehicle to have for a 19-year-old in college.

Fast forward to 2015, and I bought my second wrangler, a 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock. Copper brown of course.

I quickly noticed something: I practically had to keep my “Jeep Wave“ up for my entire trip. I’d see 15 Wanglers on the way to baseball practice. Wranglers had lost their exclusivity, their coolness. I wasn’t too keen on waving to the soccer mom in her jacked up, mean face Wrangler.

Regrettably I sold it a few years later.

All this is to say as soon as Gobi becomes available for 2021, I will order my Gladiator Mojave.

I’m probably not going to be waving at the 30+ Wranglers I’ll be seeing every day.

You can bet your ass I’ll be throwing it up to the Gladiators...Looking forward to that exclusivity again!

Edit/Update

Rereading this I realize I may have put out the wrong impression...

If I get a wave from a Wrangler I will certainly wave back. I won’t not wave...That’s just weird.

Jeep Gladiator We need to talk about the “Jeep Wave” 25075E67-7EAF-4168-9B99-6806DB423090

Jeep Gladiator We need to talk about the “Jeep Wave” 8DD7F681-7462-4D0B-8803-BD2576219374
Sponsored

Last edited:

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Yes, Wranglers and Gladiators wave. Same front end. A Jeep with a bed. Except I noticed the few Gladiators I've waved at haven't waved back. I think it has brought out new Jeep owners who don't know about the wave. I met a white Gladiator turning into a parking lot. I got excited and waved and smiled. The woman driving looked so confused. And didn't wave back or smile. Maybe it was her husband's truck and she didn't understand?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I saw someone else ask in another thread “do we still wave at wranglers?”

I want to talk about the Jeep Wave in general.

I’ll start by giving some context: I bought my first jeep in 1995 and it was a 1987 Wangler Laredo. Brown, much like the one in the photo.

Back then, you could go three or four days without seeing a single Wrangler. When you did you really did want to wave at that person; they shared something with you that not everyone understood: an absolute love of something uncompromising, uncomfortable, inconvenient, a singularly focused off road machine. It was a brotherhood. It was really cool.

I only had that Jeep for a few years, it was an absolute shit show mechanically; not a smart vehicle to have for a 19-year-old in college.

Fast forward to 2015, and I bought my second wrangler, a 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock. Copper brown of course.

I quickly noticed something: I practically had to keep my “Jeep Wave“ up for my entire trip. I’d see 15 Wanglers on the way to baseball practice. Wranglers had lost their exclusivity, their coolness. I wasn’t too keen on waving to the soccer mom in her jacked up, mean face Wrangler.

Regrettably I sold it a few years later.

All this is to say as soon as Gobi becomes available for 2021, I will order my Gladiator Mojave.

I’m probably not going to be waving at the 30+ Wranglers I’ll be seeing every day.

You can bet your ass I’ll be throwing it up to the Gladiators...Looking forward to that exclusivity again!

Jeep Gladiator We need to talk about the “Jeep Wave” 8DD7F681-7462-4D0B-8803-BD2576219374

Wrangler Laredo’s are beautiful. I had a red one. Yes to the Jeep wave.

Sponsored

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I am new to jeep and found out about the Jeep wave early on. I wave to Wranglers and JT's only. A friend of mine just got a white Rubicon JT and had a duck on her bumper.

Bruce

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
In my JK I wave to JK, JL, JT, TJ, YJ, CJ, FC, FJ, Scouts, Travelall, Bronocs, blazers, ramchargers, traildusters, comaches, full size cherokee and all the other full size and the odd full size bronco, K5 & K15, samurais when they appear and even early rav 4. Should you drive a Bronco II, well then I'll shake your hand because... Bronco II. And to date, 1 tuxedo park.

But yeah I wave most of the time, sometimes they wave back and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they wave to me and I'm shifting or steering and can't wave back myself.

You can often times tell who's into jeep as jeep and who's into a fashionable lifestyle accessory.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Heck I wave to all kinds of vehicles. I will say though I have run across a number of wranglers since I got my truck and while I wave to all of them only a few have waved back at me. Could be some weren't paying attention, who knows. I get more waves from other truck owners like Rams, etc. Not the Ford folks though (LOL).

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
In my JK I wave to JK, JL, JT, TJ, YJ, CJ, FC, FJ, Scouts, Travelall, Bronocs, blazers, ramchargers, traildusters, comaches, full size cherokee and all the other full size and the odd full size bronco, K5 & K15, samurais when they appear and even early rav 4. Should you drive a Bronco II, well then I'll shake your hand because... Bronco II. And to date, 1 tuxedo park.

But yeah I wave most of the time, sometimes they wave back and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they wave to me and I'm shifting or steering and can't wave back myself.

You can often times tell who's into jeep as jeep and who's into a fashionable lifestyle accessory.
I had a Bronco II & waived to jeeps... They always waved back too.. I just figured it was because we were always far far from pavement & everyone waved to everyone in the woods.

In my JT I wave to JT's all wranglers & the occasional modded & beat up Cherokee.. Basically the same group that waves at me..

Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Once the JKU/JLU came out the wrangler became a much more practical vehicle for people so there are a ton out there. Generally, I will initiate a wave to any modified jeep, otherwise I wait for them to iNitiate it. I definitely got way more waves in my 95 YJ but that was pretty heavily modified.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It's kind of like the bike wave with the peace sign below the handlebars (used to be a biker, injured and can no longer ride), that is a biker thing, and the Jeep wave is a jeep thing...so yes wave away my friends

Cburd61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I wave. Sometimes they wave back, sometimes they don’t. I’ve even been flipped off a couple of times......don’t know if they thought I was some rich guy who has it for show, or what.....It’s a daily driver. I sold an 88 Bronco, and traded in a Ram Bighorn in on my Gladiator. Combined 2 into 1, and down sized, both in vehicle size, and vehicles in the yard. I’m trying to get it through to my wife about the wave thing. She thinks I’m shooting her a line when I mention it. I’ll also wave to most anyone who waves to me though.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I always try to wave. I get 75% of the waves back. Seems like the larger amount of people that don't wave are in newer Jk or JL Wranglers. Even had a driver of a YJ that hung out the side of their Jeep and wave. :jk: