Sponsored

Well I’m out

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1929 Model A RPU, 1930 model A roadster, 1932 Ford 3 window coupe, 1952 HD FL, 1956 Chevy Wagon, 1969 Jeepster Commando, 2018 Dodge Charger Scat Pack,
I ordered my gladiator back in mid June, the deal maker being that the dealership offered me full payoff on my trade in. I gave them a $500 deposit and they placed my order. Well August comes along and I haven’t received any movement on my truck and I get impatient and decide to get one off the lot, dealer says no problem the deposit is good on any vehicle they have. I chose what I want, a better equipped model than I originally ordered and am ready to make the deal. The dealership comes back with a number about 4K less than my payoff, I point it out. Their reply was well we cannot honor a 2 month old payoff quote. I tell them that we had a deal and they stated they would pay off the vehicle. Again I get a yes, but that was 2 months ago. I suggest that they split the difference and reduce the gladiator purchase price by 4K. They come down 2k. We go back and forth. And realize I’m not making any headway and tell them I’m just going to wait for the jeep I ordered because I am not going to go upside down on my current car. They then informed me that they would still need to do a trade in assessment when the gladiator I ordered arrived. That’s when I asked for my $500 back. So, if you’re in Socal, stay away from Orange Coast Jeep

I’m pretty bummed about this. This was going to be my birthday present to myself this year. I guess the silver lining is that I do like my scat pack and get to keep on driving it.
Sponsored

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear. Very shady. I'm sure you'll find the perfect JT someday. Best of luck!

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I ordered my gladiator back in mid June, the deal maker being that the dealership offered me full payoff on my trade in. I gave them a $500 deposit and they placed my order. Well August comes along and I haven’t received any movement on my truck and I get impatient and decide to get one off the lot, dealer says no problem the deposit is good on any vehicle they have. I chose what I want, a better equipped model than I originally ordered and am ready to make the deal. The dealership comes back with a number about 4K less than my payoff, I point it out. Their reply was well we cannot honor a 2 month old payoff quote. I tell them that we had a deal and they stated they would pay off the vehicle. Again I get a yes, but that was 2 months ago. I suggest that they split the difference and reduce the gladiator purchase price by 4K. They come down 2k. We go back and forth. And realize I’m not making any headway and tell them I’m just going to wait for the jeep I ordered because I am not going to go upside down on my current car. They then informed me that they would still need to do a trade in assessment when the gladiator I ordered arrived. That’s when I asked for my $500 back. So, if you’re in Socal, stay away from Orange Coast Jeep

I’m pretty bummed about this. This was going to be my birthday present to myself this year. I guess the silver lining is that I do like my scat pack and get to keep on driving it.
You have a lot of cars in your sidebar there. You'll probably be ok, right? I definitely encourage holding onto stuff long vehicles to pay it off or down significantly... maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Why not just find another one from another dealer? I got stuck in the whole order process, canceled and found one on another dealer’s lot within 4 days!

Was there a guaranteed trade number or payoff outlined in an official contract? Always good to get any type of guarantee added into a contract, otherwise dealers aren’t obligated to give you a certain value. If you’d be upside down on your trade based on a $2k difference, you need to find a better deal or get out of your trade before it depreciates more.

I’m sure the Scat Pack is fun, I had a GC SRT but Lord do I LOVE me my Gladiator! You couldn’t pay me to take the SRT back...my need for speed’s been replaced with cruising for freedom!

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I have no love for dealerships these days. I will point out that this is now the model year ttick-over. Your trade in is now likely considered another year older. Whether they just overlooked this possibility of delivery spanning the model year or just being sleazy, I can’t say. My experience leans toward sleazy statistically but the magic drop in used values this time of year is very real. Just something to keep in mind with any vehicle deal you may work.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
When you order a vehicle and get an estimate on your trade-in, that estimate is almost always tied to Blue Book value unless otherwise stated. Dealers don't have crystal balls. They don't know what your vehicle will be worth in 2-3 months. I have had very good experiences in that regard on my last 2 vehicles. I was given estimates on my trades and told the final amount would be tied to KBB/NADA valuation at the time of the trade. So 2-3 months later when my orders came in, the value on each trade vehicle had gone down about $500. In each case, the dealer honored the original estimate though I did not expect them to do so. At TruWest (New Country) in Cortez, CO., I was given an estimate of $24K-$24.5K for my 2016 Canyon (with a clean title) in early May and specifically told it might go down depending on market values. Worst case scenario, I expected them to go with the $24K figure and even drop that by the $500 decrease in valuation. They ended up giving me the full $24.5K, after discounting the Gladiator below invoice. I was fully prepared to write a check for $1000 more than I ended up writing to pay off the full balance.

Your dealer is not out of line to drop the value on your trade...though the drop they quoted seems excessive. You should have done some research and had KBB and NADA values written down for the day they gave you the original estimate. Then have the same thing written down for the day you go in to make the trade. In my case, the difference was $555.00 according to KBB.

And sorry to point out the obvious, but if you are upside down on your trade, you will most likely be upside down on the Gladiator...not a smart position. You might want to pay off your trade or at least get it to the point where you are not upside down before giving in to the impulse of driving a shiny new Gladiator that you may not be able to afford. If you can't live without a Gladiator, perhaps consider selling one of the vehicles in your fleet. While it was hard for me to sell my beloved '82 Scrambler, selling it allowed me to walk out of the dealership without a lien hanging over the Gladiator.

Last edited:

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide

:headbang:

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
Your better off going to another dealer and starting all over since they are now stuck on a number for your vehicle. And you should move quickly since the 2020 cars are right around the corner which means your trade is now another model year older. Which means you could see another 2k plus loss in value.

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Actually most dealers do have a crystal ball in a sense...they all use MMR (Manheim Market Report) vs KBB or NADA values, which are more consumer-based values. MMR is current auction (aka wholesale) values and scanning a VIN and entering the mileage into the app will get a dealer within $250-500 on what any car will sell for tomorrow based on real-time auction data and that’s what they are going to offer. Unless it’s a KBB ICO dealer claiming that “we will buy your car for current value!” AVOID KBB ICO dealers unless you’re ok with taking $26k on a trade vs $29k. My dealer was a KBB ICO dealer and they attempted this exact scenario...luckily I had the MMR app and login with me at time of deal and when I showed them my number, they were like ‘damn...but...damn...ok.’

Traditionally, July and August are the slowest months in the wholesale auction world, and used vehicle values slide during these months more than any other. Not to mention your vehicle being 3-4 months older...tough to stop the bleeding.

*Source: I run an online wholesale auto auction! www.eblock.com :)

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Why don’t you just sell the car privately and get a few thousand more for it than if you trade it in???

It’s not as if you have nothing else to drive. I have not traded a vehicle in in over 20 years.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Why don’t you just sell the car privately and get a few thousand more for it than if you trade it in???

It’s not as if you have nothing else to drive. I have not traded a vehicle in in over 20 years.
That's what I did. They wanted to offer 32,500 for my Silverado. I went home and within a week sold it for 39,000

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't sound like the dealer did anything wrong...60 day old quote? I side with them, and since you were within 2K of the deal, thats isn't a lot of money in the scheme of this deal. Personally this is why I also never trade vehicles in.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland

I feel you on the Scat Pack. I traded a Daytona 392. Loving the Gladiator, but there is nothing like the sound and fury of that 392!

808Gladator

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE

Check out Dave Smith Motors in Kellog, Idaho. They seem to have really great prices. I would see a lot of people driving around with their dealer plate covers when I lived in Yakima, WA. I would’ve gone there except as you can guess by my screen name I’m in Hawaii (808 area code ). Don’t know about doing the trade. Like someone else mentioned selling privately will get you more, but I understand about the hassle and payoff. Good luck finding a Gladiator
Sponsored