First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 jeep Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
I've got a Sport S with manual climate control with a hard top and I'm experiencing a strange behavior. As I drive, it feels as though all the interior air escapes and is replaced with humid outside air. It seems to be coming from the passenger side for well. The AC never stops, but all the sudden the car is warm until the AC recovers.

Has anybody else noticed this?
Sponsored

cspearce2

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Black
Yes I have experienced this. Mainly happens when I have been in the car for around 20-30 minutes. I thought it was because I had the recirc button engaged and it was just bringing in fresh air. But I has happened multiple times. Been very hot in GA so I run the Recirc to keep the AC in max mode???

OP
OP
Jimmoiv

Jimmoiv

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 jeep Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
I live in the FL panhandle, so I understand the heat you're talking about. On a 6 hour road trip today, gives me time to experiment. It seems to happen more in recirc for sure. Especially when passing a big rig, the big wind gust that you get.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've seen a lot of reports of this over the last 18 months with JL/JT. I've never really experienced it, but then again I use the "Auto" feature 99% of the time.

Are you in a particular mode when this occurs? Floor vents, dash vents, etc?

OP
OP
Jimmoiv

Jimmoiv

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 jeep Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
Well here is the source of the problem. And huge shout-out to the wifey for driving while I disassemble the Jeep. All these pics are taken behind the glove box.
When the AC is run in recirc mode, there is a baffle that moves in order to recirculate the air. Normally that is in the full up position as in the first picture. On fresh air mode, the baffle is all the way down to get air from the outside. See second picture. But for some reason, the baffle shifts to half open, as in the third picture, sometimes while in recirc mode. I'm assuming this is on purpose, in order to keep the inside air from getting stale

IMG_20190903_130454156.jpg

IMG_20190903_131749534.jpg

IMG_20190903_131734137.jpg

Sponsored

cspearce2

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Black
That is kind of what I thought was happening. I drive with it in Auto but with the Recirc Mode on. Great sleuthing!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have the AC set to 70 degrees, with the recirc always on, and have not noticed this. I do turn the recirc off and wait for the flap to open when I park it at the end of the day. The only time I have any issues is when I forget to disable the ESS.

OP
OP
Jimmoiv

Jimmoiv

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 jeep Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
It is really only noticable to me at higher speeds. When the force of the air causes more air to come into the cab. @JeepCares is this the intended functionality of this damper/baffle?

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed this too and also in my 2016 JGC. My 2014 JGC doesn't behave like this. I want it blasting cold,dry AC all the time, but the Jeep says no :angry:.

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
On my 2015 JK When that flap is up and the filter is visible, the air conditioning is on recirculate. When the flap is down, the air conditioning brings in outside air.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
This was discussed and the reason articulated on the JL forum, but I can't remember what the determination was. The short story was that it is "normal".

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
I've got a Sport S with manual climate control with a hard top and I'm experiencing a strange behavior. As I drive, it feels as though all the interior air escapes and is replaced with humid outside air. It seems to be coming from the passenger side for well. The AC never stops, but all the sudden the car is warm until the AC recovers.

Has anybody else noticed this?
I THINK i'm seeing the same thing...though you put it way more eloquently than I was going to. For me, it seems i only get "cold" air if i have it set on "LO"....other than that, even at 60, the air is warm, and yes, i'd say humid. Doesn't appear to matter if I am in circulation mode or not. I tried it on the way to work today and didn't seem to matter if the air con was on or not. At first I chalked it up to living in Alaska and the ambient air was under 60 so it felt warm...but am now convinced it IS warm. Air con is working as when it is on "LO" it is very cold. FRUSTRATING....and no easy way to get it to the dealer.

TheVeeDub's

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Biomedical
Not to hijack your thread,, but along with this is the stench of mold from the AC. Only 4k miles and geez. I even turn it to hot at the end of the drives to dry off the AC coil before turning off the car.

My next biggest annoyance is that the AC fan turns off whenever a text message comes in.

So annoying, anyone have an idea? Read thru the manual, can't seem to find any settings that would change this.

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone find a permanent fix for this?
my AC started barely blowing any amount of air, like it’s stuck on level 1 after a road trip in max ac mode.
Sponsored