Sponsored

Weight distribution hitch - do I need this?!?

usc4duke

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350z; 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I just bought a 3900 pound dry weight single axle travel trailer. I have a JT Rubicon, no lift, stock wheels. Do I need a weight distribution hitch to tow? Stupid question - does this WDH go on the JT or the trailer? Appreciate the help in advance!
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
You should use one, and it slips into the receiver hitch on the jeep and has brackets, attachted to the trailer frame , single axle trailers seem to have more need for a WDH.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I have zero experience towing with a JT, but have one on the way and looking into a small single axle travel trailer.

I would think by just numbers alone weight distribution wouldn't be needed, but sway control would be a must.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I just towed a Jeep YJ on a 2500lb U-Haul trailer (the old steel one) total weight was around 5500-6000 lbs.

This is how close the trailer tongue was to the ground. tge Max Tow JT has quite the squat, estimated tongue wt about 5-600 lbs. load leveling hitch would have been much better

79158249-BF9D-4F5B-B869-24911C054DA4.jpeg

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I just towed a Jeep YJ on a 2500lb U-Haul trailer (the old steel one) total weight was around 5500-6000 lbs.

This is how close the trailer tongue was to the ground. tge Max Tow JT has quite the squat, estimated tongue wt about 5-600 lbs. load leveling hitch would have been much better

Jeep Gladiator Weight distribution hitch - do I need this?!? 79158249-BF9D-4F5B-B869-24911C054DA4
That load definitely needed help!

I never would have pulled it with safety chains that close to the ground with the way fires get going around here.......

Sponsored

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
I have a 3000 lb travel trailer. When pulling without the WD hitch, the truck bounced and felt light in the front end. With the WD hitch set properly the stability was noticeably improved.

Measurements taken at each wheel from ground to the curve of the fender flare.

No trailer
Front 38 7/8”
Rear 38 3/4”

trailer attached no WDH
Front 39 1/4”
Rear 37 1/4”

trailer attached with WDH
Front 38 1/4”
Rear 38 1/4”

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
I just bought a 3900 pound dry weight single axle travel trailer. I have a JT Rubicon, no lift, stock wheels. Do I need a weight distribution hitch to tow? Stupid question - does this WDH go on the JT or the trailer? Appreciate the help in advance!
Without a WDH, your back end will squat down. The picture of that max tow sitting so low to the ground is a perfect example. What they didn't show is that the front end was probably raised up quite a lot. The U-Haul car trailer doesn't have the capability to add a WDH.

Yes for that 3900 pound weight with at least 390 pounds (10% minimum) of tongue weight it will help. The purpose of the WDH is to load the towing vehicle, your Gladiator, such that the tongue weight is not just loading the back of the truck with the rear end carrying the entire weight, but also the front axle carrying the load. The bars you see extending back in the picture below help transfer the load on the hitch forward by putting a torque on the hitch itself. You typically attach brackets to the trailer, and use a provided tool to lift the bars into place. The JT doesn't have anything added. The WDH is really what is shown in black below.

Jeep Gladiator Weight distribution hitch - do I need this?!? Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 5.38.37 PM

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
That load definitely needed help!

I never would have pulled it with safety chains that close to the ground with the way fires get going around here.......

That is a little distorted as that is low spot on my detached garage driveway. The trailer nose is at low spot with Jeep and trailer higher up opposite slopes.

The Jeep handled fine on 166 mile trip, no sway and nothing touched the ground. Definitely wished U-Haul allowed me to use a load leveling hitch. I also wished they let me take the newer lighter weight aluminum trailer (it was already reserved).

Surprisingly the front end of the JT was not light and I had no issues with light steering. The JT handles very well.

Here is level ground night picture. Still needs the load leveling hitch.

616948BE-4960-4787-9096-32A6366F8FD6.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
You can get a WDH with sway control support. Typically sway control isn't an issue if you have sufficient tongue weight, but with a good WDH, you can have reduced tongue weight yet still have great sway control.

One example is here: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Reese/RP66072.html

Edit:
With the above, you still need this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/RP54970.html

One thing to note, when towing with a WDH w/sway control, you will hear some creaking coming from the hitch area when you are turning / changing angles between the truck and trailer. That is completely normal.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
One thing I’ve noticed about my Max Tow suspension, the shocks at 30,000 miles seem ready for a change. The rear shocks especially. Anyone else experiencing this?

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload

is going to end up being around 4800 by the time you get stuff in it. Almost 5k on a single axel would be downright scary with without a WDH. Single axels are FAR more likely to sway than tandem. Spend at least $500 on the WDH.

The WDH does have to do with making the weight more even between each axel, but more importantly it weights the front axel so your steering isn’t compromised. I have seen a video where a trailer started to bounce and the truck front tires started to lift and loose steering traction. That’s scary!

In regards to sway control, buying decent WDH will have it built in. Don’t get the add on sway bar BS. Stray from the chain WDH, in general the bar friction type almost eliminate sway and be better.

Something that also has not been noted you absolutely NEED a break controller.

Lastly, be conscious of payload. What do you plan on carrying in the bed and cab? How many people?

Your TT will likely have a hitch weight of at least 600, WDH... 125... driver 200... that’s not much left over for passengers and gear. And with the front storage of the TT full hitch weight can be up to 15% sometimes more...

Rubicon’s are limited with payload. What model rubi? Manual or auto? Tow package ?

OP
OP
usc4duke

usc4duke

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350z; 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
is going to end up being around 4800 by the time you get stuff in it. Almost 5k on a single axel would be downright scary with without a WDH. Single axels are FAR more likely to sway than tandem. Spend at least $500 on the WDH.

The WDH does have to do with making the weight more even between each axel, but more importantly it weights the front axel so your steering isn’t compromised. I have seen a video where a trailer started to bounce and the truck front tires started to lift and loose steering traction. That’s scary!

In regards to sway control, buying decent WDH will have it built in. Don’t get the add on sway bar BS. Stray from the chain WDH, in general the bar friction type almost eliminate sway and be better.

Something that also has not been noted you absolutely NEED a break controller.

Lastly, be conscious of payload. What do you plan on carrying in the bed and cab? How many people?

Your TT will likely have a hitch weight of at least 600, WDH... 125... driver 200... that’s not much left over for passengers and gear. And with the front storage of the TT full hitch weight can be up to 15% sometimes more...

Rubicon’s are limited with payload. What model rubi? Manual or auto? Tow package ?
Most times, the payload will only be my wife and dog. I do have the automatic and tow package. Soft top as well. No major mods to add weight. The payload should only be typical camping supplies, maybe the (non electric) bikes from time to time.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Most times, the payload will only be my wife and dog. I do have the automatic and tow package. Soft top as well. No major mods to add weight. The payload should only be typical camping supplies, maybe the (non electric) bikes from time to time.
so your payload should be around 1160

hitch weight 500-600(it’s usually always a little over 10% when things are packed up

WDH 125

two adults and dog at least 400

with your hitch weight being at only 500, that leaves you with 100 lbs payload.... not including any extras in the cab or bed.

I have a max tow and 6k dry trailer. When we camp we drive two cars... me in the gladiator and the dogs, kids and wife in the SUV. If they would have been in the gladiator I would have been over...

point being I have a max tow with payload close to 1600, and I really had to be creative with capacities and how I was doing things. Some people think it’s ridiculous we take two cars, but I tell you what, me driving without dogs, kids, and passenger seat driver, PLUS some driving right behind me is super helpful. Also sometimes with short 3-4 night trips it’s nice just leaving the gladiator hooked up to the WDH and when we are ready to leave very little to set up with the tow rig. Also when arriving to the campground you can easily scout sites with the other car (if you don’t have an assigned site).
Sponsored