First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon Diesel, VW Passat gas
Occupation
Yes
In case anyone was wondering I shaved about 86 pounds off my Rubicon by swapping to overland wheels and tires, amp research power steps and the sunrider top. Giving me 1010 on payload now….

JJ
Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Ditch the doors, roof and back seats ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but wheels and tires are unsprung weight.........no impact on payload numbers or ratings.
On a practical side, different tires can impact how a truck handles with the full payload, but going to lighter tires does not increase your payload and heavy tires don't subtract from payload.

Changing to light tires = no change in payload. You can't add back.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Yeah, but wheels and tires are unsprung weight.........no impact on payload numbers or ratings.
On a practical side, different tires can impact how a truck handles with the full payload, but going to lighter tires does not increase your payload and heavy tires don't subtract from payload.

Agreed. Mine actually tows, rides, and handles better with my E load 285/70/18s than it did with my smaller, lighter 255 all seasons.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland

I hate to say it, but he actually lost payload based on his weight calculation.

Rubicon tires are 63 lbs, the Overland all seasons are 37 lbs. That’s a 26 lb difference. That times four is 104 lbs. Therefore, he lost 18 lbs of payload.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to say it, but he actually lost payload based on his weight calculation.

Rubicon tires are 63 lbs, the Overland all seasons are 37 lbs. That’s a 26 lb difference. That times four is 104 lbs. Therefore, he lost 18 lbs of payload.
My wife has a way for me to increase the payload of my truck. There's a lot more salads and fruits in the fridge........ I figure I can increase the payload of my truck by 25 pounds by mid-summer.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Mine actually tows, rides, and handles better with my E load 285/70/18s than it did with my smaller, lighter 255 all seasons.
I wonder if thats a difference between 18s and 17s.
I tow better on my 255s with a 115 load index than i did with my 285s that were E rated

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
My wife has a way for me to increase the payload of my truck. There's a lot more salads and fruits in the fridge........ I figure I can increase the payload of my truck by 25 pounds by mid-summer.
🤣 That’s something that I used to get a kick out of at the local drag strip in Georgia. BIG dudes with the interiors gutted from their cars to save 1/10 second on the 1/4 mile.

I’m a big dude myself, so I’m not hating. I just get a kick out of the chosen solution to save 100 lbs.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I wonder if thats a difference between 18s and 17s.
I tow better on my 255s with a 115 load index than i did with my 285s that were E rated
More stable you mean? You effectively lowered your gear ratio, so that would make a lot of sense. I have Bridgestone Revo 3s so I can’t comment on the Falkens. I had a Rubicon loaner once. The only difference I noticed with them we they are loud and ride like crap in comparison to mine.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
More stable you mean? You effectively lowered your gear ratio, so that would make a lot of sense. I have Bridgestone Revo 3s so I can’t comment on the Falkens. I had a Rubicon loaner once. The only difference I noticed with them we they are loud and ride like crap in comparison to mine.
That’s part of the charm/experience.😁 It’s definitely not going to be for everyone though, lol.

Sponsored

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
🤣 That’s something that I used to get a kick out of at the local drag strip in Georgia. BIG dudes with the interiors gutted from their cars to save 1/10 second on the 1/4 mile.

I’m a big dude myself, so I’m not hating. I just get a kick out of the chosen solution to save 100 lbs.
when carbon frame bicycles first became a thing for many thousands of dollars, a friend who got one was bragging about it to my son. The friend bragged it was 10 pounds lighter than my steel frame bike. My son looked at my friend who was overweight (like me) and asked “ wouldn’t have been cheaper for you to just lose 10 pounds?” 😂

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sport s max tow, so my stock was 245/75. My 255s are really close to that so close to the intended setup from the factory.

by better i mean
-better mpg
-easier acceleration (not as sluggish under load)
-smoother ride over all
-improved turning radius
-quieter

Overall a more pleasant towing experience for sure. My 285 yokohama g015s were a great tire. But these 255 duelers are better.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
That’s part of the charm/experience.😁 It’s definitely not going to be for everyone though, lol.
This is coming from someone who put an LE Rubicon take off suspension and E load A/Ts on his Overland. I guess my Revos are even better tires than I thought. They apparently ride better than I realized. They are light for an E load. I did research everything, but somehow with some luck I got it right. That suspension, those tires, and my Fox steering stabilizer all put together make it a really nice driving Jeep. After the new steering gear… I got the fox stabilizer because of the shit original steering box. That and lowered tire pressure helped some.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I have a sport s max tow, so my stock was 245/75. My 255s are really close to that so close to the intended setup from the factory.

by better i mean
-better mpg
-smoother ride over all
-improved turning radius
-quieter

Overall a more pleasant towing experience for sure. My 285 yokohama g015s were a great tire. But these 255 duelers are better.
How did your turning radius improve? Mine never rub.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland

by better i mean
-better mpg
-smoother ride over all
-improved turning radius
-quieter

Too bad you’re in DE, I sold my take offs for cheap.
Sponsored