Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
So not sure what happened, well I know what happened but can't figure how it happened. This morning it was pouring down rain and as I was driving up I-85 my driver side windshield wiper decided to start going crazy and stop goin in sync with the passenger side one. Eventually it stopped working and got stuck in the passenger side wiper which caused the blade on the driver side one to rip. I finally got to a exit and was able to pull over and see what happened.

Apparently the nut came loose one the driver side and cause it to act up. I tightened the bolt and all is good after I went and bought two more blades, figured I'd go ahead and replace both sides, $42. My question is how would this happen? Never had it happen on any other vehicle before. Can't seem to figure out how that nut would just come loose. Is there anything special I need to do to help make sure it doesn't happen again.

Also anyone else have something similar happen, I had to side lean it until I could get somewhere safe to stop.
Sponsored

Vincent

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Never heard of that issue happening before. Good thing you were able to fix it tho! Gonna go check mine now…

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Never heard of that issue happening before. Good thing you were able to fix it tho! Gonna go check mine now…
Never had it happen and trying to figure out why. Kinda weird, hopefully someone wasn't messing with it while it was parked somewhere. Not at my house though, I got cameras front and back that kick on as soon as someone steps in the yard.

Might be a good Idea for everyone to check theirs. I'll try to pull the dash cam footage for reference. I thought I saw something weird with how it was acting about 10 or 15 minutes before it failed.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Never had it happen and trying to figure out why. Kinda weird, hopefully someone wasn't messing with it while it was parked somewhere. Not at my house though, I got cameras front and back that kick on as soon as someone steps in the yard.

Might be a good Idea for everyone to check theirs. I'll try to pull the dash cam footage for reference. I thought I saw something weird with how it was acting about 10 or 15 minutes before it failed.
Was there any corrosion on the nut threads?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Have you had a windshield replacement? Glass company may have taken off your wipers and did a crappy job putting them back on.

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
In all seriousness though, the wiper arms are meant to be easily removed, since you need to take them off to fold the windshield down. It's possible I guess for one to loosen somewhere down the line.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Was the little plastic cap still on covering the bolt? If someone was trying to steal it, that cap would certainly be missing.

FYI, if it happens again, or to someone else, there is a ratchet and a socket to fit that nut in the little toolkit that came with the Jeep.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Perhaps loose from the factory?? I’ve heard of weird things coming out of the factory before so this wouldn’t surprise me.

At least you know what the nut person was doing when the coffee break buzzer went off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Have you had a windshield replacement? Glass company may have taken off your wipers and did a crappy job putting them back on.
It's a 2yr old Jeep. It MUST have had a windshield or 4 replaced by now!
Yes 2 times. This may be the issue, I never thought about that. It's been over a year now though since the last one was done. Had 2 replaced in the first 20,000 miles.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a video from the dash cam of it happening.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Happened to my wife’s MDX last year shortly after having the windshield replaced.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I had just left the dealership as well. Don't know why they would of messed with the wipers but I know the dash cam was on while they did the service. I'm gonna take a look tomorrow and see. They may owe me $42
Sponsored