Sponsored

Were you fortunate enough to grow up in the 80's?

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
  • Banned
I was and even though the 80's had a lot of cringeworthy pop culture stuff, it was a better time in American history for me. I remember hearing Van Halen "jump" as an elementary school aged kid, "flight of Icarus" by Iron maiden and quiet riot was burning up the radio. I remember collecting garbage pail kid cards and watching the space shuttle explode during school as our class watched. I remember thinking Michael Jackson was the coolest dude on the planet right along with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone. Gi Joe, Transformers, Go bots, Thundercats were cartoons we watched that glorified strength and fighting for good. We didn't wear fucking bicycle helmets and if you did something stupid on your bike, you remembered it and took corrective action.

I wish I could give my son the same experience as I had but the world, American life is a totally different animal. All I can do is help him navigate through all of the bullshit. Maybe his son will get to experience the freedom and innocence that he never did.
Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I literally could have written this exact same post. I agree 100%.

I have 2 boys (11 and 5) and am also helping them navigate through the BS. They'll be well educated in school, but will also know to give a shot-out to the man upstairs, hold the door open for ladies, and give some GD respect to their elders.

Plus they know that Michael Jackson could walk on the moon and Transformers were more than meets the eye.

Thundercats, HO!! :beer:

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Nope. The 80s sounded fun. The music was good, but I missed it. I grew up in the 90s.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
WORD! :rock:

I feel like I waited a bit too long and saw the writing on the wall, so we opted out of having children. Many days I think about what I'm missing out on, but then I see what my friends and sibling are dealing with their children and think I made the right choice.

The 80's were a little funky, but looking back it was a good time to grow up even though I think maybe being born a few years sooner (Than 1973) could have been better overall.

I know for sure that I never thought I'd be seeing what I witnessing in our country today! I'm sure every generation has these thoughts and knew for sure the end was near and the next generatiuon was so unprepared....how could they possibly survive.

Sponsored

Deleted member 24880

Definitely and better time in life that’s for sure. Still love all the music from the bowling alley juke box while my parents bowled in league each week. Bob Segar and AC/DC still make me smile when I listen to them. What about HeMan and Masters of the Universe??

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
RUSH, BMX bikes, pinball, space invaders, Honda XR80, riding your bike EVERYWHERE, sneaking beer into the house, bottle rockets, real (non castrated) M80's, swimming at the quarry, hanging at the school yard, hot rods, no pollution control stuff, riding a wheelie, go karts.

Oh, and also RUSH.

Yep, hard to beat.

OP
OP
Lateralus

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
  • Banned
Definitely and better time in life that’s for sure. Still love all the music from the bowling alley juke box while my parents bowled in league each week. Bob Segar and AC/DC still make me smile when I listen to them. What about HeMan and Masters of the Universe??

Oh yea! Can't believe I forgot he man! Entertainment was just great back then. Politics didn't creep into every facet of entertainment the way it has now.

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
1980 here! I have two small kids and feel the exact same way you do, trying to give them the non sissy experience, but it's not easy in this day.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Jeeps with square headlights, Never Ending Story, Women wearing shoulder pads, Mongoose bikes were actually good, Lamborghini Countach, Ronald Reagan, Michael J Fox, Kathy Ireland, Cindy Crawford, Alf... Those were the days.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for this post. I've been wondering if that was a different time or if I just got too damn old to understand. I want to believe growing up is the same thing no matter when you do it, I hope for all your kids they get to look back like we are doing, having the same pride in their own time we have for ours. I have a scratch book from my grandfather where he details street games on cobble stones with new fangled bottle caps, and he took the time to explain how it was the greatest thing ever.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Oh my goodness, where do I start? I was born just a few weeks after America’s Bicentennial anniversary. (1976 for you millennials).

The 80’s were great, that decade produced the greatest movies, no doubt. I think the decades before and after had better music overall, but some masterpieces did emerge.

As far as innocence lost, In my opinion I see America (and the world) as pre-September 11th and post-September 11th. There are very few events in history that as you watch them unfold you know the world is changed forever, the world you woke up in is gone and you go to sleep in a different and worse world. But I digress.

As far as our current situation, I blame social media 100%. We are raising a generation of narcissists. My two college age daughters can’t go 5 fucking seconds without taking a picture of themselves and posting it to social media, looking for that hit of dopamine they get with each “like”. I blame social media for the political division. It’s manufactured by media, social and mainstream.

Gah, I need to stop.

Back to the 80’s.

He-Man! How could yall forget He-Man? GI Joe, He-Man, Transformers, and Spaceman Lego sets were my obsessions.

The movies are countless....Indiana Jones trilogy first and foremost....The Goonies...National Lampoons “Vacations”...Weird Science....Top Gun....there are hundreds!

Ravens63

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Fraud Examiner
Great times. Had a 79 Jeep CJ5 I purchased new for $4,800. Also had a Yamaha YZ 250E I raced at the time. And yes Rush. Ahhhhhh.....to be young again.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I was born in 84, but i still remember bits and parts of the 80's and I do miss it. I miss being little, but I also realize the world (or America in general) was a much better place then.

Now I have 3 small ones of my own, and I am ashamed, and fearful for the world they are growing up in. I just hate it, and wish things were for them, like it was for me.

Then again, maybe their todays, will by like my yesterdays.

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
Okay I am a bit older than you all...turned 20 in 1980.....I got to actually see Van Halen opening to Black Sabbath on their first real tour....and yes I saw David Lee Roth actually jump over his mike stand while singing Jump......I was in my teens during the 70s...damn that seems so long ago...but I cherish that time as much as you all cherish the 80s. How does the saying go...”I may be old but I got to see all of the cool bands”
Sponsored