fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I know - the whole thing including the post title is weird. (Long post alert)

I love the JT as I've said countless times here on the forum, but I've been having this noise when I go over certain types of bumps, and it's only when it's cold outside. Never happens in the summer. It has been doing this since I bought it in 2020, and I've posted about it before. Jeep Cares even said to let them know if they could help, but really what could they do? The problem was that when it warmed up over freezing outside the problem went away, so even if I left it at the dealership overnight if they didn't drive it before it warmed up - and drive it over the right kind of bump - they couldn't replicate the sound. When it was below 30 it sounded like a loud crunching noise when traveling at low speed over bumps like where a driveway entrance or road intersection would dip down and then back up. Speed bumps and potholes wouldn't do it. Fast forward to today.

The JT has been doing the noise more frequently and at warmer temps this winter. I left it at the dealer overnight two days ago for them to drive the next morning. I left instructions on where to drive it for the right bumps, which they didn't get to the technician. Like usual they said they couldn't replicate it, but offered that if I could come by this morning when they open then the technican could ride with me and I could show him the noise.

This morning that's what I did. It was quite warm at around 45 degrees but it did briefly make the noise on a couple of bumps to where he could hear it. He said it might be rubber bushings that needed to be lubricated, or that sometimes salt or dirt can get into the parts causing noise. He said he would put it on the lift and check those items as well as the shocks to see if they were leaking. Fair enough.

This afternoon I went to pick it up and see what they found out. They told me he had lubed it and that should take care of it. I mentioned that I doubt that will fix it but I appreciate their effort. They didn't bill me anything afterall, and they did spend a fair amount of time with no real answers. Nothing weird there, really. But.. It seemed to drive differently on the way home. I can't put it into words but it seemed more responsive and smooth with every turn and dip. I acknowledge that it could just be my imagination but I wasn't expecting it. That said, I had been driving an old TJ while it was in the shop and the JT was better by comparison, but this wasn't the same. It even felt different from when I was in the JT driving with the tech this morning. What do you think he really did? Did lubing some rubber bushings make a difference in driving feel? and do you think that could have fixed this annoying cold temp crunching noise? Boy I sure hope so. I'll keep you posted if we get some more below freezing temps before spring.
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
The dealership should be able to tell you exactly what they did. There is no lubrication required on the rubber suspension bushings, or anywhere else on the suspension. Actually, using some types of lubricants on the rubber bushings can prematurely degrade the rubber.

I would ask the dealer to provide details on what they did, including the lubricant they used.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Mine does this too. Only first thing in the morning when it's below freezing. Would like to know what they lubed.

Last edited:

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I had a different car in which this happened all the time under the same circumstances.
it was the rubber bushings on the swaybar.
Most likely the same thing on the JT

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I have found that I have a squeak noise that comes and goes In the rear of my JTR. I found it was the upper spring isolators.

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, as I figured - the lube didn't fix it. This morning the crunch happened at the usual spots. It wasn't too loud or long because it's not very cold, but it was there none the less. Now I've got to decide whether I'm going to go back to them and go through all of that or just live with it until next winter as morning temps seem to be on the rise. I'm sure they're getting tired of it as well as I am anyway, and I'm not sure if they're ever going to figure it out. I'll be over my factory warranty well before next winter but I do have the Mopar extended. I wish maybe @JeepCares could see in this thread and others that this is a thing - and get the powers that be to notice and see what could be causing it.

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have found that I have a squeak noise that comes and goes In the rear of my JTR. I found it was the upper spring isolators.
I may call and ask if they checked that.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Well, as I figured - the lube didn't fix it. This morning the crunch happened at the usual spots. It wasn't too loud or long because it's not very cold, but it was there none the less. Now I've got to decide whether I'm going to go back to them and go through all of that or just live with it until next winter as morning temps seem to be on the rise. I'm sure they're getting tired of it as well as I am anyway, and I'm not sure if they're ever going to figure it out. I'll be over my factory warranty well before next winter but I do have the Mopar extended. I wish maybe @JeepCares could see in this thread and others that this is a thing - and get the powers that be to notice and see what could be causing it.
Thanks for tagging us, fun2drum. If you plan to revisit your dealer for additional diagnosis or need to discuss further, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for tagging us, fun2drum. If you plan to revisit your dealer for additional diagnosis or need to discuss further, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thanks Kate.
I think I will contact them to let them know the crunch sound is still there. Weā€™d have to schedule a revisit for a cold morning but thereā€™s a warming trend forecast for the next week or so. Iā€™ll keep you posted by pm.

Sponsored

Jasvan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
My 2020 Mojave does this and itā€™s gotten worse. Itā€™s mainly the left side and I notice most at slow speed pulling out of driveway. Sounds like squeaky springs. Iā€™m taking to dealer tomorrow for the axle sensor replacement and will have them check it out. Mine isnā€™t hard to replicate as itā€™s gotten worse. I used to think it only happened during cold weather as well but seems to be more constant. I even hear it doing turns at higher speeds. Fox shocks maybe bad?

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
My 2020 Mojave does this and itā€™s gotten worse. Itā€™s mainly the left side and I notice most at slow speed pulling out of driveway. Sounds like squeaky springs. Iā€™m taking to dealer tomorrow for the axle sensor replacement and will have them check it out. Mine isnā€™t hard to replicate as itā€™s gotten worse. I used to think it only happened during cold weather as well but seems to be more constant. I even hear it doing turns at higher speeds. Fox shocks maybe bad?
Hi, Jasvan. If you need some support while at the dealer or would like to discuss further, we are in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You mention "the axle sensor replacement". What is that? is it a TSB??

NIT4FUN

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HA Gladiator
I have had the same squeaking noise coming from the rear of my HA gladdy when itā€™s cold And I drive over bumps or any kind. when it gets warm the noise goes away. I took it to the dealer and they determined it was the rear control arm that was making the noise. They replaced it and the noise went away for a day then the temp dropped and the squeak came back. its more annoying than anything else. Now trying to figure out if i take it back to the dealer or just live with it for now knowing warmer temps are coming and wait until next winter to take it in.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Iā€™ve got the 21 JTR and had that too only on one dip in the road Iā€™d hear it. I would even slow down just a bit so I wouldnā€™t hear it. I heard it since day one back in February of 21.

I never went in to address it but figured it would eventually get fixed with shocks or coil upgrades one day. One of the early things I did was to roll around underneath on the creeper and retorque all the suspension nuts and bolts. Found every single one to be loose from the factory. I havenā€™t upgraded the shocks yet but did install the Air Lift 1000 coil bags and that eliminated the noise and cut the bouncy ride a lot.

If I do end up hearing it after awhile, I know to put pump up the air bags a pound or 2 and the noise stops.
Sponsored