Weight Distribution Hitches

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
For those of you with a distribution hitch - which one are you using? Before I spend a couple hundred on one, I’d like to see what everyone is running and why, pros, and cons.

I’ll be towing a lifted TJ on 35s, on a 16’ flat trailer when I do tow, not sure of exact weight at the moment, but I imagine it’s close to 5000lbs.
Sponsored

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have this one and it works quite well. I've only towed with it three times and haven't had any issues.

MomsSpaghetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Nice, what are you towing with it? Did you buy from e-trailer?
Yeah, we bought it from etrailer. Hauling this. 5000 lbs dry weight. Took it camping this past weekend and would guess it was 5500 - 6000 loaded up. Pulled fine.

2019-09-21 11.55.27.jpg

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Sponsored

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
For those of you with a distribution hitch - which one are you using? Before I spend a couple hundred on one, I’d like to see what everyone is running and why, pros, and cons.

I’ll be towing a lifted TJ on 35s, on a 16’ flat trailer when I do tow, not sure of exact weight at the moment, but I imagine it’s close to 5000lbs.

Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System worth every penny. I tow around 4400 loaded functions great and doesnt have to deal with chains.

jt.jpg

jt2.jpg

OP
OP
Dwosgood

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
Thanks for the suggestions! That Equal-I-Zer has excellent reviews everywhere I’ve seen it. Now I just have to find it for the right price.

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
Model is the E2

AngelArmorNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tundra Crewmax, Indian Springfield Dark Horse
Another plug for the equalizer hitch. I have used it for a couple years on our Grand Design Imagine Bunkhouse and it works very well. I am hoping to transition it over to the JT.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dwosgood

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I ended up getting a Curt 17500. Couldn’t beat local price for it and got the installation for free as well so I didn’t have to mess with it. Haven’t tested it with a load yet but my JT pulls my 16’ Big Tex car hauler trailer much better now - my area has crap roads and I felt it bouncing around much less than before. It’s definitely a beefy unit, too, so hopefully it keeps me safe on my road trip (NC - CA).

421BE81F-601A-48E4-B02E-ED32943CFA74.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up getting a Curt 17500. Couldn’t beat local price for it and got the installation for free as well so I didn’t have to mess with it. Haven’t tested it with a load yet but my JT pulls my 16’ Big Tex car hauler trailer much better now - my area has crap roads and I felt it bouncing around much less than before. It’s definitely a beefy unit, too, so hopefully it keeps me safe on my road trip (NC - CA).

421BE81F-601A-48E4-B02E-ED32943CFA74.jpeg
How heavy is your trailer - empty?
Your BigTex looks to be a lot lighter than my PJ was - it was 5" channels clear to the front. Yours looks like a clean easy to use setup.
My prior trailer, a PJ 18 footer weighed 2350 empty.
I never used a weight distribution hitch with it as it was long enough with the car loaded right there was no problem and with my Silverado, the back dropped minimally.
My new trailer they say WDH is a no-no. Companies that make the aluminum trailers say never use such a hitch.
Will be interesting to see how the JT handles it.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy

I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro on my class 4 F450 and love it. My plan is to just get a smaller head ad use most of the same parts for the Gladiator.

Andrew Coates

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
2167 West Virginia Avenue Albany, NY 12204
Website
www.edcmag.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
worker
I heard Equal-i-zer was a good product and had great reviews but I usually take those lightly until I can experience the product myself. I had sway control before with a 27' trailer and it didn't compare to this. I was driving with complete control and didn't have any worries what so ever. I was still amazed at the control I had with this sway control.

Last edited:

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Ive got a reese a friend sold me that works good. I just cant seem to dial in the weight distro :-/
Sponsored